Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

whats a good VST with nice ambient stuff...?

Bansaw

I've got MOTU Ethno and that contains some nice ambient stuff, but can anyone else recommend a virtual instrument that has a nice selection of ambient washes and beds?

Reaper, i7-7700k, Win10, 16GB, 2TB, 500Mb SSD, MOTU Ethno & Symphonic, Studiologic 990Xp 88-key, Behringer UM2

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Absynth, or Alchemy (the latter is a greatly expanded version of Cameleon 5000, which uses additive synthesis).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Notice how the vendors all "help us out" by naming their ambient synths starting with the letter "A". :-)

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Of course, this brings up the (seemingly obvious) fact that virtually any instrument can be used for 'ambient' music. Case in point, Brian Eno and his use of the DX7, which in the hands of 99% of the population is a bright, clangorous, percussive instrument, but turns into a velvety blanket of sound in Eno's hands.

Of course, if someone wants to hit the "ambient" preset on a VST, they're very likely going to be creating just more of the same as everyone else that's doing the same thing.

Uh oh; I feel a 'learn how to program your synths' rant coming on... time to go grab some lunch. ;)

Of course, if someone wants to hit the "ambient" preset on a VST, they're very likely going to be creating just more of the same as everyone else that's doing the same thing.

Uh oh; I feel a 'learn how to program your synths' rant coming on... time to go grab some lunch. ;)

With the thousands of presets that come with today's hardware & software synths, most people aren't motivated to do any of their own programming... sad.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Most of the vst out there are able to make great ambient sounds, when used with the right effects. Even the most sterile preset can be turned into ambient heaven, especially if you play around with a modular host (like EnergyXT): just pick a bunch of vsts and effects, and patch them together in a creative and unusual fashion, e.g, delay into a chorus and phaser, fed back into the delay with a resonant filter in the feedback loop... it's also great fun !

Of course, this brings up the (seemingly obvious) fact that virtually any instrument can be used for 'ambient' music. Case in point, Brian Eno and his use of the DX7, which in the hands of 99% of the population is a bright, clangorous, percussive instrument, but turns into a velvety blanket of sound in Eno's hands.

He must have had a few fingers in NI's FM8, because it's heavy on the ambience, and is phoquing amazing.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

Absynth

Absynth is great, and best at ambience when you want to lull the listener into a false sense of musical security, and then tear their heads off with a broadsword and large sharp teeth.

Scary stuff.

He must have had a few fingers in NI's FM8, because it's heavy on the ambience, and is phoquing amazing.

Y'know, I've owned Komplete 5 (and, therefore, FM8) for months now (since their big sale prior to the release of 6), and I have yet to run FM8. You've got me intrigued, now... :cool:

Absynth is great, and best at ambience when you want to lull the listener into a false sense of musical security, and then tear their heads off with a broadsword and large sharp teeth.

Scary stuff.

LOL... nicely put. :thu:

Y'know, I've owned Komplete 5 (and, therefore, FM8) for months now (since their big sale prior to the release of 6), and I have yet to run FM8. You've got me intrigued, now... :cool:

I've run a few of them thru the morphing function (grid where you drag a little ball around), very cool.

I'd never checked it out when it was available as a single plugin, cuz I figured it was mostly DX style sounds. However like you, after I bought K5, I discovered it. Has some nice effects you can apply as well.

• 11 months later...
Wow, resurrecting a thread a year later, almost to the day. :thu:

Search is my friend, Sven. You should try it sometime!

;)

ROTFLMAO!

Was it because you just discovered Steamworx, and wanted to share? Normally stuff like this pops up when someone asks about it... but if you're that stoked by the software, maybe I'll check it out. ;):rawk:

Archived