Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Experience with Yorkville Amps?

MuzikTeechur

I have an opportunity to buy a lightly-used Yorkville 200K amp for about $200.

I read all the specs, and I know it's heavy, but reportedly reliable. I have a perfectly good Behringer KX1200 that has survived about 300 gigs with zero issues, but I'm looking to retire it and get something with better sound. I know most folks on this forum are death on Behringer, but it's what I had and it did its job with no fuss.

Looking on Musician's Friend I see the Yorkvilles are far more expensive than other amps. Is there a good reason for this? Any great endorsements or raving condemnations of this amp?

Thanks for your opinions!

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It is canadian, that is the only reason why it is so expensive. I have used various Yorkville equipment over the years, speakers mostly. Diaphragms kept going out on the horns, on the pair I remember. Yorkville is not worth the extra money IMO over any comparable equipment.

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

I used Yorkville 300k amps for 7 years (just retired them in 2009). I went from using high end components to the Yorkville combo and NEVER regretted it. Sounds great, super reliable (I never replaced a horn or speaker, never needed a repair, and they went on every single gig and rehearsal) and they performed wonderfully. I wouldnt hesitate to use them again, and recommend that at $200, youre looking at a steal. Go For It!
Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Yorkville still does things mostly the old fashioned way (actually build their own stuff) which is why it's so expensive new.

Used Yorkville is on a much more level playing field, and often can be found for bargain prices - like your find. That's a reallty cheap price for a quality amp - as long as you can handle it's weight. But it sounds like you know what you're getting into Lonnie.

FWIW I have two sets of Yorkville Elite speakers that I grabbed used in separate deals for a fraction of their original price. I absolutely love them. The compression drivers in both sets are expensive B&C DE-750s - very smooth, sweet, and reliable.

I haven't used any newer Yorkville gear, but what they were selling in the 90s was not great. But they were priced to the budget market, and the quality probably matched the price.

Anybody that consistently blows components should examine how these components are being used. Most major manufacturers are putting out gear that, no matter the sound, is not prone to failure. The crappyest sounding piece of gear in the world will still get rave reviews from the price-concerned individual so long as it keeps working. The best gear in the world will get trashed if it breaks down with regularity. It is also tough to make a profit even on cheap gear if you have to keep servicing it under warranty.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

I'm actually quite impressed by the Yorkville combo amp that my new jazz bandleader has set up in his home so tht people don't have to bring their own gear. I'm using it on both upright bass and bass guitar and it seems noiseless and fairly even in its response. It definitely helps me blend with the drums and keyboards (and acoustic horns).

I think the bandleader is using a Yorkville combo amp for his Korg Triton. I'll try to remember to check model numbers at tonight's rehearsal.

It's not surprising that Yorkville delivers dependadable quality for low cost, as they are part of the same group that owns A.R.T.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

+1 on the Yorkville Bloc 100K.....just took it out of the truck. I've used this since 1989 and it only had one problem: It was the first amp that Yorkville used CAD/CAM manufacturing on. The trouble was they made a 50, 100, and 200w models all with a similar cabinet and motherboard. Well, mine came down the line as a 100w, but the programmer had it set for a 50, so even though all the components were there, only half the power circuit was soldered. I played the thing for 6 months until it got real quiet because everything finally shook loose. When I took it to the shop that's the report I was given, and the tech just took the parts out of the bottom of the tray and soldered them in place: this repair was on Yorkville's nut. I still own one of their RVS II heads and cabinets bought new in 1979....this was one of the first Leslie simulations available, and for it's time it was great. All 5 channels still play, and it's still LOUD.

I highly recommend Yorkville amps.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

Oh, it's a bass amp and not a keyboard amp that my bandleader has set up for my use during rehearsals at his house. I could probably find a match for it on-line, but I doubt anyone would be interested.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Archived