Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - RIP Teddy Pendergrass

Mr. Nightime

(CNN) -- R&B legend Teddy Pendergrass died Wednesday evening, his former publicist said. He was 59.

Pendergrass, known for smash love ballads such as "Turn Off the Lights" and "Love TKO," died after a long illness, according to Lisa Barbaris, who described herself as a close friend and his last publicist.

He died at a hospital in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, where he was born.

His family did not reveal details about his illness, but said it was related to complications from a 1982 car accident, Barbaris said.

"His beloved family surrounded him. The world has lost one of its greatest voices and performers," a statement from Barbaris said.

"His family is devastated. He has three children and, even though it was expected, it still hurts," she said.

The crooner, who many affectionately knew as just "Teddy," started in music with a group called the Cadillacs in the late 1960s and was still with the group when it merged with Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes, according to his official Web site.

He started as a drummer, but soon began to sing lead after the group heard his powerful voice.

In 1972, Pendergrass's baritone could be heard on the classic Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes song "If You Don't Know Me by Now."

The song became a No. 1 hit across the country and led Pendergrass to many other hits and accolades.

After going solo, Pendergrass received several Grammy nominations, Billboard's 1977 Pop Album New Artist Award and an American Music Award for best R&B performer of 1978, Barbaris said.

In 1982, Pendergrass was involved in a car accident that left him paralyzed. But Pendergrass returned to the studio in 1984 in his wheelchair to record an album.

Before his death, Pendergrass was working on a musical documenting his life, called "I Am Who I Am."

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a loss. Teddy was one of the greatest voices in R&B.

I think that two of Teddy's songs (Close the Door and Turn Out The Lights) are the only music that can actually facilitate pregnancy from just dancing with a woman to them. When I think of sexy slow dance music, it's always Teddy there first.

Anyone catch his version of Bread's "Make It With You" on the Rubáiyát Elektra's 40th Anniversary [Disc 2] (1990). Killer!! Never cared for the original, but Teddy brought something special to the song, like he did with so may things.

RIP Teddy.

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

I grew up with his music. His music will always be in my heart. I can remember as a kid when "The Love I Lost" was playing on the radio, and how I used to bob my head to "Close The Door". His name and his voice will live on. RIP

Kronos 88 Platinum, Yamaha YC88, Subsequent 37, Korg CX3, Hydrasynth 49-key, Nord Electro 5D 73, QSC K8.2, Lester K

Me & The Boyz

Chris Beard Band

The passing of Teddy Pendergrass is another fading piece in the fabric of Soul and R&B music.

While Teddy's voice hasn't been the same for nearly 30 years, his music remains as a testament to the power he had back in the 70s. It is amazing the US population didn't explode further as a result of it.

Like Barry White who preceded him in death, those classic Teddy P. songs still bump from the dancefloor to the bedroom. Their sound may never be duplicated but it will live forever in recorded music.

I certainly appreciate that Gamble and Huff worked their magic so that Teddy Pendergrass could shine. Thanks to Teddy P. for being the voice of a love connection soundtrack. RIP Mr. Pendergrass. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

RIP Teddy.

Here's to Heaven's band firing up 'Life Is A Song' & 'Wake Up Everybody'.

**I still say the vamp in 'Turn Off The Lights' is to this day one of the finest pieces of arrangement/orchestration that has ever existed!

TROLL . . . ish.

Sad day for soul music. Must have been complications from his paralyzing accident.

My two favourite Teddy P songs:

[video:youtube]

[video:youtube]

It's a shame the second song is only remembered as a tired disco song because of the "other" version. But the original is where it's at.

RIP Teddy

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

Archived