Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2010-2011 Thread

Geoff Grace

Props to the Pack for putting up a good fight at the Pats' crib.

From what I recall, the Pats' offense was fairly conservative during Brady's first full season as a starter - it didn't look as "elaborate" as it does now. The playbook was gradually opened up over time.

Despite the final score, KC struggled at times at St. Louis. An upset loss to Tennesee next week is still possible.

SD may have Crayton and Floyd back for the Cincy game. Gates may miss it due to his lingering plantar fasciitis.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That easily could/should have been a .500 team, even with a third string QB in for most of the season.

Definitely. I still think the ending of their first game (Screwy call against Calvin Johnson for putting the ball on the ground after he had clearly caught it) ruined their season. They totally should have won that.

They'll certainly be back next year...

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

In all honesty, I think tonight was the combination of three big factors:

1) The Pats only dressed 5 DL's tonight, thanks to injuries. That was big in the second half, particularly in the 3rd, when they couldn't get off the field for all that GB running.

2) Belichick had no scouting data on Flynn, and the Pats were practicing expecting Rogers to play, which meant they were rehearsing (and they ran) a number of plays that called for LB spies to hang out at the LOS waiting for the QB to be flushed and take off.

3) GB was embarrassed, angry, and humiliated after losing to the Lions, and the press on this game was even more infuriating, so they were playing (I believe) over their heads a bit tonight on both sides of the ball.

- Congrats, BTW, go to Brady, who broke Kosar's record for consecutive passes thrown without an INT (despite a couple near misses)....

That's funny, I also thought tonight was a combination of three big factors:

1) The Packers' defensive line has been decimated by injuries. That was big in the second half, when Brady ran a no huddle offense.

2) The Packers' offensive backfield has been decimated by injuries. No Aaron Rodgers; no Ryan Grant. Both players expected to play the Patriots before they were injured.

3) New England was embarrassed, angry, and humiliated after losing to the Browns 34-14 back in November, so they've been playing (I believe) over their heads a bit since then on both sides of the ball.

Sorry, I couldn't resist! ;)

(And yes, congrats to Brady. :cool: )

Best,

Geoff

Well played, sir, well played. ;)

Terrell Owens out for season

Terrell Owens began the Bengals' win over the Browns on the bench. He ended it bound for the IR.

Demoted as starter, along with Chad Ochocinco, by the team before the game, Owens suffered a torn meniscus and left before catching a pass. The team confirmed after the game that Owens wouldn't return this season.

Owens' first year with the 3-11 Bengals was fairly successful from an individual standpoint. Though he had been held silent of late, Owens still caught 72 passes for 938 yards and nine touchdowns. But, as is typical with Owens, the season also consisted of a fair share of drama.

In separate incidents, Owens called the Bengals "terrible," criticized the team's play-calling and blamed the coaches and owner for the team's failings before admitting he was wrong for the last point.

Owens is only under contract with the Bengals through the end of this year.

:rolleyes:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Good Riddance. TO says he can play two more seasons. I wonder with whom? :sick:

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Small consolation, but a win over GB next week, at Lambeau, should get the NYG into the playoffs.

Man that Philly win was a perfect storm of bad. Right up there with the Cunningham playoff game, the Garcia playoff game. Tough one.

Man I'd almost forgotten the history of the Eagles & Giants and all the misery we've put you guys thru of late. ESPN did a brief highlight(lowlight) reel. and I was surprized.

I am sorry for yesterday, cause you're my bro, but here's an even greater consolation.. The GIANTS are multiple SB champs! The EAGLES have never... ever, ever, ever, ever, won the big one! Nothing's changed that yet.

TROLL . . . ish.

Very honerable play tonight by GREEN BAY!
Props to the Pack for putting up a good fight at the Pats' crib.

Thank you both! :thu:

Seahawks doing their best to keep things close with the Rams... still tied for 1st place!!!

This deserves a :D

Small consolation, but a win over GB next week, at Lambeau, should get the NYG into the playoffs.

And conversely, if Green Bay can win out, they should grab that Wild Card spot.

True, I guess. Difference it is a truly a must-win for GB, and only a nearly must-win for NYG.

Well put, John.

Go Minny.

:thu:

Well played, sir, well played. ;)

Thank you, Scott. You are too kind.

Man I'd almost forgotten the history of the Eagles & Giants and all the misery we've put you guys thru of late. ESPN did a brief highlight(lowlight) reel. and I was surprized.

I am sorry for yesterday, cause you're my bro, but here's an even greater consolation.. The GIANTS are multiple SB champs! The EAGLES have never... ever, ever, ever, ever, won the big one! Nothing's changed that yet.

Gracious in victory, Jay. Good point; that's some consolation prize!

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Terrell Owens out for season

Terrell Owens began the Bengals' win over the Browns on the bench. He ended it bound for the IR.

Demoted as starter, along with Chad Ochocinco, by the team before the game, Owens suffered a torn meniscus and left before catching a pass. The team confirmed after the game that Owens wouldn't return this season.

Owens' first year with the 3-11 Bengals was fairly successful from an individual standpoint. Though he had been held silent of late, Owens still caught 72 passes for 938 yards and nine touchdowns. But, as is typical with Owens, the season also consisted of a fair share of drama.

In separate incidents, Owens called the Bengals "terrible," criticized the team's play-calling and blamed the coaches and owner for the team's failings before admitting he was wrong for the last point.

Owens is only under contract with the Bengals through the end of this year.

:rolleyes:

dB

Wow! The Chargers are going to have to work extra hard to lose to the Bengals now, despite having to play in cold weather.

I would hope that the Vikings have had enough of troublesome receivers. TO is a cancer, so is Moss.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I hear Brett Favre is planning to warm up to see if he can play tonight. Man, of all conditions to try and come back from an injury!

Maybe someone told him to put it on ice? :freak:

I can't say I blame him. This is probably the closest he'll come to playing on the frozen tundra of Lambeau Field again. And, if he still cares about the Packers at all, this is his last chance to help his former team.

Best,

Geoff

As the sting of yesterday's loss mends, I find myself having a growing appreciation for Patriots guard Dan Connolly's 71 yard return last night. It was the longest return by a lineman in the history of the NFL.

I'd be a lot happier if the Patriots had scored one less touchdown, but I'm glad they converted this particular run into points.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtufeJDGk28

Best,

Geoff

As the sting of yesterday's loss mends, I find myself having a growing appreciation for Patriots guard Dan Connolly's 71 yard return last night. It was the longest return by a lineman in the history of the NFL.

Now that was quite a run!!!!

OT: Maryland has fired Ralph Friedgen, and with one year left on his contract? WTF?

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Looks like Minny won't be good for much tonight and the Bears--quite an up and down team--will clinch the division and have a leg up in the race for the 2 seed because they've got head to head over Philly.
Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

This game is funny.. The Vikings defensive players don't even want to go to the frozen ground while tackling rb's..

Vikings players afraid of the cold?

New era indeed.

They have to play in antiquated open stadiums like the Bears do. :D

It was the longest return by a lineman in the history of the NFL.

CLIP on #34 of the Patriots.

Nope. It wasn't below the waist.

Steve Young made an interesting comment during the post-game about the complete collapse of the Vikings' long-term stability. Just last season, they extended their head coach Chilldress' contract, resigned Favre (coming off the best season of his career), and were looking like serious contenders. Now, less than a year later, they're not only suddenly without that same head coach and quarterback, but without a stadium. Yikes. Talk about a quick jump from being in a good place to starting from scratch.

ESPN says Brett Favre will start tonight. I hope he knows what he's doing.

Best,

Geoff

Philly fans are offering to play on a High School Football Field and let Brett play without a helmet if that's what he wants.

Sports announcers are relishing this one when noting "Favre left with a head injury" for comic effect before discussing his decision to play.

[steve Young made an interesting comment during the post-game about the complete collapse of the Vikings' long-term stability. Just last season, they extended their head coach Chilldress' contract, resigned Favre (coming off the best season of his career), and were looking like serious contenders. Now, less than a year later, they're not only suddenly without that same head coach and quarterback, but without a stadium. Yikes. Talk about a quick jump from being in a good place to starting from scratch.

Not to mention that the Vikings' second string quarterback is on IR and their third string quarterback was playing tonight with a hamstring injury.

And the whole collapse began with an injury to their first string quarterback last year in the NFC Championship Game against the last team to play without a stadium.

Best,

Geoff

Can't say as I've ever seen so many excuses offered for a win.

In all honesty, I think tonight was the combination of three big factors:

1) The Pats only dressed 5 DL's tonight, thanks to injuries. That was big in the second half, particularly in the 3rd, when they couldn't get off the field for all that GB running.

2) Belichick had no scouting data on Flynn, and the Pats were practicing expecting Rogers to play, which meant they were rehearsing (and they ran) a number of plays that called for LB spies to hang out at the LOS waiting for the QB to be flushed and take off.

3) GB was embarrassed, angry, and humiliated after losing to the Lions, and the press on this game was even more infuriating, so they were playing (I believe) over their heads a bit tonight on both sides of the ball.

- Congrats, BTW, go to Brady, who broke Kosar's record for consecutive passes thrown without an INT (despite a couple near misses)....

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Archived