Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Advice on Nord and speakers

Nillerbabs

Accurate flat midrange is key, hence my love for the 3 way ACs. My Nord also had a good tone thru the 2 way JBL PRX speaks, due to the active tuned EQ which keeps things pretty flat.

Truer words have never been said.

Acoustic piano is so hard to get right. If you can find a pair of speakers that make piano sound good - buy 'em.

I'm never giving up my pair of 3-way EAW FR153. Close your eyes and you forget you're listening to a PA speaker. The QSC 1804 allows them to open up and show what they are capable of.

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My QSC K-12 with a mixer is insanely loud with my Electro 3, no more volume needed.
Kurzweil PC3x, Nord Electro 3, Nord C-1, Casio Privia PX-3, Yamaha DX-7, Korg Polysix, Moog Taurus 3, Yamaha Motif XS (rack),Ventilator, QSC K12, K10

Here is a pic of the Rolls MX28 with my JBL's. I mix two (or 3) boards through it adjusting the mix at the keyboards. The FOH signal comes out of the JBL's (simple XLR hook up for R & L signal). I don't hear any excessive 'noise' when using the Rolls (and have had no complaints from the sound enginers at the various music venues I have played at). I'm sure more expensive mixers will have a lower noise floor but this is being used in a live environment, not studio. I also wanted ease of use and portabililty.

Anyway, just some options for ya.

http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx135/keyoctave/JBL510.jpg

Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK-1 + Ventilator, Korg Triton. 2 JBL Eon 510's.

I use something similar to keyoctave - Tapco small mixer into a pair or quad of the earlier G2 JBL EONs. Works great for live - another advantage - I sometimes provide both my monitors and FOH PA - the FOH powered speakers are too far for me to easily make any needed during the gig adjustments easily, but the mixer is right next to me, I can use the pan pots to change the balance if needed.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Keyoctave: I'm relieved to hear the Rolls isn't as bad as Moe pointed out. I do realize this is a matter of temperement, but I'm a player, not an audiophile, and like you, I need a mixer strictly for live use.

I have my mind pretty much set on the Rolls, but as I mentioned before it may be a matter of temperement - you might be more tolerant than me regarding noise. I know this is some request, but would it be possible for you maybe to make a recording of something through the Rolls? Thing is, I have a 8 hour drive to the nearest retailer that carries those things.

When in doubt, superimpose pentatonics.

Keyoctave: I'm relieved to hear the Rolls isn't as bad as Moe pointed out. I do realize this is a matter of temperement, but I'm a player, not an audiophile, and like you, I need a mixer strictly for live use.

I have my mind pretty much set on the Rolls, but as I mentioned before it may be a matter of temperement - you might be more tolerant than me regarding noise. I know this is some request, but would it be possible for you maybe to make a recording of something through the Rolls? Thing is, I have a 8 hour drive to the nearest retailer that carries those things.

I used a Rolls line mixer (Still have it) but occasionally..it would cut out.....

I switched to a pro-grade Ashly and the difference IMO is night and day....

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

PM sent

Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK-1 + Ventilator, Korg Triton. 2 JBL Eon 510's.

For whatever it may be worth, I went to play with my current band at an open jam last night. Because this was all done quickly I just took my Electro2 and one of our Mackie SRM 350 powered speakers as an amp. I got compliments on the keyboard sounds all night. The other keyboardist who was there was running a Korg Triton and even he liked the piano sound I was getting to say nothing of the B3 and Clav. I agree if you need a mixer get a quiet one. Also, just for fun try running the headphone jack as you output on the Electro. Seems to have a bit more oomph.

Archived