Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2010-2011 Thread

Geoff Grace

And see, I thought Scott was making a joke about the Jets being an NCAA calibre team under Mangini.

Best,

Geoff

I kinda was, but I was also indicating that I remembered Weiss but forgot Mangina.

Maybe you were also overlooking Young Eric because, while is of the BB tree, he was not andendorsed or approved BB product when he left for the hated Jets. Charlie, Romeo and Josh have all enjoyed his blessings when they left.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another guy who went to Oakland to die, and might just be getting a second life on a new team.

I find it hilarious that the analyst says "if they're counting on anything from him, they may be in more trouble than previously thought"

Hello? He spent 3 years with JaMarcus Russell as his QB. Yet somehow it's his fault he didn't produce? :freak:

The origin of the whole Walker/BF feud is so ironic now..

Seems like Walker lost a lot of money by returning to the Packers camp in the middle of a contract dispute per BF's request, then got hurt, then traded. And hasn't been the same since. In retrospect, BF probably hasn't been to a full NFL camp in like 4 or 5 years! Could be Brett is pulling strings to help the team, and clear his conscious.

TROLL . . . ish.

The origin of the whole Walker/BF feud is so ironic now..

Seems like Walker lost a lot of money by returning to the Packers camp in the middle of a contract dispute per BF's request, then got hurt, then traded. And hasn't been the same since. In retrospect, BF probably hasn't been to a full NFL camp in like 4 or 5 years! Could be Brett is pulling strings to help the team, and clear his conscious.

After having been at odds with Packers management himself, Brett may have a little more empathy now for Javon's frustration with them then. I don't think Brett has been the same ever since they told him they'd moved on.

Another guy who went to Oakland to die, and might just be getting a second life on a new team.

I find it hilarious that the analyst says "if they're counting on anything from him, they may be in more trouble than previously thought"

Hello? He spent 3 years with JaMarcus Russell as his QB. Yet somehow it's his fault he didn't produce? :freak:

Javon's lone Pro Bowl season came from fielding Brett Favre passes, but he still managed a 1,000+ yard season his first year with the Broncos. He's been through a lot both emotionally and physically, missing a good chunk of two seasons due to injury and unproductive in Denver the season after teammate Darrent Williams was shot and killed next to him in a car.

Then, before his first season with the Raiders, Javon was assaulted, robbed, and found unconscious in Las Vegas after leaving a nightclub there. Add JaMarcus Russell to the mix and I can see why Javon didn't produce in Oakland. That said, he's got more to overcome than just a bad quarterback. If he's got anything left, we've got a good chance of seeing it now that he's reconnecting with Brett. I wish him the best.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Charlie, Romeo and Josh have all enjoyed his blessings when they left.

So far, none of them has been successful since they left. Along with Mangini, they're all in the same boat. :laugh:

I understand the rationale for plucking a HC from a SB winning team. Unfortunately, that doesn't insure everything comes with the package. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Charlie, Romeo and Josh have all enjoyed his blessings when they left.

So far, none of them has been successful since they left. Along with Mangini, they're all in the same boat. :laugh:

I understand the rationale for plucking a HC from a SB winning team. Unfortunately, that doesn't insure everything comes with the package. :cool:

That was how the discussion got started - I mentioned that McDaniels was looking like the next failure coming out of the BB coaching tree.

Is it masterful or lucky the timing of Brad Childress? I'm wondering if B.F. would have agreed to getting on the plane back to Minny if that offer had transpired a week later. Hmmm.

Suddenly having 2 out of his top 3 offensive weapons unavailable and under long term doctors care surely must have Brett grimacing and mumbling under his breath. I wonder if the Vikings have in 1 week gone from a division winner/SB contender to no better than a 10-6 team?

TROLL . . . ish.

by meccajay:

I wonder if the Vikings have in 1 week gone from a division winner/SB contender to no better than a 10-6 team?

It doesn't take very much for a playoff team that played in the conference championship to being out of the playoffs the following season. Look at how many SB teams that LOST and missed the playoffs the following season. Occasionally, it happens to the team that won the SB too.

Because of the salary cap, the talent in the NFL is so spread out among the teams. There will always be teams like the RAMS that can't win for losing. Usually it comes down to several factors; poor front office, draft picks that were over paid and did not produce, injuries, or suspensions to key players like Roethlisburger, to name a few.

The Vikings face an uphill climb, and so do the Steelers.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

on Thursday night, Kevin's favorite two teams meet at Lambeau Field -- again, on ESPN.

Well, it may only be preseason; but I sure did enjoy that first half with both teams' starters in.

And so did the fans at Lambeau Field. ;)

Green Bay 28, Indianapolis 17, halftime.

Since the backups have entered the fray, the score has inflated to 52-24 with just over 6 minutes to go in the game. Preseason or not, that's not bad against the Colts. May the Packers fare so well in the regular season.

Edit: Final score Green Bay 59, Indianapolis 24.

Trivia: this game had the most preseason points the Packers have scored since the 1930s. Also, Aaron Rodgers has yet to be sacked this preseason.

Best,

Geoff

I dunno, Geoff, I'm wondering if the Pack ought to start saving some of that scoring for the regular season. ;)

Besides, the Colts have one of the worst preseason W-L records since the Dungy era began.

I'll try to catch the replay on NFL Network as I'm stuck at work. Matt Flynn sounds like he's having a monster game.

I watched the Colts-Packers game up until halftime. The score Geoff posted adds more validity to my concerns regarding the Colts' backup QBs.

Kanker, I'd like to know how your team is going to fare if Manning gets hurt. Painter is no Picasso. ;)

Meanwhile, Aaron Rogers is working on a new era in GB. Packers fans might not show in Canton when Favre gets his bust and jacket. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

by ProfD:

Kanker, I'd like to know how your team is going to fare if Manning gets hurt. Painter is no Picasso.

I was watching the Colts-Packers game during the 3rd quarter. Manning held the ball too long and got hit from behind as he was just starting to throw. The ball got away from him, the Pack recovered and scored shortly thereafter. Then Manning got hit with an "illegal snap" penalty. He was not a very happy camper when he was having a "discussion" with the ref that called it.

When he came off the field, the look on his face said it all. "Mr. Intensity" was pissed. :taz: The man does not like to lose, period. Even if the Preseason games don't count in the standings, they count as far as Manning is concerned.

However, the cheese heads enjoyed the game. :/

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Most important thing i got from last nights game was the defensive scheme the Packers used. Giving Peyton just 4-5 seconds to try and figure out the coverage/blitz package was masterful.

Not the 1st time I've seen this done, but it sent a message that the Packers do indeed have a plan for the very best teams in the league this year, which is the 1st stop on the road to actually being one of the very best!

TROLL . . . ish.

Aaron Rogers is working on a new era in GB. Packers fans might not show in Canton when Favre gets his bust and jacket. :cool:

The announcers were anointing Aaron as the second coming of Steve Young last night, even comparing their passing and running yard stats to demonstrate that they were the same type of quarterback.

How often does one all-time great quarterback directly succeed another all-time great quarterback? Montana / Young is the only time I can recall that happening, at least until now. It's still a little early to punch Rodgers's Hall of Fame ticket just yet, but he's coming along very nicely.

If Rodgers does deserve to be grouped in that elite class, there are additional interesting parallels to the one the ESPN crew dug up. For instance, in a controversial move, the 49ers traded franchise legend Joe Montana to make room for Steve Young; and of course, the Packers traded franchise legend Brett Favre to make way for Aaron Rodgers. Both Young and Rodgers were already the de facto 1st string quarterbacks at the time of their predecessors' trades. In Young's case, it was because Montana had been injured for the better part of two seasons, leaving Young to helm the team; and in Rodgers's case, Favre had announced his retirement and the team had "moved on."

One more link: The man who traded Brett Favre? Former 49ers offensive coordinator, Packers head coach Mike McCarthy.

Best,

Geoff

Most important thing i got from last nights game was the defensive scheme the Packers used. Giving Peyton just 4-5 seconds to try and figure out the coverage/blitz package was masterful.

Not the 1st time I've seen this done, but it sent a message that the Packers do indeed have a plan for the very best teams in the league this year, which is the 1st stop on the road to actually being one of the very best!

Well put, meccajay. :thu:

Best,

Geoff

I don't blame fantasy football fans drafting Aaron Rodgers this year. :)

The Charger defense so far has been impressive vs. the Bears and Cowboys. The Saints will present the sternest test yet tonight. We'll see if the communication in the secondary really is as improved as they claim. The Saints' routinely overlooked running game will also been a good test. When Brees was a Charger, there were certain blitz packages that bothered him more than others. Denver used to blitz him a certain way every time, until they abandoned those schemes because Rivers was so adept at burning them.

No doubt the Chargers will also lean on their much improved running game to help keep Brees off the field.

Now that's gotta hurt:

Cards bench Leinart; Anderson gets start

I'm not surprised nor would I be if Anderson is named the regular season starter.

Since he was drafted, I never got the impression Leinart had the skills and attitude to lead a team. Not even sure he is a solid backup QB at this point. :cool:

PD

If he doesnt win the starter's job, the Cards will surely cut Leinart..too expensive to have as a back-up - if he even has the skill set for that....

NORD STAGE 2, IPAD 2 with lots of soft syths

Roland td9 expanded

Guitars, basses, Pod Xtl, GT-10b

Garritan, Reason, Symphonic Choirs , Cubase, Sibelius

Three shelter cats

Now that's gotta hurt:

Cards bench Leinart; Anderson gets start

Best,

Geoff

Well, the only real problem here..

Is that Derek Anderson sucks!! :freak:

I know this isn't permanent yet, but judging by how important the 3rd pre-season game is, then it might as well be...

*Goes into SNL skit*

Really, you're really placing Derek Anderson as the leader of your team? Really?

You're really making Derek Anderson the face of your franchise? Really?

Really? You never saw Derek play in Cleveland, and be great for 2 or 3 games, then awful in the next 10? Really? :facepalm:

TROLL . . . ish.

I know this isn't permanent yet, but judging by how important the 3rd pre-season game is, then it might as well be...

*Goes into SNL skit*

Really, you're really placing Derek Anderson as the leader of your team? Really?

Really? You never saw Derek play in Cleveland, and be great for 2 or 3 games, then awful in the next 10? Really? :facepalm:

Yet, Leinart was unable to beat him out for the starting job. That says a lot about Leinart.

*Goes into SNL skit*

Yet, Leinart was unable to beat him out for the starting job. That says a lot about Leinart.

Well it says Leinhart needs a second chance. This is Anderson's second(or third?) chance.

Look, they pulled Leinart after 3 series last week. Both he and Vince Young were 3 & out for 3 straight series. Titans stuck with Vince, and he came through later. Is it possible Leinhart could have too?

TROLL . . . ish.

Archived