Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Chopin was actually a jazzer

muiriled

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ha. Chris Thile described as "some folkie."

Guess that makes Edgar Meyer "some bass player" and Béla Fleck "some banjo player." :)

Larry.

Even funnier to me are the Youtube comments comparing poor Thile to that vampire dude from the Twilight series.

Thile inspired me to learn and practice Partita #3 on guitar (got plenty of other Bach to practice on piano).

In the 50s and 60s, there was a movement in music called " Third Stream." It was basically a fusion of Jazz and classical, what we are talking about in this thread. Here's the wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_stream

In many ways, it produced some of the most ridiculous music ever written. :laugh: My favorite was the classic "Scheherazade" done in a version called "Scheherajazz-A symphony in Jazz". :laugh: It's about as cornball as you can get.

A lot of jazzed up classical stuff is cornball or humor, like the OP's video that muiriled/delirium posted.

The reverse though ('classicizing' jazz), "Third Stream" also produced some amazing music. I loved the variations on 'Django' and Monk's 'CrissCross' on Gunther Schuller's Jazz Abstractions album. He wrote the string parts and variations, with a wild cast of performing players including Scott LaFaro, Jim Hall, Ornette Coleman, Bill Evans, Eric Dolphy, and produced by John Lewis. A fascinating listen.

I'm lost. Because someone does a jazzy interpretation of a classical work, it means the original composer was a "jazz" composer?

of course not, I'm just teasing. My point is music has no boundaries when it's good - then interpretation makes it more classic or more jazz or whatever. I know both Chopin and Bach improvised a lot so they were kinda early jazzers. Is there a better way to name "improvised music"?

I'm lost. Because someone does a jazzy interpretation of a classical work, it means the original composer was a "jazz" composer?

of course not, I'm just teasing. My point is music has no boundaries when it's good - then interpretation makes it more classic or more jazz or whatever. I know both Chopin and Bach improvised a lot so they were kinda early jazzers. Is there a better way to name "improvised music"?

I think a better way would be to say "ornamentation" or "cadenza", since that is would they really did. They did flourishes, variations, they veered from the printed page. However, it was still highly structured.

The Cadenza was the only thing that could compare to todays improvisation.

Archived