Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Calling all Win 7 Hotshots......help!

rainbird

My XP machine died today, and my favorite tech has convinced me that I need to take the plunge and go for Windows 7. The silver lining in all of this is that I am taking a careful look at what I really use my computer for. I was embarrassed to realize that all I have done with Cakewalk 7 in years is schlep sysex files between synths and PC. Can anyone recommend a specific sysex-schlepping app which works with 32-bit Win7 and the little Tascam US-122 MKII which I bought to replace my suddenly obsolete Presonus Firebox?

(and if anyone needs a Presonus Firebox, give me a holler. SUCH a deal I have for you...) :)

LS

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MIDI-OX is the first thing I looked at, but from digging around on their website, it sure doesn't appear to be Win7 enabled. (Googling hasn't been as helpful as I had hoped - my search terms could probably use a tuneup. But, generally, Sven, Google *is* my friend. ;) Just not THIS time.

MIDI-OX is the first thing I looked at, but from digging around on their website, it sure doesn't appear to be Win7 enabled. (Googling hasn't been as helpful as I had hoped - my search terms could probably use a tuneup. But, generally, Sven, Google *is* my friend. ;) Just not THIS time.

LOL... well, for what it's worth, I couldn't find anything about MidiOx with Win7 anywhere either, but their stuff seems to be Vista-compatible, so it's definitely worth a try. :D

I've been running Windows 7 since late August (pre-released by MS through a dealer program). Almost everything I've thrown at it in software, even some VERY old stuff, has worked with no problems. Hardware wise, stuff may not work during the initial install (I recommend initial install with as little stuff connected as possible - once the install is over, it can go out on the web and search for drivers), but I've even got support for an old HP LJ5M printer that I bought in the late 90's.

Rock solid, this system is dual boot for either 32 bit (default) or 64 bit. The 64 bit won't run any stuff that has 16-bit code in it. This machine is not a DAW, although I do have some audio apps on it and an eMu 1212M.

All current Sonar applications are fully Windows 7 compatible. Like already mentioned, almost everything that runs on Vista seems to run on it. One exception - I use Acronis for system backups on all my dozen or so systems (between home and the shop), and I did need the new 2010 version of Acronis instead of the version 11 that worked with Vista - I'm not sure, might have been a hardware issue.

My existing DAW is an older machine that is beginning to shed clusters on the system drive - I ordered a new HP yesterday through their "refurbished" section of the web site. That's how I got the workstation I'm using now - under $500 for dual core 2.6G Athalon proc, DVD-RW-DL, 500G HD, and 8G of RAM (only one of the listings had 8G of RAM). These machines are less than a month old, factory returns for whatever reason, fixed, warrantied, with OS. It will ship with XP installed and Vista included. I'm going to run it with 64-bit Windows 7. My eMu 1820M will work with it, all the other programs I'm using on the present DAW, and the EWQL Gold Pianos that should arrive today.

I wouldn't load Win 7 on an older machine that doesn't have enough power to handle it, but my experience is that it is the most solid OS that Microsoft has released to present (my firm made the business decision to focus on the PC platform because that is where we can generate revenue, I have no bias against the Mac platform - or Linux - but there is a bountiful supply of potential customers in the Windows space).

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Archived