Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

For Brad Mehldau and/or Jon Brion fans

Dana.

Nobody has made any good jazz since King Bolden.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd guess Dave Douglas, & Zorn, et. al, is exactly the kind of jazz Brion listens to--not all Marsalis/Lincoln Center-approved canonical jazz.

I don't think he listens to any of those people. Check out some of his set lists from Largo and you'll see that he's all about Fats Waller and Duke Ellington.

Yeah, but...Brion is obviously a big Tom Waits admirer, and from there it is one step to John Lurie and from there...

Let's just say I would be very surprised if Brion were not intimately familiar with Downtown NY jazz of that particular stripe. Doesn't mean he apes it. I am sure he knows it.

Incidentally, I know a guy who was produced by Jon Brion. Said his focus is total. Will spend weeks looking for the right tamborine.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Will spend weeks looking for the right tamborine.
Is that a good thing?

;):D

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So now that it's been out a couple weeks, does anyone have any opinions?

I loved about half of it almost immediately...the rest is growing on me.

One thing I noticed is that I think Metheny has had some compositional influence on Mehldau. In particular, I thought the title track sounded like a Metheny composition.

Sam

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

I really like it. It's a lot to absorb. Redman's playing is a highlight throughout, and I like the dry production. I think the first half is stronger than the second; a few of the more straightforward jazz tunes with Ballard on drums aren't as memorable to me as the orchestral ones. "Now You Must Walk Alone" and "Walking The Peak" are fantastic.

Jacob Koller and Makoto Ozone are two great players who should receive more press. Makoto's been around a few years and Jacob is more recent. They are both great live performers.

[video:youtube]

[video:youtube]

• 2 weeks later...

Archived