Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha CP1 first impressions

Dave Bryce

I only have two major problems with the CP1 - the cost and schlep factor. I don't think I'm its target market.

How about if Yamaha came out with a DP that had about 90% of sounds of the CP-1, had the same action, but was half the price and was a bit smaller/lighter. Would that interest you?

Busch.

Indeed. The CP5 is aimed more at a guy like me (poor and schlepping my own gear in my sedan), but $2600 street and 55lbs. before case is still formidable. But now I'm contributing nothing useful to this thread. Never mind.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was impossible to hear, so I can only judge other attributes of the new CP family.

They are huge and bulky -- moreso than they appear to be in the pictures. I found the interface confusing, cumbersome, and possibly buggy (probably just user error though). Certainly not as direct an interface as I would expect from a Digital Piano.

The keybed feel to me was OK but not great. Escapement was far better on Kurzweil's PC3 series and Casio's latest Privia/etc. updates (which are quite remarkable).

It did seem on headphones, that the two main pianos on offer were smoother and less harsh than other models (such as MOTIF or S90). This may have been due to noise cancellation though.

I look forward to trying these in a friendlier environment once they hit the streets, to better evaluate the piano sounds, but the bulk is enough to put me off (vs. other options).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

FWIW, of the few other sounds I was successful in selecting, the Rhodes seemed to have a realistic bite. I couldn't remember whether the non-acoustic piano sounds on this new series were meant to be new sounds or not, so didn't pay as much attention to them as the acoustic piano.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

The stand that the CP1 is on in the above picture with Athan is the new LG800.

Yamaha expects it to be available in May.

Looks different

www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/Documents/Pianos/CP1_Catalog_Y30C.pdf

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

Let me be the first jerk to note the absence of upright sounds (and Honky Tonk and Tack) and Clavinet sounds in the CP1. Not just any old sounds (AWM) but premium modeled sounds.

I think the CP1 is an exiciting approach and a road map but still lacking the obvious flexibility and choice that samples afford at this time.

D-Bon, I use Yamaha piano sounds when the piece calls for it. And in live pop music, as long as it blends with the band, I am perfectly happy with the Yamaha sound. It's just not my first choice for jazz or classical.

Did you find a negative take-away message somewhere in my brief statement? I mostly said that it seemed to sound smoother than pianos in the S90/MOTIF range, but that it was hard to confidently judge the sound due to the extreme white noise levels.

For me, the killer is the bulk (size/weight) and the action not being a significant step above the P-range or S90/MOTIF range. Other vendors have been pressing forward of late, and I had hoped that this series would represent a giant leap forward.

Let me be the first jerk to note the absence of upright sounds (and Honky Tonk and Tack) and Clavinet sounds in the CP1.

I could see an argument for uprights, but I can understand the lack of clavs for two reasons - the weighted keys, and the fact that the CP1 only does pianos.

I may be in the minority, but I kinda like the fact that the CP1 is so specifically targeted as a piano only instrument. As I said earlier, I'm not even sure I'd have included the pitch wheel.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

So one thing I'm not sure of: are these meant to replace or augment the CP33 and CP300?

No problem; I'm just really stressed right now and want to make sure I'm not miscommunicating anything. I don't plan to attend any future NAMM's, but more on that later.

I did buy the YC-5 add-on to Pianoteq and find it very usable as a Yamaha stand-in. And though it's hard to judge the new CP-series right now, the evenness of tone does lead me to believe that, like Pianoteq/YC-5, the CP-1/CP-5 will blend very well on-stage, and that is worth a lot if that's the case.

Looks different

At namm, they had two CP1's back to back on stages. One must have been the LG800 and one was the LG100.

www.brianho.net

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/brianho

www.youtube.com/brianhojazz

Let me be the first jerk to note the absence of upright sounds (and Honky Tonk and Tack) and Clavinet sounds in the CP1.

I could see an argument for uprights, but I can understand the lack of clavs for two reasons - the weighted keys, and the fact that the CP1 only does pianos.

I may be in the minority, but I kinda like the fact that the CP1 is so specifically targeted as a piano only instrument. As I said earlier, I'm not even sure I'd have included the pitch wheel.

dB

I feel the same way, as I do about the V-Piano. I don't mind single purpose tools at a high price as long as they do the job in a manner that justifies the price. I feel the V-Piano does that. I can't wait to try the CP1 to see If I feel the excitement about it. Regardless, I think the price/features are in line.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Looks different

At namm, they had two CP1's back to back on stages. One must have been the LG800 and one was the LG100.

You are correct sir! It is different from the catalog.

(And the LG100 is discontinued as mentioned before).

So one thing I'm not sure of: are these meant to replace or augment the CP33 and CP300?

My understanding from talking to one of the Yamaha guys at the show that I know, the CP-5 replaces the CP300 and CP-50 replaces the CP33.

Jamie

How could the CP5 replace the CP300 when it doesn't have three foot switch pedal inputs nor a clear ability to have soft, sustain and damper pedals to control pianos like the CP300?

Or am I wrong about this? Someone please correct me.

The CP300 and CP33 will stay in the line along with the new CP 1, CP5 and CP50.

The CP300 has speakers and three pedal inputs.

The CP5 has no speakers and two pedal inputs.

Director of Marketing

Pro Audio and Combo Division

Yamaha Corporation of America

You are correct sir! It is different from the catalog.

(And the LG100 is discontinued as mentioned before).

huh?

The LG800 is in the picture with athan, but is different than what the brochure illustrates?

-Greg

How does it Rhodes compare to the "Vintage 74" in the Motif and S series?

Considering my Motif has been reduced primarily to that particular sound, if something comparable or better is in the CP1, I might need Tums. :laugh::cool:

My interest in the CP series is first and foremost the EPs. I am hoping for at least one exceptional Rhodes with other usable ones. An equally strong Wurly would be great as well. I also want strong supporting sounds. My rationale is simple. Previous DPs have had good to very good acoustic pianos but the EPs usually suck and the supporting sounds are GM level. They put 95% of the effort into the acoustic piano sounds. If I felt the CPs were just about the acoustic piano emulations I would have little interest as I have an RD300GX with its highly usable Superior Grand. Even if the CP series acoustic pianos are a notch above, it's not worth it to me for that alone.

I really like what I'm hearing in some of the demos. Rhodes model 75 seems to be the best and is available in all three CPs. The tone is very good and coupled with seamless velocity/tonal changes it just might have it. The Motif Rhodes are cool but suffer from pretty noticeable velocity jumps. I own a Motif-R XS.

Busch.

Apparently my understanding was incorrect, oh well not the first time! :/

Jamie

Previous DPs have had good to very good acoustic pianos but the EPs usually suck and the supporting sounds are GM level. They put 95% of the effort into the acoustic piano sounds.

While acoustic piano is harder to capture, I will NEVER understand how or why DP EPs sound like an afterthought. Especially when a company like Yamaha has decent EP sounds in other KBs.

IMO, a digital piano should have decent APs and EPs at the very minimum. It should also have playable bass and string sounds as these are typically split and/or layered with AP and EP. Otherwise, I can live without a great organ, clav and brass in a weighted KB.

By most accounts here, it seems the new CP series might be a step in the right direction. I look forward to laying hands on it. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

But can the CP5 be played and have external MIDI or USB pedal control? Or can a foot controller be assigned to a third piano pedal function?

One thing that troubles me is that the comparison chart tells me that only the CP1 features speaker sims. The Nords have been a great example for me in how a speaker sim can drastically improve the coolness of the sound. It ought to be in the CP5 aswell...
When in doubt, superimpose pentatonics.

One thing that troubles me is that the comparison chart tells me that only the CP1 features speaker sims. The Nords have been a great example for me in how a speaker sim can drastically improve the coolness of the sound. It ought to be in the CP5 aswell...

Thats bugging me as well. Thats why I keep whining about the CP1 price

-Greg

Ive never played it. But my guess...

It emulates different vintage speakers I would assume. So I suppose with a combination of amp sim and speaker sim you could get vintage sounding distortion from various popular combo amps from the past.

-Greg

Thats bugging me as well. Thats why I keep whining about the CP1 price

Instead of getting caught up in specs and looking for things these boards don't have, why not wait until you play them to evaluate details such as this? :confused:

I'm not sure any of my keyboards have speaker simulation....

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Instead of getting caught up in specs and looking for things these boards don't have, why not wait until you play them to evaluate details such as this? :confused:

I'm not sure any of my keyboards have speaker simulation....

dB

Right on...when I try gear out, I'm not interested in the specs (and other people's opinions), as much as I am in how the instrument speaks and feels to me.

Snazzy

Semper Gumby: Always flexible \:^)

Archived