Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha CP1 first impressions

Dave Bryce

So, I just spent the last hour and a half playing it.

Yamaha has totally gotten this thing right, in just about every way IMO. The feel of the keybed is gorgeous - smooth and fast, and well suited for both the acoustic and electric pianos. The layout is clean and simple - I had no problem at all moving around on it. The real time control knobs are preprogrammed with exactly the things you'd want to tweak, and things you'd only previously hoped to be able to tweak (think hammer hardness/softness, or position on an old Rhodes tine).

But the sounds....that's where I got lost. I got so lost, that I didn't fall into my usual analysis thing...didn't start picking apart the sound design - I just played...and played. It's just the best when that happens.... :)

There's two grands - A CFIIIS and an S6, very different from each other...and both superb. I preferred the CFIIS - unreal detail, beautiful bass, gorgeous midrange, crystal clear top end with no brittleness at all. Probably the best piano sounds I've ever played in an electronic hardware instrument. There's CP80 programs that simply feel like you're playing a CP80 - there's not other way to describe it...even that bass smack when you really laid in to the thing is there. Killer Rhodes (several different vintages), perfect Wurlies, and actual FM DX sounds (really nice ones, one of which, lightly stacked on top of the CFIIIS was a lot of fun to play).

Excellent effects - all very understated, and tastefully programmed - none of that overwashed so it sounds shiny in the store sort of thing.

...and the logo on the back lights up. :cool:

There's no doubt this thing was built with the most serious players in mind, and a whole lot of love for the instruments it replicates. I can't wait to hear what you guys think of this thing when you get a chance to play it. I'm spectacularly impressed. :thu:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, compared to the V-Piano, it's....?

...much more to my taste. I never managed to get lost in the V-Piano any of the three times I've played one (including the brief experience you and I had with that one at Sweetwater).

What kind of speakers/monitors/ or amp was used?

Pair of Yamaha powered PA speakers. 10" woofer and a horn, I think.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

So, I just spent the last hour and a half playing it.

But the sounds....that's where I got lost. I got so lost, that I didn't fall into my usual analysis thing...didn't start picking apart the sound design - I just played...and played. It's just the best when that happens.... :)

As a Yamaha endorser they asked me to test it a while back and I couldn't agree more with you. You really feel like you're playin a "real" instrument. They got it totally right!

And those Rhodes sounds made me consider selling my beloved suitcase from 71...

Thank you, Dave.

I know the comparison chart but based on other user impressions it seems that in ac piano and feel department there are differences between CP5 and CP1 that the chart doesn't reveal.

What other user impressions?

Wow this is good news for Yamaha digital piano lovers (of which I am one)who are on the move a lot! Did you guys catch the sizes and weights of these babies - a little over 50 pounds for the CP1 and CP5, under 40 pounds for the CP50, and all about 54 inches long?!?

After the debacle of the S90XS I can't believe this is Yamaha! It sounds like they were actually listening to the moans of dismay from us when they released that turkey.

I can't wait to get my hands on the CP5 and CP50 - the CP1 is too specialized for the uses that I have in mind. If anyone there gets a chance to play those, please let us homebound forumites in on what you think! Also the very important point of price is not in the spec sheet - please see if you can find out anything. Thanks -

Thanks for the report db. I had a hunch the new Yamahas were going to be something special based on the information we've been given to date.

Wow this is good news for Yamaha digital piano lovers (of which I am one)who are on the move a lot! Did you guys catch the sizes and weights of these babies - a little over 50 pounds for the CP1 and CP5, under 40 pounds for the CP50, and all about 54 inches long?!?

After the debacle of the S90XS I can't believe this is Yamaha! It sounds like they were actually listening to the moans of dismay from us when they released that turkey.

The CP50 = 46 lbs; CP5 = 55 lbs and CP1 = 60 lbs.

I agree that the CP5 and possibly the CP50 will make more sense for a lot of people rather than the S90/S70 series. Better acoustic pianos and much better EPs with seamless velocity transitions (the EPs on the S90/S70 can be very jumpy). I'm looking forward to finding out exactly which sounds are included on the CP5/CP50 from the Motif XS soundset.

Here's a link to the CP-1 brochure. Hopefully this is readable (it is for me). It's only available from the Japanese site.

CP1 Brochure

Busch.

Has any explanation/justification been offered yet for the single wheel on all these models?

Yes. Someone mentioned that guy who has a job to invent new ways to annoy future customers. I believe the 1 wheel was his idea.

:D

Custom handmade clocks: www.etsy.com/shop/ClockLight

Wow, I'm impressed. Not that it takes much to impress me. Holy c**p it's pricey though. For a hobbyist like me, that's be a once in a lifetime buy, and something I'd have to keep forever.

Plus the Motuif XS ROM ? Plus Master Controller functions ? dang, GASSING hard.....

Thank you, Dave.

I know the comparison chart but based on other user impressions it seems that in ac piano and feel department there are differences between CP5 and CP1 that the chart doesn't reveal.

What other user impressions?

Go on Piano Forums and check the thread "new yamaha stage piano".

Has any explanation/justification been offered yet for the single wheel on all these models?

+1000

If you want more wheels buy a tricycle.

;)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Archived