Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

EV - ZXA1 powered speakers

Strategery

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1) Losing a lot of bottom end at 60-20K.

2) Scary that they're specifically recommending a highpass at 100hz - i.e. they think you should use a sub with them.

3) Max SPL 123 dB - solid for its size, but not for the price range.

4) If you're using it as a kb monitor and are willing to pay for compact and lightweight, go for it.

Thanks for the info Griff.

Any suggestions in that price range and semi-portability?

I'm assuming JBL, right?

Something ballsy, yet not huge and with killer sound!

I have a small 8 channel mix with effects...but I'm selling my Mackie 808S and 2 Peavey SP2's.

I'm trying to get rid of some redundant gear.

Thanks,

Randy

"Just play!"

What's your specific application? I mean, for a grand, you can put together a nice little separates package with a rack power amp and some nice 15s that will give you plenty of bottom end.

They won't be as light, but, like I said, if you're willing to make sacrifices to keep it light and compact, then go for it. There's no replacing excursion, and 8" drivers ain't gonna give you enough of it to get into the lower frequencies without help from a sub.

Hi Griff...thanks for your advice.

I'm 52 now, so over the years...I've already been through the racks that took 2 people to carry.

I started down sizing my PA's several years back and am now down to the Mackie 808S with the 2 Peavey SP2's.

I have a Roland Fantom X6 and run it through a Roland KC550.

Basically, the Peavey SP2's are just getting to be a load bacause I have to carry them myself...and I have to keep them in my upstairs office.

For that reason, since I already have an nice little 8 channel mixer that I use for recording, I'm looking to replace my present PA and go to powered speakers.

Oh yeah...I am considering a small JBL powered Sub...just for those occasions when it would be really needed.

Also, when you have speakers that have the sub-out...can you use just ONE sub...or will that screw up the stereo field?

I hope that helps and thanks. :)

Randy

"Just play!"

Low bass frequencies do not show much directional effect, so there is no need for more than one subwoofer (unless a higher SPL is desired).

I'm 68, don't want to carry heavy gear. If I were buying right now (and had the money), I'd buy a pair of the QSC K12's. What I have accumulated starts very light and small, and scales upward. A single Roland CM-30 (30 watt, 6.5" speaker) monitor, a pair of JBL EON 10G2 (like them very much, 27 pounds or something like that each), a pair of EV SXa-100+ (12", 42 lbs), a pair of EON 15G2 (46 lb each, all the bass I need for keys), and a Trace Elliot 150w bass head with a 2x10 and a 1x15 cabinet for real bass stuff - but they are not light, so they don't get moved much.

For what you are wanting, the EV 8" along with a good sub (carry when needed) would probably work. I know that my JBL 10's do a very good job, and I can add a single EON 15 if I want more bass, just have to turn the bass knob up and the treble knob down - pretend it is a subwoofer.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

One more line in people, that's all I ask :facepalm:

+1

Indeed... How hard is it to add that ? Conceptually, somewhat like designing a current "controller" with 76 keys :deadhorse::deadhorse:

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Hi Griff...thanks for your advice.

I'm 52 now, so over the years...I've already been through the racks that took 2 people to carry.

I started down sizing my PA's several years back and am now down to the Mackie 808S with the 2 Peavey SP2's.

I have a Roland Fantom X6 and run it through a Roland KC550.

Basically, the Peavey SP2's are just getting to be a load bacause I have to carry them myself...and I have to keep them in my upstairs office.

For that reason, since I already have an nice little 8 channel mixer that I use for recording, I'm looking to replace my present PA and go to powered speakers.

Oh yeah...I am considering a small JBL powered Sub...just for those occasions when it would be really needed.

Also, when you have speakers that have the sub-out...can you use just ONE sub...or will that screw up the stereo field?

I hope that helps and thanks. :)

Randy

Totally understand. I'm merely 37, and due to my deteriorating back, any chance I get to lighten the load is a good one. However, with the new breed of digital amps, you can add one to your existing rack without making it ridiculously heavy to lug. Heck, my current 10-space PA rack (which includes a venerable Crown SS amp and an even more venerable Crest SS amp) is still an easy hoist on a convertible dolly (does double duty both as a "piano dolly" (4-wheeled) and a traditional 2-wheel mode) and weighs under 50 pounds. If I went to a couple of the newer digitals, that weight could drop all the way down to around 32 pounds - almost within my doc's recommended maximum for me by myself.

It's all a matter of how you play it, bro. If you're going solo, there's nothing wrong with taking along a 6-spacer with a single power amp that can be used to power both a pair of lightweight mains (one side) and a sub (the other side).

Of course, if you're completely in love with stereo, despite its limitations in a live setting (read: You're screwing yourself trying to run stereo in a club, because half the audience will miss half the program unless you buy wide-throw power horn or dipole speakers that weigh more than you and your rack combined) then there's only so much that can be done to satisfy you.

hey moodyblueskeys, have you auditioned the qsc k12's? After you mentioned them I looked them up and comparing them with my existing EV sxa360, which I was getting ready to buy a second one of, the qsc's look like they have a multitude of better features (ie two direct outs, perfect for me since I use two keyboards live).

Great info guys. :)

Yeah, I checked out the QSC K12's today in my local GC and they flat out rocked!!

And yes...fantastic features!

Also, they had the 2/12 QSC hooked up and it was unbelievable as well.

Sure...they have to be in your budget.

The QSC K12's are $799 each and the sub is $1100 dollars I think.

That's a chunk of change but what a sound.

The GC guys also said you don't have to have 2 subs either...you can use the K12's with one.

Still, more than want to spend...so I have some decisions to make.

Thanks for all the info and I'm still checking for new info as well. :)

Randy

"Just play!"

hey moodyblueskeys, have you auditioned the qsc k12's? After you mentioned them I looked them up and comparing them with my existing EV sxa360, which I was getting ready to buy a second one of, the qsc's look like they have a multitude of better features (ie two direct outs, perfect for me since I use two keyboards live).

Unfortunately, I have not auditioned them. I live in a small town, and the nearest place that would be likely to have them is several hours away. I have bought before (especially from companies with a decent return privilege) based on recommendations from people whom I trust.

My ev's have one mic and one line input. The JBL 15's have three inputs, one of which can be either line or mic, and the JBL 10's have three ins, but the two line only ins are unbalanced and built into a single 1/4" jack. I use a separate small mixer that I can place near my boards, it is small enough to fit in one of the JBL bags - makes it easier to turn anything up or down or change the balance or even run through an effects box.

I sometimes just use one board, but sometimes two, and might even plug in a bass or autoharp occasionally.

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Ok...after much reading and seeing & hearing these powered speakers in person...

...the QSC "K" line is looking like the "GO TO" speakers..albeit a little more expensive.

The K8, K10, and K12 all have a 1000w amp and the same controls on back.

Having said that....

Here's one more question for you all here.

1- Without a 1000w K-Sub...would the K8 suffice?

2- With the K-Sub...would you pair the K8 with it?

3- Or, which alone mains would you use and which ones would you pair with the K-Sub?

Thanks,

Randy

"Just play!"

Okay, I am gonna jump on this thread since the last thing we need is another powered speaker thread. Been reading up on every thread I can find to learn about good powered monitor choices.

My application is: I need a personal amplification option for my KB's that could someday grow into a small band capable PA. I already have a mixer and am thinking powered monitor is the way to go... So, Read the PA Bible, read every thread I could find on the subject. I run a Yamaha Motif and a Hammond XK-2. I figure I need a 15 as opposed to a 12 for the better low end for the Hammond.

I made a chart tracking SPL, Weight, Freq. Response, H/V angles, etc. for all the major players....

My primary question is surrounding a JBL EON 315 vs. an EON 515. The 515 is $300 more then the 315. 280w vs. 450w. But, from what I can see, the only real measurable difference is the 515 fr. resp is 42-18k where the 315 is 50-18k and SPL is 129 vs. 127. Is this a bigger difference than I realize? Because it seems like a lot of scratch for a little bit of performance.

So, please, educate me....

Korg Kronos 2 61, Kronos 1 61, Dave Smith Mopho x4, 1954 Hammond C2, Wurlitzer 200A, Yamaha Motif 6, Casio CDP-100, Alesis Vortex Wireless, too much PA gear!

Strategery: The 8" QSCs along with sub will give enough response, because the sub can handle all the lows (like Griff, I don't know exactly how much space you are trying to fill, whether it to be just for your keys or vocals and keys, or everything.

Unless you need a lot of bass, a pair of K12s without a sub is cheaper than a pair of K8s with a sub. These comments are made without exact knowledge of your overall purpose, so are somewhat general.

Jimbo: My EONs are G2 instead of G3 - so they only had one 15" model. I don't have indepth knowledge, but I would strongly expect that the higher priced one is not just for a more powerful amplifier. The woofer and horn both have to handle that extra power, and are also probably a little higher in overall quality.

I'm using a pair of the EON 15G2 at church now for both monitor and overall sound. From time to time, we do outdoor services. I have no problem at all being heard, in spite of all the efforts of the teenager playing lead guitar (of course, he doesn't hava a full stack Marshall). Note that a Fender 2x15 cab with Trace bass amp does work better for the low B string on my 5-string bass.

Extra money isn't tied just to power, but to overall quality. For that matter, the EONs are on the low end of the PA world - some of the high-end stuff is $10,000 plus for a single cabinet (Meyer and other similar companies).

Hey - we NEED a powered speaker thread every few months, to fit in between the RED keyboard versus other keyboard threads, the club owners are clueless threads, and the chick singer threads.

Jim

Ok...sorry, I guess I didn't address your questions. :blush:

I'm mainly a guitar player...but I'm learning keys more and more.

I have a Roland KC550 for my Fantom X6 that I use now, but if I change out my present PA..which is a Mackie 808S with 2 Peavey SP2's...I will mainly use the new PA for my keys while at home so I can run it in stereo.

If I'm gigging out, then these new powered speakers would possibly be mains if another band member doesn't have a PA.

Money wise, I only have the money for the 2 KC8, 10's, or 12's.

Hopefully in the near future, I'll be able to pick up the Ksub.

So..if I can...I'd like to sell the Roland KC550 as well and put that money into the new PA as well.

If not...maybe I should keep the KC550...and just buy the new PA separately.

Make sense?

To make a long story short....I'm mainly playing at home now, but in the future, I'm trying to start playing out more.

I really appreciate all of you guys advice. :)

Randy

"Just play!"

My primary question is surrounding a JBL EON 315 vs. an EON 515. The 515 is $300 more then the 315. 280w vs. 450w. But, from what I can see, the only real measurable difference is the 515 fr. resp is 42-18k where the 315 is 50-18k and SPL is 129 vs. 127. Is this a bigger difference than I realize? Because it seems like a lot of scratch for a little bit of performance.

So, please, educate me....

The speakers are not the same. The 515 is loaded with the same woofer as the next higher up in the JBL series: The MRX/PRX - a much more robust speaker. Unfortunately the 515 doesn't have the MRX/PRX's sweet 1.5" exit compression driver though. They kept the cheap 1" 315 compression driver in the 515.

If I were to buy a powered JBL system right now it would be the PRX. Sure it's more cash but they are so much more speaker than the Eons. Plus they don't look like baby coffins. :P

• 3 months later...

Sorry to drag up an ageing thread but dearly need advice.

Have done google, but would like personal advice.

Hopefully by now some one has used them.

Havent found these EV - ZXA1 in Sydneys outer suburbs shops to try [have looked but the suburbs have long become generic family shops, unlike years ago]. Indeed dont even know if they have even reached our shores but i am certain they are what I need..

I have badly damaged lungs [50% capacity] and literally cannot lug heavy gear..today I carried a bunch of 15kg items and was stuffed 6ft into the carry, after a few 6ft carries, I was down on the ground taking breath [shite its getting worse]...so my current gear is out of contention because of this [damn even the virtually new rig]..as it weighs in close to 15kg each speaker and more for head..[half what I used to lug]

starting new duo and just got offered work once we get it together but I cant carry this gear anymore..enter the EV - ZXA1

I have 3 or 4 PA setups at home I can choose, but cant carry any of them..

my ask is , has anyone actually used two of these as FOH possibly with or without a sub with vocals, midi files and keys, [the duo partner will supply sub..I hope..probably try the guitar if he supplies sub]

I am one who prefers low volume gigs, but the guitarist likes heavy band gigs, so its gonna probably need a sub for those times

any comments , advice help or am I dreaming?

ps..any Aussies seen these in Sydney shops yet?

This may be slight sacrilege here, but I like the Behringer B208D, they are under 15 pounds each and, I think, sound remarkably good. Presumably not EV sound quality (I haven't heard the EV), but surprisingly good, small, light, and cheap. They also have a 10" model that's about 18 pounds.

I know behringer gets knocked a lot on reliability, and I've had terrible luck with their mixers and would not buy another... but I like their powered speakers.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

thanks scott

will check into them too

I am not opposed to their gear...

so am happy to see them...

I remember a certain Peavey company that copped a knocking when they started, similar to Behringer, but its rare to hear them knocked now.

I take every manufacturer on their individual items...every lead is worth a follow

cheers Aussie.

Still love my EV SX360's... No need for a sub... No one on stage can drown me out either. EV makes fantastic powered speakers.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Archived