Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Marge Levin RIP

NoahZark

The passing of the remaining half of an iconic Washington duo:

Marge Levin Obit

It's hard to believe the claim in the article that Washington Music Center sells more instruments than any other single music store in the United States (especially in the Internet age with mega e-tailers like Sweetwater and Musicians Friend out there), but for any musician who has lived in the Washington area (and many who didn't), Chuck's is an absolute institution and has played a major part in our musical upbringing and education.

- Noah

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I worked there in the late 80's after school, and then for a few summers during college. I remember Mrs. Levin fondly; she was always at the front counter, and on the rare occasion when the store was not busy it was always a treat to stop and chat with her. Not living in MD anymore, I haven't been in the store in years; still order from them though.

I have heard the claim about WMC selling more instruments for years and years, and I believe it. I remember having to schlep gear from the warehouses (3 of them at that time), and having to load and unload the trucks on the front street.

A funny story: one of my first days working there, Robert Levin got on the elevator and read my name tag. Asked if my dad was a music teacher (he was), and then told me that my dad had been his band teacher....and told him to quit playing. My dad still denies this story, but it was a good way to "break the ice" with one of the "bosses".

James

Wow. I'm just getting this news here.

Mrs. Levin was a very nice lady and definitely a fixture in the store along with Chuck.

The Levins were indeed an iconic duo. She has rejoined him on the other side. RIP. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

RIP to Marge Levin... the store has owned a pc of my heart for years. we bought our 1st PA from them back in 1971-72. I also got a used Rhodes and my now sold Ensoniq KS32 from them over the years. I cannot tell you how many times I call them for a price and they are always competitive. GREAT store to go hang out in too. Wish I was closer I'd drop by today.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

Archived