Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Scarbee/Alicia Keys Piano Sample for Kontackt

Nicky

Anyone know what ever happened to this? It was announced at Namm 2009 but then nothing. The Scarbee website says to check Aliciakeys.com, but there's nothing on her website about it. With Scarbee involved, I was looking forward to this.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Read on another forum where one of AK's producers says that it will be out in April, will be released by NI (if memory serves), will be in the $100-125 range. Also, apparently it is actually what they used on her new album. From the demos it sounds like it's going to be a very high quality product...not surprising given it's scarbee.

After hearing the demos, I personally don't understand what all the fuss is about. I don't hear anything particularly special about her piano. The only piano samples that will possibly lure me away from Ivory are the new East West pianos. YMMV...

To clarify: I'm not suggesting that there's anything wrong with this product, and I'm sure that Thomas did his usual exemplary job in sampling and programming. I just find the available audio demos unremarkable when compared to the current crop of other piano libraries. It just looks to me to be an opportunity to capitalize on AK's name.

I don't know, but I'm expecting it to be quite different approach than for example Ivory. Sort of sound that has been tweaked with certain mics, preamp, compressor etc, to have a certain sound. Maybe more like vintage than modern sound.

!!! I don't know where I got this impression, maybe it's just my imagination, cause I'd love to have that kind of sound :)

AND I really love how Scarbee EPs play...so expectations here are high aswell.

-Vm

Sorry to burst your bubble Vm, but this piano looks anything but vintage ;)

On a more serious note, isn't the purpose of capturing piano to place the emphasis on the natural sound of the instrument (piano voicing is an art) and let it shine through?

Yes, you're right it doesn't look vintage (kind of turn off, when I saw that pic), but I was referring to the signal path how it was recorded. You know there's tons of ways to record a piano. One way fits to certain kind of music etc...

I agree also about the capturing natural sound (and feeling), but haven't really found digital piano what does that. And to be honest, doesn't really expect it from this instrument either. I sure wish it could be nice on gigs, I haven't really found a dp yet that I feel good with on stage. :(

The reason I'm wishing here, is that I really love Scarbee's Rhodes and Wurly. Sometimes I just use them, even if I have the real things in the same room. They are not as good, but pleasure to play.

-Vm

Sorry to burst your bubble Vm, but this piano looks anything but vintage ;)

On a more serious note, isn't the purpose of capturing piano to place the emphasis on the natural sound of the instrument (piano voicing is an art) and let it shine through?

I too have and love Scarbee's Rhodes and Wurli; it's very convenient to have such a playable instruments with all sonic variations at the click of a mouse ;)

For piano, I started out on Roland's modeled MKS20 DP (a long time ago). For anything mid- to high-range in a live situation (jazz, rock, pop), that module was unbeatable. Of course, you had to steer clear of the low octaves...

After several intermediary years of using sampled pianos (the list is too long, and depre$$ing...), I have recently switched to Pianoteq. I liked v1 better than v2 actually, but v3 kicks serious butt, including their Rhodes and Wurli models (the Wurli is uncannily Supertramp-ish).

I highly recommend you download the 14- (or 30-?) day demo and try it out for yourself; coupled with a great controller, it's a winning combination (albeit one requiring a laptop and audio & MIDI interfaces, so it's not exactly cheap).

Axel

Thanks for the tip Axe L! I'll check it out. Have you tried Ivory, by the way? I'm really interested in Ivory II engine and the Italian Grand, which sounds great on demos. But I've heard some bad word on Ivory's playability and problems with the sound "sitting" in the mix in a live situation.

-Vm

I too have and love Scarbee's Rhodes and Wurli; it's very convenient to have such a playable instruments with all sonic variations at the click of a mouse ;)

For piano, I started out on Roland's modeled MKS20 DP (a long time ago). For anything mid- to high-range in a live situation (jazz, rock, pop), that module was unbeatable. Of course, you had to steer clear of the low octaves...

After several intermediary years of using sampled pianos (the list is too long, and depre$$ing...), I have recently switched to Pianoteq. I liked v1 better than v2 actually, but v3 kicks serious butt, including their Rhodes and Wurli models (the Wurli is uncannily Supertramp-ish).

I highly recommend you download the 14- (or 30-?) day demo and try it out for yourself; coupled with a great controller, it's a winning combination (albeit one requiring a laptop and audio & MIDI interfaces, so it's not exactly cheap).

Axel

Hi Vm,

I remember trying the first gen Ivory several years ago; I can't for the life of me remember why I didn't buy it (price, maybe?), but it was, for that time, excellent, I thought, but not earth shattering either.

With sampled stuff, I find the attack always too harsh, as if the player was an angry McCoy Tyner (hear for yourself at http://www.eastwestsamples.com/details.php?cd_index=1046). Not an issue when masked by a full band, but definitely audible when playing solo, or in a jazz trio situation.

I've bought several sampled pianos over the years; in CD-ROM format at first, for my samplers (Akai, Roland & EMU), and later, in software library format. I lost track of some (packed in boxes still after a move), but I mostly used the E4XT Hollywood Piano library, and Eastwest's Ultimate Pianos CDROM (sampler format), and then NI's Akoustik Piano, Best Service's Steinway Galaxy 5.1 and Eastwest's Bösendorfer 290.

I never was entirely pleased with the quality of any of the above, so I rotate them depending on the need. Often times, I found EMU factory samples sit better in a mix than a library piano, though by itself, the sound is horrendous. Go figure...

Anyways, since we're talking Libraries, other than the Synthogy Ivory collection (though I've not heard their latest engine rev), I highly recommend you check out VSL's Vienna Imperial. A friend bought it for his studio, and I was impressed. If I was ever gonna buy a piano library again, this would be my first choice.

Peace,

Axe

Archived