Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hammond XLK-3 lower manual

The Real MC

I just got one of these from the 'bay. It arrived today, just in time for my birthday.

This thing makes my XK-3 complete, it is awesome having a lower manual to jam around on. Plus it looks so damn cool. If you have an XK-3/3c, you have no idea what you are missing. This is the ultimate "chop" for gigging.

Now all I need is a case so I can gig with it.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Check out the Colorado Case Company. They made a real nice custom soft case for mine.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Congratulations.

If you didn't get the manual with it, one tip is that you can turn velocity sensitivity on by holding the lower manual cancel key down while powering on. This works for controlling other modules and the Extra Voices. It does lower the trigger point when playing the organ though.

I don't like the way the organ looks in the PRO lower manual, how it has those 3 tiers. It throws me off. Then they rip you off even more for the TRADITIONAL lower manual. I like the idea of being able to choose between both styles and also being able to choose in general whether you want a lower manual or not. But I kinda wish they just had a standard two manual version of the organ, like the BX3. I think that the BX3 just looks so much nicer than the XK3c all frankensteined together.
1974 Rhodes, CP70B, Polivoks, Dominion 1, Behringer D, Mother 32, DFAM, MS20 Mini, Folktek Mescaline, Nord Lead 2x, KArp Odyssey, Jv1080, Digitakt, Hydrasynth,

I don't like the way the organ looks in the PRO lower manual, how it has those 3 tiers. It throws me off. Then they rip you off even more for the TRADITIONAL lower manual.

I don't think anyone who owns the Traditional Lower Manual feels they were ripped off. I know I don't. It is well built and very solid. Considering the build quality and relatively small number sold there just won't be any economies of scale savings in production.

I like the idea of being able to choose between both styles and also being able to choose in general whether you want a lower manual or not. But I kinda wish they just had a standard two manual version of the organ,

They do. It is the New B3MkII:

http://www.hammondorganco.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=63&Itemid=130

like the BX3. I think that the BX3 just looks so much nicer than the XK3c all frankensteined together.

The Traditional System doesn't look patched together and the Pro System certainly looks better than one keyboard stacked on top of another. Compromises sometimes have to be made.

I find that the both the xk pro system and traditional system look just fine.

FYI, the BX3 is 73 lbs and the key b duo is 63 pounds.

I don't know about you, but I'd rather lift the xk3c at 40 lbs and the lower manual at like 20 something.

www.brianho.net

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/brianho

www.youtube.com/brianhojazz

hmm I just looked up the price online and you're right the traditional setup isn't really a rip off. I had a much higher price in my head for some reason. If I had either one in front of me I wouldn't really complain, I just like the all in one look better personally.

Sure I would much rather lift the upper and lower separately, I'm just talking aesthetically.

And I know JMcS the NEW B3 exists as an all in one package but that is FAR too big for 90% of people. I meant it more in a Nord C2 or Korg BX3 all inclusive design

1974 Rhodes, CP70B, Polivoks, Dominion 1, Behringer D, Mother 32, DFAM, MS20 Mini, Folktek Mescaline, Nord Lead 2x, KArp Odyssey, Jv1080, Digitakt, Hydrasynth,

I also think the stepped look of the assembled XK System is not as sweet looking as an integrated side.

I'm using snap on 1 piece sides on my Moegyver organ controller, which will hold the 2 manuals together so you could carry the whole thing at once.

http://www.hotrodmotm.com/images/hammond/moe_organ.jpg

Moe

---

http://www.bgmi.it/gallery/products/m-c3complete.jpg

I think I want to go for the Hamichord. It just looks gorgeous. You can buy it as just a controller or with a sound module installed in it running GCI VB3. The only issue is I have no way of testing it out as it is sold from Italy. But checking out videos of it on Hamichord.com and listening to samples it sounds pretty sweet. I emailed them for prices and theyre definitely competitive:

$ 1180.00 for exp-edition with VB3 HE (new version)

$ 2000.00 M-C3 midi controller

$ 455.00 B3 style Stand

$ 300.00 bench

$ 1350.00 25 notes midi pedalboard

shipping costs (depending on your zip code ) stands from $350 to $400

Does anyone make a case for the lower manual only (pro version)? I see people talking about cases but they don't say if it's for the combined XK upper and lower units or for each piece. Also, how does the XK3c sit in the pro version lower manual - is it bolted in somehow?

The XK-3c sits on top of the Pro System lower manual. IIRC, there are guide pins on the side walls of the lower manual that fit into holes on the bottom of the XK-3c's side walls.

The XK-3c fits inside the Traditional System's lower manual case. It has wood blocks that fit into the area on the XK-3c's sides where they dip down to keep the top surface flush as well as lock the XK-3c in place. There is also a top cover that is held on with thump screws. The top cover includes a removeable music stand.

I have a traditional lower manual. I found "NY Case", a seller on eBay.

http://myworld.ebay.com/nycase/

They make custom cases, a light-weight ATA looking case. You can get them with wheels, which I strongly recommend.

Anyway, if you contact them and give them the dimensions they can make any kind of case you want. They made my case for the trad. lower manual, and one for the XK3. I don't just use one case for both; I thought that was too heavy. They'll make whatever you want, say, for the lower pro-manual. Maybe you'd want a case for the stand, too. I take my chances with the trad-stand.

I had a good experience with NY Cases. They're highly rated on eBay and they treated me right.

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

Archived