Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Zendrive - Lovin' It !

Tone Taster

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Smoove 'n' spongy! :D:cool:

Nice tone, very nice playing.

lightbulb.gif Just needs an "IC" Big Muff, an Octron, a ring-modulator, a Maestro Fuzz-Tone, a Boss Harmonist, and an ADA Flanger onnnit- well, and maybe an envelope-filter, too.

:D (You KNOW I'm jus' kiddin'!) :thu:

Seriously, nice smooth overdrive tone without being compressed to death or sounding like it's coming out of a radio. I've come to better appreciate and understand the type of tone you're going for, and, yeah, my Plexitube pedal is a hard way to get there! :D Nearly, but not quite completely, impossible. I get a lot closer, much more easily, with combinations of digital-models of pedals and amps on my GNX4, than with the Plexitube. That's not to say nailing it, just getting in the neighborhood.

The combination of the Hermida Zendrive and the Tech-21 California Blonde (and the Clinch FX EP Pre) is proving to be a real winner! Makes me interested in both pedals.

How big a tonal difference does that EP Pre make here? Any reason you couldn't get very similar tones from pairing the Zendrive and the Blonde without it?

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Very nicely done! :thu: Now how about giving the whole signal chain, from axe to amp? :poke::rawk:

Some of the low notes have almost that trombone-like brassiness to them - really sounds great! :cool:

Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Very nicely done! :thu: Now how about giving the whole signal chain, from axe to amp? :poke::rawk:

Iddunno, Reif, there's a piece of rosewood involved... ;):thu:

One take - no punch ins ! Got Lucky this time - ha ha

About the song

RECORDED DIRECT (no amp/speaker/or mic) :

STRAT (Project axe: All Korina Strat/Brazilian Rosewood Fretboard) ;

HIGH ORDER PICKUPS (Alnico II 8.8 Bridge PUP) ;

ZENDRIVE (gain just past noon-voice @ 3:00 -tone @ noon) -

CLINCH FX EP-PRE @ 9:00 ;

TECH 21 BLONDE (mid/character/low just past noon-gain just past 9:00-highs @ 11:00) ;

Tascam USB 144 - Garage Band

Some of the low notes have almost that trombone-like brassiness to them - really sounds great! :cool:

RECORDED DIRECT (no amp/speaker/or mic) : STRAT (Project axe: All Korina Strat/Brazilian Rosewood Fretboard) ; HIGH ORDER PICKUPS (Alnico II 8.8 Bridge PUP) ; ZENDRIVE (gain just past noon-voice @ 3:00 -tone @ noon) - CLINCH FX EP-PRE @ 9:00 ; TECH 21 BLONDE (mid/character/low just past noon-gain just past 9:00-highs @ 11:00) ; Tascam USB 144 - Garage Band

It was at the bottom of the page, 'Ape.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

LOL, hey, them's there some words at the bottom.. LOL One Day I'll remember to scroll down and read more. Good find picker =)

For once, I'm not beaten to the post, and I still get no respect... ;)

All, thanks MUCH for droppin' an ear. For my "commercial whore" gigs, this rig has got me seriously considering using it on every one of those kinda gigs. Just been using it w/a duo act to test the waters. I'll be draggin my real amps to my artistically satisfying productions.

Caevan , excellent question :

How big a tonal difference does that EP Pre make here? Any reason you couldn't get very similar tones from pairing the Zendrive and the Blonde without it?

It's HUGE enough for me to miss it when it is off. I am in serious shed mode for this Brecker Tribute coming up - tryin' to go off book on 9 tunes - plus improv, etc . . . ; but I will make it a point to record 1 clip w/ and another w/o - while trying to match unity volume, etc . . .

Very cool stuff. Great tone too. You'd never know it was done direct. Digital modeling is catching up to tubes...

While that was recorded direct, there was no digital-modeling involved; in particular, the Hermida 'Zendrive' and Tech-21 'California Blonde' pedals are both solid-state, but all analog, not digital.

Sounds really nice. Nice playing, you too Bill with your OCD.

I love my Zendrive and my Mosferatu. I find the Zen and Mosferatu pedals really favor humbuckers. I also love my OCD. Yes it is very open sounding and works great when you roll off the volume...really cleans up. It is way less middy than my TS but I will never be without that pedal. Tube Screamers do that one thing really well. They are all very different pedals.

A few months ago Alf sent me his new Hermida Reverb pedal...that is a very cool pedal especially if you do not have 'verb on the amp. It was one of the prototypes.

Yze, what pedal board do you have?

hey FF,

My pedal board is a pedal train

What's on my pedal train MOST of the time - a sonic research turbo tuner (KILLIN !) , a Barber Launch Pad, clinch FX EP PRE, MXR EVH Phaser, DOD FX65 chorus, Line 6 echo park (i know I can do better - lookin at the tech 21 w/tap) Zendrive , & NOW - a Menatone Wreck't for my high gain stuff - this is the MOST amplike pedal i've tried yet w/killer roll off !

sometimes I have the verbzilla when I use other amps

My direct rig has an A/B pedal to a Tech 21 Blonde & British now

Other pedals on standby which i don't want to get rid of:

Bk Butler 901 (Real Tube), Electro Harmonix micro pog, TC Electronics chorus/flange, vox v-847 (modded to '68 specs)

For high gain rhythms, the menatone has kicked the following pedals off the board:

Barber Direct Drive & Son Of Hyde

The following pedals, I owned and tried extensively through both various Fender & Marshall circuits and they do not even come close to the amplike & defined tight low end crunch of the Wreck't:

OCD

Blackstone

Pinnacle 2

H&K Tube Factor

Mesa Boogie V-Twin

Butler Tube Driver

Nady TD-1

Sans Amp GT-2

The H&K was the closest - but really a big hassle footprint wise & power wise (not 9V)

I need to get the pedal train pro and some serious buffers so I can add more pedals !

Hey, yZe, what are you powering your pedals with?

And...

I need to get the pedal train pro and some serious buffers so I can add more pedals !

...so far, of the chorus pedals I've tried, the T.C. is the ONLY one that I can stand, and the only one I've ever owned.

It also makes a GREAT transparent, natural and smooth clean-boost (up to 15db; great for goosing ovedrive/distortion/fuzz pedals, excellent for overdriving a tube amp!) and buffer with or without the chorus/flange/pitch-modulator engaged, as well. Better, much better, than most so-called clean-boost/buffer pedals at not being tinny, glassy, or breathing! Add to that the Y-splitting that doesn't suck tone...

You might do well to try yours as a buffer/line-driver, first or early in your signal-chain...

Hey, yZe, what are you powering your pedals with?

You might do well to try yours as a buffer/line-driver, first or early in your signal-chain...

I use the 1 spot, but own a Voodoo Lab PP2 (too clunky - need Real Estate on that pedal board)

Will mos def us the TC for that - I forgot how much that sucker boosted the signal

I haven't forgotten about doing the NON EP-PRE clips yet, either.

Most likely 2 weeks out on that

(Wait till you hear this other goody OD pedal I recently acquired)

Nice playing, nice tone. I like my tube distortion stomps better but nice none the less.

Cool, thanks for listening. THing is, is that I like a cranked vintage plexi for Power Tube overdrive over pre-amp tube overdrive from the past & present tube overdrive pedals I currently own.

The reason i can't crank a Plexi on 10 for overdrive is obvious :)

THe reason I am not using Tube overdrive pedals is due mostly for convenience from a live performance perspective

The problem w/Tube OD pedals in live situations:

1.Require a separate power supplyw/voltages higher than the standard 9V.

2.Bigger than average footprint

I like the convenience of small footprints & everything bein barrel style 9V for quick hookup

THE OTHER POINT:

Demonstrating that there is good tone to be had going tubeless !!

I like recording this way as kind of a test run as to whether or not to use it live

That is some fine playing, and yup I can hear the difference. More sparkle with the pre.

Out of curiosity, what was your impression of the Blackstone pedal?

Cool thanks for checkin' it, skip. i sent you a private message regarding the Blackstone - it really is a good pedal for certain things

May I suggest/request that you guys either start another whole thread on the Blackstone pedal, or bump-up another older one with new replies on it, so that the rest of us can read your observations on it? That'd be cool...

Alright Cavean - I had some spare time to record some quick clips w/ & w/o the EP PRE. All details are on the pages when you click "FULL". The titles of each are self explanatory :

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=913849

Cool, thanks! Yhup, the Clinch EP Pre makes it smoother yet clearer, brighter without being tinny at all, more lively sounding, and less boxy and two-dimensional. I can see- or rather, hear- why you rely on it quite a bit.

Does it do that with pretty much any other overdrive/distortion pedal you throw it at? How about in front of amps, without OD/DIST pedals?

Does it do that with pretty much any other overdrive/distortion pedal you throw it at? How about in front of amps, without OD/DIST pedals?

In front of OD's it is picky, but also depends on the amp , too

Sometimes, it accentuates ALOT of the low end on my dual showman WHEN I USE OD's , not to the point of muddiness - but almost "too boomy" ??? Depends on the pedal, though. It particularly does this when I play in those convention center gigs .

On lower wattage amps, like the vibroking or super reverb - it's awesome all the time

W/o OD's - it can stay on all the time and is never intrusive

Archived