Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NHL 2009-2010 Thread

Bridog6996

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watching the Bruins game the other day, the announcers mentioned that NBC won't be airing the USA/Canada men's hockey game next week. Granted, it's a preliminary round game, but still...I hope that's not true.

http://www.ctvolympics.ca might be streaming it over interwebz.

Cheers,

Ed

Sweet. I'll have to check that out. It's possible NBC might be planning to air it on one of their affiliate networks, but unfortunately I don't get any of those, since I have the most basic cable that has ever existed. If it's not on the big network, I ain't seeing it, but I didn't think about trying online.

WOW! GO USA!

Miller was unbelievable in goal. I honestly didn't expect USA to be a difference-maker in these games, and that Canada would cruise to a gold medal, but so far, I'm happily wrong on both accounts.

Here's my problem. On paper, we challenge anyone and are almost assured of a medal. But oh right, I forgot. Once our players turn pro, they lose pretty much all passion and fire. They don't want to win. They just don't win enough battles, enough races and therefore, enough games. It's honestly a very weird and frustrating concept. Our junior men and our women are super solid and always go out playing 110%, but our senior men just really don't seem to care enough about what happens.

A perfect example is the empty-net goal. Zach Parise flipped the puck into Canada's zone with Brodeur on the bench. Corey Perry and Ryan Kesler raced for it. Perry was ahead the whole time until Kesler, who wanted the puck more, just jumped in front of him and swatted it into the net, one-handed. Bob McKenzie from TSN said it before the game. Canada's problem is that they're too professional. They don't use the emotion and the home crowd, they just go about their business as usual.

Alexander Ovechkin also touched this indirectly during his post-game interview. He was asked about Malkin and Datsyuk being switched up so that Ovechkin and Malkin were together. He responded that it doesn't matter who you play with, you just go out and play as hard as you can, doing the simple things to win the game. That clearly doesn't seem to get across to the pros over on Team Canada.

WOW! GO USA!

Miller was unbelievable in goal. I honestly didn't expect USA to be a difference-maker in these games, and that Canada would cruise to a gold medal, but so far, I'm happily wrong on both accounts.

I'm happy that I was at the Eric Clapton/Jeff Beck concert, watching Jason Rebello, Chris Stainton and Walt Richman work their magic. :thu:

Ah well, hopefully this will kick our guys in their collective asses and get them to play like they should. Oh, and hopefully this will show Babcock that Brodeur's not the #1 tender, and get Luongo in there.

WOW! GO USA!

Here's my problem. On paper, we challenge anyone and are almost assured of a medal. But oh right, I forgot. Once our players turn pro, they lose pretty much all passion and fire. They don't want to win. They just don't win enough battles, enough races and therefore, enough games. It's honestly a very weird and frustrating concept. Our junior men and our women are super solid and always go out playing 110%, but our senior men just really don't seem to care enough about what happens.

A perfect example is the empty-net goal. Zach Parise flipped the puck into Canada's zone with Brodeur on the bench. Corey Perry and Ryan Kesler raced for it. Perry was ahead the whole time until Kesler, who wanted the puck more, just jumped in front of him and swatted it into the net, one-handed. Bob McKenzie from TSN said it before the game. Canada's problem is that they're too professional. They don't use the emotion and the home crowd, they just go about their business as usual.

Alexander Ovechkin also touched this indirectly during his post-game interview. He was asked about Malkin and Datsyuk being switched up so that Ovechkin and Malkin were together. He responded that it doesn't matter who you play with, you just go out and play as hard as you can, doing the simple things to win the game. That clearly doesn't seem to get across to the pros over on Team Canada.

Face it my "southern" friend (since Windsor is south of Detroit! :laugh:) - Team USA was on FIRE. I didn't see Team Canada slack off at all; in fact I saw a lot of passion and excellent hockey on the ice (with the glaring exception of Marty--Babcock, change your goalies NOW!)

That game was EXCELLENT and could have gone either way.

:thu:

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Now it becomes interesting. Highly anticipated monster finale becomes monster quaterfinal. Russia will be playing either Germany or Canada in quarters. U.S.A will be playing either Swiss or Belarus.

Now goalies are winning or losing and I'm sensing one major upset in playoff round tomorrow.

These are possible quaterfinal matchups

USA vs. SUI/BLR,

SWE vs. SVK/NOR,

RUS vs. CAN/GER,

FIN vs. CZE/LAT

Cheers,

Ed

Just read that Luongo will be replacing Brodeur in the next round. Can't say I'm surprised by that decision, especially since it seems that all of Canada would've put a hit on Babcock if he didn't make the switch.

Go USA!

And a special note to Alex Ovechkin from this Caps fan: Please, please, please don't get hurt in the Olympics!! Those hits against guys like Jagr are fun to watch, but enough already. Gold medal, schmold medal. We need a Cup in DC!!!

- Noah

I think it's funny that Canada/USA hockey game was the most-watched event in the Olympics thus far, and NBC had it hidden away on some affiliate cable station, at least in the US (MSNBC I think it was). Meanwhile, prime-time coverage on the big broadcast network was ice dancing, which I couldn't imagine caring less about. At least figure skating has jumps and whatnot. It's no wonder NBC has already lost millions on its Olympic coverage.

While listening to the Olympic Update on CBC Radio 1 today, the reporter gave us a clip of what his street sounded like last night. He explained that there was a large police patrol, liquor stores had been forced to close early and that he was at the tail end of the party street, on the 16th floor. It sounded epic as hell. We party even when we lose! Imagine if we come back to win!

Well, the Canada/Russia match-up happened earlier on than I expected when the Olympics started. Going in, I thought sure that those teams would take gold and silver. Canada definitely took advantage of Russia's big weakness, which was defense and goaltending. Luongo had a great game too for Canada, preventing it from being a shootout for the Russians.

Team USA might just ride Ryan Miller's coat tails to a medal, which is way more than I expected. If it wasn't for him, I don't think USA would have squeeked past Switzerland. It was basically a 1-0 win (with an empty netter at the end), which is a little surprising for a team that was able to beat Canada. I don't think they'll beat Canada again, if they make it that far. The Canadian team seems to have come alive.

I watched a little bit of it, but frankly didn't really get into it. Something about hockey where no checking is allowed doesn't seem quite as exciting for me. Why do they water down women's sports? Just because they're women doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to play full contact. On the plus side, it allows for more puck movement and play-making, but it loses the intensity.

Anyway, Canada's goalie made some beautiful saves though. Congrats to Team Canada.

Today semis, Slovakia vs. Canada, and US vs. Finland.

Slovakia pulled two upsets so far. They beat Russia in round-robin, and eliminated Sweden in quarters. Is it team of Destiny? Canada is again favorite so as Sweden and Russia.

US goes thru I think, altough here, people give it Finland.

Holy crap. USA 6 - Finland 0 after the first period.

Looks like the Fins decided not to show up today. And, although I'm not watching the game, I read that Kiprusoff (the Finnish goalie) pulled himself after they went down 4-0. That's not quite as bad as the Dutch bobsledder who wouldn't run the race because he was scared to drive his sled down the course, but still....

Noah

Bridog: I agree, checking should be allowed, but I'm scared to see what would happen whenever Canada or the US plays someone else... They should maybe just make an exception and let the US and Canada check. They've definitely got the intensity.

Multiple edits: My running commentary on the game:

Canada-Slovakia just started... I gotta say, though, I freakin' LOVE Duncan Keith.

A few good chances for Canada. Patrick Marleau finally tipped a Shea Weber shot in, although there was a review to check if Marleau's stick was above the crossbar. It wasn't!

2-0! Another point shot, Pronger this time, tipped by Brendan Morrow. Some great playing in the zone, beautiful move and good second effort from Getzlaf to get the puck to Pronger, and then Morrow got a good stick on it while planted in front of the net.

Good first period for Canada. Solid in every way. Still , Slovakia could strike at any time. Their forwards are stacked.

It's funny seeing some of these players again. Hearing names like Jagr, Forsberg, and Palffy brings back some memories. Apparently Jagr might be Edmonton-bound. We had tried to take him back two years ago, but he decided to stay in Europe. Maybe this time we'll get him.

Slovakia really doesn't seem into this game... They're playing completely on their heels.

3-0! Morrow is just a force in front! Halak had no clue where the puck was and gave up a huge rebound that Ryan Getzlaf backhanded home.

Big chance for the Slovaks. Crosby gave up the puck and Palffy came in flying with a good shot. The rebound got got caught in Seabrook's skates and it went of the left post with a little help from Joe Thornton.

3-1. Slovakia's ramped it up a bit. Visnovsky just banked one in off Luongo with a delayed call on Morrow. A bit of a weak goal, I'd say, but the next shift looked good, so I don't think there's a big danger. 7 minutes to go until the Canada-US final is official!

Shea Weber just rammed Micheal Handzus into the net and over Luongo. What a physical presence that man is.

3-2. Zednik confused everyone in the corner and drove to the net. Handzus put the rebound in. Uh-oh. We're in for a finish, folks!

Slovakia is really coming now. Big pressure with 2 and a half to go.

ZOMFG! Pavol Demitra hit the post with about 20 seconds to go!!! Canada holds on! See you sunday, USA!

Watching Canada have its way with Slovokia; 2-0 after 1 period. Looks like a rematch is set for Sunday. Should be a great game.

With 4 Sharks on the CN roster, I would be almost as pleased if CN gets the gold.

"I never knew that music like that was possible." - Mozart ( Amadeus movie)

I missed the USA/Finland game. Man, Team USA has just been one big surprise. Looking like a USA/Canada rematch for gold, which will be awesome. All in all, though, it's great to see USA get a medal at all, whether it's gold or silver.

I'm still surprised Finland didn't request the services of Tuukka Rask for the Olympics.

Dang, Slovakia brought the fire at the end there. I gotta say, when you look at Team Canada's roster, you'd think they would be untouchable, but they've looked quite mortal thus far. Should be a great game for the gold. I'm sure Canada would go nuts if they took gold for both men's and women's hockey. I'll be rooting for the USA though.

Archived