Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2010-2011 Thread

Geoff Grace

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Think the Jets missed Revis with Cruz putting a three spot on them?

That's what I was thinking too.

I saw the other starting CB, Cromartie, do yet another trademark "Cro" move - run towards the Giants RB, and pull up his hands and the rest of his body to avoid contact.

Revis probably would have been out the game before Cruz scored the last (2) TDs. The kid definitely deserves a spot on the team.

Eli will be fine with 12 measly stitches. The main thing is to get big Brandon Jacobs running between the tackles instead of into his own QB.

D*mn, I just read the Titans cut Stafon Johnson. What an unlucky break in every sense of the word for that kid especially after his ordeal at USC. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Revis probably would have been out the game before Cruz scored the last (2) TDs.

From what I understand, Revis is a contract holdout, so he didn't see the field at all.

He has the same agency as Vincent Jackson, who is also holding out. Coincidence?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=nfp-20100817_inside_the_revis_talks

Revis probably would have been out the game before Cruz scored the last (2) TDs.

From what I understand, Revis is a contract holdout, so he didn't see the field at all.

He has the same agency as Vincent Jackson, who is also holding out. Coincidence?

Correct. Revis is a contract holdout. I was saying that if he were playing in that game, he probably would have been out of it at that point.

Having the same agent is probably a coincidence. Holding out because Asomugha makes a lot more dough is not. ;):cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Revis probably would have been out the game before Cruz scored the last (2) TDs. The kid definitely deserves a spot on the team.

don't want to diss Cruz, but reading the sporting news, the Jets cornerbacks (Cromartie and Wilson) actually played well...so Cruz torched the third string corners (Lowry and Coleman)...If Revis had been there, even after he left, Wilson would have played further into the match.

Revis wants to be the best paid corner in the league....

NORD STAGE 2, IPAD 2 with lots of soft syths

Roland td9 expanded

Guitars, basses, Pod Xtl, GT-10b

Garritan, Reason, Symphonic Choirs , Cubase, Sibelius

Three shelter cats

don't want to diss Cruz, but reading the sporting news, the Jets cornerbacks (Cromartie and Wilson) actually played well...so Cruz torched the third string corners (Lowry and Coleman)...If Revis had been there, even after he left, Wilson would have played further into the match.

Revis wants to be the best paid corner in the league....

If you look at the Cruz highlights on the NFL site, you never see #31 (Cro) defending Cruz. Cruz was always running routes to the other side of Cro.

No question, Cruz was not being sorely tested in this game - neither Revis nor Cro were on him.

Revis' agents have a track record of playing hardball (ie. holdout) when they feel their player is worth more than what the team is paying - according to that Yahoo article. That is one thing for sure that is in common between Revis' and VJ's situations. So VJ will similarly miss a lot of time with the Chargers because they want him to be paid like a Pro Bowl WR. OTOH, I understand the Charger management's reluctance to give a new big contract to a guy who has multiple DUIs on his record.

Well, speaking as a Giants fan, yes Revis would have shut him down. But we don't play Revis every week...

Seeing another WR with some bigplayability is always nice. I can't wait to see Ramses Barden make some plays this year too.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Looks like the Vikings charted a plane and had a (3) man contingent beg, er, bring their QB back to town. Rosenfels and Jackson did not make the trip.

After a sleepover, long talk and much deliberation, Favre decided it would be fun to play with them again.

So, Cindefella and Chilly have a press conference scheduled for Wednesday. I presume they will announce he's going to play. :cool:

PD

The Vikings have a more difficult schedule this year, especially early in the season. I'd be surprised if they have as good a record as last season.

It could be that Brett wants to play just to play football, or not. They are going to pay him what, 10 million? I'd be hard pressed to walk away from that even at his ripe old NFL age.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

It could be that Brett wants to play just to play football, or not. They are going to pay him what, 10 million? I'd be hard pressed to walk away from that even at his ripe old NFL age.

He's actually scheduled to make $12M. Plus, they have lined his contract with about $4M worth of incentives.

At this point in his career, I think Favre is taking a page out of Allen Iverson's book regarding practice. :laugh::cool:

PD

In the "You Gotta Be F'ing Kidding Me Department"... Tony Dungy was critical of Jets coach Rex Ryan for his salty language on HBO's "Hard Knocks".

Really? A football coach used the F-word? Well, I'm not sure how many of you played sports at the high school level or beyond, but most of my coaches used language that would peel the paint off a shed, and that's before I was an adult (like NFL players are). Doesn't Dungy have something better to do?

If Tony Dungy thinks that the language is offensive in the NFL, he should spend some time in the military. I heard more creative ways to be vulgar in the military than I ever heard by any of my coaches. Reality check for our "good guy" Tony D. :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Rex Ryan, whom I like, has proved himself to be an absolutely insatiable media slut--really, boundless appetite for attention. He's going to be in for some sniping--in whatever guise and for whatever nominal issue--for that camera-finding habit of his. But the big price is going to be paid if the Jets aren't successful this year. So much self-created hoopla around this team--only the Miami Heat have set themselves up for a bigger failure.
Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Rex definitely enjoys the attention. I do think it is great that he is selling the Jets by any means necessary.

The team has to show and prove in part as a result of the antics of their HC. :cool:

PD

Blout takes another swing at an opponent (well, a teammate) http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Titans-rookie-Blount-punches-teammate-at-practic?urn=nfl-263567

you would think a guy would learn from his mistakes???

NORD STAGE 2, IPAD 2 with lots of soft syths

Roland td9 expanded

Guitars, basses, Pod Xtl, GT-10b

Garritan, Reason, Symphonic Choirs , Cubase, Sibelius

Three shelter cats

Some of the "Experts" are saying the Jets aren't all that good. We'll see. I watched my Steelers play on Saturday night and they aren't all that good either. :(

Mike T.

Rex Ryan, whom I like, has proved himself to be an absolutely insatiable media slut--really, boundless appetite for attention. He's going to be in for some sniping--in whatever guise and for whatever nominal issue--for that camera-finding habit of his. But the big price is going to be paid if the Jets aren't successful this year. So much self-created hoopla around this team--only the Miami Heat have set themselves up for a bigger failure.

I think the Jets will be ok. But based on past experience, I think Cromartie will be a liability for them. They let go of Strickland to make room for Cro. Strickland has reportedly excelled in camp and preseason as the new #1 nickel back. Meanwhile, Cro's problems ran deeper than just an aversion to tackling RBs.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/aug/19/peace-secondary-could-bring-prosperity/

"Its not coincidence there have been three different secondary coaches (not counting their assistants) since 2006. The secondarys meeting room has had more backbiting than a soap opera.

The bad vibe that spilled out from the defensive backs corner of the locker room affected much more than even just the defense. More than a few offensive players talked about the peaceful and productive offseason and how the team didnt have to worry any more about the secondarys drama."

The Jets are in a precarious situation. You know that New York is a tough town. Expectations will be very high this season. Anything short of the Super Bowl will be a disappointment to NY fans.

We all know that in order to get to the Super Bowl AND win it, it takes having a great team, an advantage of playing the tougher teams on a team's schedule at home, no major injuries to key players, the ball has to bounce your way in more than one game, and the ref's can't make bone headed calls that hurt your team during a playoff game. Add the stars being aligned, and you have a shot.

If more than one of the above factors happens against your team, you will most likely be watching the game on TV like the rest of us.

Cheers,

Mike T.

What a bizarre preseason schedule the NFL has created this year! The majority of this week's games are today -- on a Saturday -- and not one of them is going to be televised. Sunday's lone game is Minnesota at San Francisco -- otherwise known as the return of Brett Favre -- on NBC at 8:00 PM ET.

If you get ESPN, you can watch meccajay's favorite team go head to head with Arizona on Monday night; and next on Thursday night, Kevin's favorite two teams meet at Lambeau Field -- again, on ESPN.

Then, CBS and Fox join the fray; and we have one televised game per day on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday; but strangely, there's no Monday Night Football on Week Three of preseason.

Finally, the preseason ends on Week Four with every game played on a Thursday night, and not one of them to be aired on TV!

Huh?

Maybe the powers that be scheduled the games on a Thursday because they wanted the players to have a little extra rest before they start the regular season. Maybe none of them will be aired because they wanted fans to be especially hungry for football when Week One of the regular season begins. I don't know, but I don't recall ever seeing a preseason schedule like this one before. :freak:

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

What a bizarre preseason schedule the NFL has created this year! The majority of this week's games are today -- on a Saturday -- and not one of them is going to be televised.

Locally, I have the Skins-Ravens game at 7 pm.

Also, the NFL Network will be running the Saturday games starting at 4 PM EST. They replay preseason games that have already aired.

I'm not sure of why the NFL and/or network TV didn't agree to air more preseason games.

Maybe it is an effort to get more football hungry fans without cable TV to hit a local sports bar. :cool:

PD

What a bizarre preseason schedule the NFL has created this year! The majority of this week's games are today -- on a Saturday -- and not one of them is going to be televised.

Locally, I have the Skins-Ravens game at 7 pm.

Also, the NFL Network will be running the Saturday games starting at 4 PM EST. They replay preseason games that have already aired.

Ah, that makes more sense.

I wonder why ESPN didn't display NFL Network and local listings on their NFL 2010 Preseason web page.

I also wonder when my cable company will start carrying the NFL Network:

Seven years in, NFL Network still battling cable companies :mad:

I'm not sure of why the NFL and/or network TV didn't agree to air more preseason games.

Maybe it is an effort to get more football hungry fans without cable TV to hit a local sports bar. :cool:

:D

Yeah, maybe I'll do that as well again this season.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

The Giants/Steelers contest was an interesting game. I can't take too much out of it though, Eli Manning didn't play. The Steelers were moving the Giants with their Offensive line, which is surprising. That is the Steelers nemesis. As usual, Ben threw a pick, the Steelers had to settle for a FG inside the redzone the first time they got there, and although they were running out of time the second time around, they failed to score. :bor::cry::(

Leftwich threw a strike to Wallace for a 68 yard TD which was pretty impressive. And with Randle EL back from the Skins after four years of collecting the $money$, he did make a contribution tonight. The Steelers aren't short of receivers, so its a little easier to understand why they let Holmes go to the Jets. Maybe Santonio will feel more at home in NYC, rumor has it they have higher grades of pot in NYC than what he could find in Pittsburgh. Of course the price is higher in NYC. That's only a rumor of course. :/

I feel a little better about this game than the last one the Steelers played. Yeah, they have won both but the way they looked in the first game was..... :sick:

Things will get rough when the regular season starts without Big Ben. If we go 1-3 or 2-2 in the games without Ben, it will be a SHORT season for the Black and Gold.

Mike T.

The Giants have some great players. Even without Manning, they managed to play a good game. With Bomar throwing some balls too high and not making throws that Eli would normally make, its tough to get a drive going. Bradshaw is a great runner. On his TD carry he out ran the Steelers Defense to the corner of the end zone, and the Steelers Defense could see him get the ball behind the line of scrimmage and tried to get him before he could get to the endzone. He showed great speed and strength. How about Cruz? Big, fast, strong, with great hands. On one play in the second half, he left a Steeler defender face down on the field when he tried to tackle him, and stiff armed another defensive back before he ran out of bounds. Impressive. I'd say its a sure bet he has a job.

The Giants man handled the Jets on Monday, so I'm looking for them to battle Dallas for the Division. I hope they mop up the field of the new Dallas Stadium with them.

I LOVE NFL football! :thu:

Has anybody been to a "Sports Bar" that doesn't have the audio on their numerous TV screens during Football Preseason? I know the game announcers are usually Mr. Obvious in duplicate most of the time, but I like to hear the penalty calls on the field. Last night I went to the largest "Sports Bar" in the area to see the Steelers and the game was on most of the TV sets. I asked the bar tender if they where going to have the audio on and after hesitating, she said YES. It was approaching kickoff and no sound. Just some stupid background music that i couldn't make out. I went over to the manager and asked him about the audio. He didn't have a straight answer for me, so I made an unpleasant face and walked away. I went back over to the bar, stood there and pulled out my wallet to pay for the drink I had sitting on the bar (Diet Pepsi)'cause I was outta there, and then the audio came on. Last week I went to a different "Sports Bar" and they didn't have a game audio on all night. :mad: That's why I went to the larger sports bar last night. Apparently they are not REAL football fans. :cry:

Mike T.

Skins were fugly tonight.

Yeah. The O-line is still porous. The D hasn't completely figured out the 3-4 scheme they are trying to run. But, they still appear to have more discipline on both sides of the ball.

The vanilla play-calling in preseason is a lot more imaginative than everything they tried last year. Young Shanny should do fine as O-coordinator.

McNabb still has the ability to make plays when the fortress is crumbling around him. Still, he's going to need a lot of help from the rookie tackle who I think will be fine in the long run.

If Davis holds on to the ball, McNabb has solid TEs in him and Cooley. One more WR to compliment Moss and the receiving corps should be fine.

Portis' starting job is intact. Not sure which RB will serve as his back-up. Larry Johnson had better show and prove or else.

Playing the Ravens was a good test for the Skins. Especially coming off the Buffalo game last week.

Last night's game was a good warm up for the defenses they will face within the conference. :cool:

PD

I didn't put too much stock in the Skins' showing last week against the Bills, and I don't attach too much significance to this week's poor showing against the Ravens. It is preseason, after all.

Still, I look at the Skins and I see a team that fundamentally has the same problems on offense that it had last year -- aging RBs, one of the worst O-lines in the league, and no big possession receivers to allow Moss to stretch the field. Is D-Mac an improvement over Campbell? Sure. To me, however, this year will really be a test of the theory that coaches and schemes (not personnel) can help drive victories in the NFL. If Shanny Sr. and Jr. to turn this offense into something successful, I'll be pretty darn impressed. At the moment, I'm not optimistic the team will be any better than 8-8.

Noah

Archived