Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Evolution of the Music Business

Zydecat

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Folks have been proclaiming the death of the music industry for about two (2) decades now.

Sales being down is a matter of perspective. Overall, industry experts claim the business is doing fine.

It is true that some companies have to do a better job of finding talent and/or coming up with a better business model for taking advantage of technology i.e. digital distribution.

Otherwise, the music industry is being sustained by a handful of artists selling a lot of records, downloads, ringtones, etc.

I'll believe the music is dead or dying when the Grammys and other awards shows are cancelled. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

The battle for paying digital customers may have been lost before it had truly begun. In 1999, Napster, a free online file-sharing service, made its debut. Not only did Napster help change the way most people got music, it also lowered the price point from $14 for a CD to free.

WOW. Talk about irresponsible reporting. Napster didn't lower the price. They had no authority to lower they price. Napster was a bunch of f%$^ing thieves stealing.

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

This was the most interesting part of the article IMO:

Now just 44% of U.S. Internet users and 64% of Americans who buy digital music think that that music is worth paying for, according to Forrester.

Napster was a bunch of f%$^ing thieves stealing.

Stealing?

Did they put the man hours into ripping CDs?

Did they buy the alleged media and put them into the online jukebox?

I presume you have possession of labor tallies and receipts for purchased media to support the allegation of stealing...?

No?

If they didn't steal, then why were they sued?

Oh right - it was infringement!

Napster even tried to make peace by offering a purchase channel for the major labels, but they wanted no part of the new distribution and used the court system to kill it.

The labels won that battle but they lost the war.

Thanks to the "streisand effect", more consumers became aware of the abuses of the major labels and they refuse to patronize the system.

WOW. Talk about irresponsible reporting.

Yeah, funny you could say that...

While I understand and appreciate the mass transition to online independent distribution, part of me wants "the industry" to survive. I like having the cover art, the liner notes, the real CD to spin. Too young for vinyls, but this is close enough. :laugh:

Oh right - it was infringement!

Napster even tried to make peace by offering a purchase channel for the major labels, but they wanted no part of the new distribution and used the court system to kill it.

The labels won that battle but they lost the war.

Thanks to the "streisand effect", more consumers became aware of the abuses of the major labels and they refuse to patronize the system.

Somebody takes a vehicle and gives free rides in it. Then, caught red-handed, they offer rides to the original owner for a small fee. :confused:

Labels should have seen digital distribution from several miles away. But, major labels are notoriously slow when it comes to change. Especially when their business model worked for decades.

In the meantime, Apple comes along in the right way offering a one stop shop to the entire recording industry. iTunes has been a success.

Litigation has not turned consumers against the recording industry. It is the quality of the product(s). :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Archived