Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - Mars Attacks, best use of music in a SF movie ever?

mate stubb

It's Sunday, I've been snowed in working from home for the last 4 days, and I'm trying to stay focused.

So Mars Attacks was just on, and it surely has to have some of the best use of music in a SF movie. I hereby nominate it because:

The background music does a great job of invoking the classic SF films of the 50s and 60s with its thereminish vibe.

Not to mention that music plays a prominent part in the plot too.

- Slim Whitman is the savior of mankind.

- Tom Jones fu

- gyrating Martian backup singer fu

- Star Spangled Banner played mariachi style fu

http://www.negativespace.net/wildcat/Mars_Attacks1.jpg

Moe

---

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
fu?

I believe that he's referring to the work of Joe Bob Briggs, a movie reviewer of dubious sanity. JBB specializes in 'B' movies and drive-in specials.

Things that he likes in movies receive the approving approbation 'fu.' Therefore, you can have 'exploding head fu,' large breast fu,' 'buried alive fu' and of course the ever popular 'probed by aliens fu.' As Moe points out, 'Mars Attacks' is positively et up with fu.

This makes it a great movie.

I'm think you're on to something there. Not to mention the fact that that movie had one of the best Jack Nicholson lines ever: "You got two out of three branches of government working, and that ain't bad!"

My favorite line is when Grandma loses it cracking up "They blew up Congress!"

Wishful thinking, I guess :D

Moe

---

A number of years back one of the special fx guys who worked on Mars Attacks was in Nashville for a film event. He was having chest pains and ended up at the hospital where my wife worked. While he was being checked out he mentioned that he had one of the movie prop aliens in his car. It was full-size, standing about 4.5 feet tall. He gave the keys to a nurse who brought the alien into the hospital. They found an empty room and put the alien in the bed. For the rest of the night the nurses played pranks on one another, like "The patient in xxx has been wearing out the call button--go see what he wants." And there was the ak-ak-ak-ak-ak guy propped up in the bed.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

A number of years back one of the special fx guys who worked on Mars Attacks was in Nashville for a film event. He was having chest pains and ended up at the hospital where my wife worked. While he was being checked out he mentioned that he had one of the movie prop aliens in his car. It was full-size, standing about 4.5 feet tall. He gave the keys to a nurse who brought the alien into the hospital. They found an empty room and put the alien in the bed. For the rest of the night the nurses played pranks on one another, like "The patient in xxx has been wearing out the call button--go see what he wants." And there was the ak-ak-ak-ak-ak guy propped up in the bed.

LOL Brilliant! Thanks for sharing that! :D

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

Archived