Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

touch screen all the way

zephonic

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I work so much more efficiently with a mouse and key commands with cubase, I can't even imagine others can be as efficient otherwise.

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

For some reason I have an aversion to touch screen, not sure why but I don't want anything to do with it.

Both my Korg Triton & M3 have touch screens--a valuable tool onstage.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Not into this. You need key commands. Life on a DAW is more than what a mouse can do. It's what a mouse combined with a keyboard can do together.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Yeah I've got to have a keyboard in front of me too. And not a virtual one either, a real one. Nothing wrong with touch screens I guess, just my own comfort zone. Neat vid though - once I killed the audio.

Beware of small touchscreens (ie, anything less than 19"). Unless you're using custom software, designed with large, graphical controls with a finger-worth of space between them (or at least a finger-worth width control), then the typically crowded DAW interface will be unmanagable. You'll have trouble accidentally touching the wrong control, or struggling to grab the item you want. You'll probably end up taking more time to operate the UI than if you used a mouse. The monitor for that YouTube demo appears to be much larger than a 19". In fact, it looks like it could even be 24" or more.

Also remember that you need to have your arm raised, not supported on a desk like with a mouse, so using a touchscreen for a long time, without relaxing your arm frequently, can literally be a pain in the shoulder.

Touchscreens are best for incidental use, in a live situation. For example, I use one live to make patch selections, and switch drum beats. That means a couple presses before I start a song, and then nothing more until the song is over. Works much better than a keyboard/mouse. But I wouldn't use a touchscreen for intensive operation of a UI (like shown in that YouTube demo. That guy's shoulder was probably getting tired by the end of the demo).

Any good touch interface does not bother you with window management and moving stuff around. Context-switching, perhaps - but not rescaling and minimizing. It's why non-touch OSes didn't take off.

Not into this. You need key commands. Life on a DAW is more than what a mouse can do. It's what a mouse combined with a keyboard can do together.

I am sure that touch (multi-touch especially) can handle life on a DAW :laugh: that better than keyboard/mouse combi. Just a matter of getting used to it.

If the iPhone is any indication, I can't wait until Apple brings multi-touch to the pro-environment.

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

Methinks that Mouse < Keyboard < [some direct control of recording interface such as touch surface]

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I am sure that touch (multi-touch especially) can handle life on a DAW :laugh: that better than keyboard/mouse combi. Just a matter of getting used to it.

I agree. Just read the specs and it´s promising IMO.

A 19" screen(without the stand)would fit into a beveled rack together w/ any 19" VST player.

For DAW usage, the 22" screen is better and there´s no reason why not using a keyboard and/or mouse in addition if necessary.

But I prefer a dual screen setup for a DAW.

No idea whether it´s possible to use 2 of these simultaneously or not.

A.C.

I don't like it. You're going to be reaching up in the air and pressing a screen all day? Or are you going to have it flat in front of you. In that case you have to reach reach. The mouse does all this with less desktop real estate, and gives you greater precision, especially when you use it in conjunction with a keyboard.

And again, the keyboard mouse combo gives you more than you could get with simple touch screen capability alone. If I click somewhere with my mouse, it will do 5 different things depending on what I'm pressing on my keyboard. How would you implement that with a simple touch screen?

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I don't like it. You're going to be reaching up in the air and pressing a screen all day? Or are you going to have it flat in front of you. In that case you have to reach reach. The mouse does all this with less desktop real estate, and gives you greater precision, especially when you use it in conjunction with a keyboard.

And again, the keyboard mouse combo gives you more than you could get with simple touch screen capability alone. If I click somewhere with my mouse, it will do 5 different things depending on what I'm pressing on my keyboard. How would you implement that with a simple touch screen?

As I said, my main intention is to use a touchscreen in a live rig w/ virtual instruments. I´d only do some editing of patches during rehearsals. During a show, I´d never touch it (but see what happens). Control of virtual devices would be done by midi controllers knobs & sliders & midi prg.-changes.

All screens can be wall mounted,- I´d use this option and mount it into my rack using a rackshelf adjustable to an angle I prefer.

No computer keyboard and mouse needed for me.

DAW usage is another story and I have my screen setups for DAWs anyway using 6 flatscreens.

A.C.

I'd want to use a touchscreen as a complementary device. Mixing, filter sweeps, and so forth - all things that are better as tactile experiences IMO, and things that translate well to a touch screen.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

I'd want to use a touchscreen as a complementary device. Mixing, filter sweeps, and so forth - all things that are better as tactile experiences IMO, and things that translate well to a touch screen.

+1

I'd much rather push a virtual fader with my finger on a touchscreen than with a mouse.

I have a 13" flip top and I almost never use the touch screen. A big finger is not accurate enough, plus you cannot see though your hand or finger so when trying to make small adjustments and you cannot always see what you are doing. The flip top came with a stylus but if I'm going to use a stylus I might as well stick with a mouse.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Archived