Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gary Moore

02R96

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I like Gary Moore, both his Thin Lizzy stuff and after. Generally gets a nice fat tone.

You might like this one, too, where he covers a classic Roy Buchanan tune:

__________ [video:youtube]

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

My wife and I sat there and listened to that, and we both agreed that, while there were some great moments, there were also many places where he was playing to hear himself play, with no regard to the continuity of the song.

I didn't have to listen to that particular clip to know that would happen - it happens on every Gary Moore thing I've ever heard. I don't see the appeal of Moore's stuff.

I like the heck out of Gary Moore. Yeah he puts a bunch of his own thing into it, but I like that kind of playing. He is one guy who "got" the 1960's guitar player idea.

It is a personal taste thing. And I like his playing.

Some folks will agree with my opinion, and some will agree with other opinions.

I like the heck out of Gary Moore. Yeah he puts a bunch of his own thing into it, but I like that kind of playing. He is one guy who "got" the 1960's guitar player idea.

It is a personal taste thing. And I like his playing.

Some folks will agree with my opinion, and some will agree with other opinions.

+1 I like chops. I thought Gary sounded fine in both clips. The only chops ridiculousness I hear is stuff like Yngwie or Thrash Metal...where it's a constant barrage of speed from beginning to end. Gary has tons of feel as does Holdsworth when they play fast.

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

I agree Gary does wank a bit, but his wanking is true good feel music. Someone sent me a DVD of his Montreaux performance and it really impressed me. I always liked his tune Still Got the Blues, but once I saw that DVD, I became an admirer.

I liked some of his 80s metal stuff and really like his blues records. It was cool that he wasn't trying to cop SRV and all the Kings (and I love those guys, too).

I knew he was in Thin Lizzy, but haven't heard him from that era...can anyone suggest some good stuff from then to check out?

Guitar Speak Podcast

www.guitarspeakpodcast.libsyn.com

https://www.facebook.com/guitarspeakpodcast

www.itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/guitar-speak-podcast

"Black Rose" is a great studio album that features Gary; he's also on several live albums.

I've enjoyed most of the different phases of Gary's music- Thin Lizzy, jazz fusion with Colosseum II, some of his solo metal music (which occassionally had Phil Lynott appearing), and his blues albums. He pays respect to the blues founders, and adds his own heaviness in a way that works (for me and several others).

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

I think folks like Moore, Vai, Malmsteen, DiMeola, etc. get into habits of thinking of playing music in terms of, say, sentences and paragraphs, whereas most of us think in terms of letters and words. It may be they just have more to say than the average bear, or just that they are in the habit of saying more, even if they don't have much to say, if that makes any sense.

But you do have to give those guys their props, not all of us would like to play that way, but playing that way is an accomplishment. They may be obsessive/compulsive neurotics who practice endlessly because they can't help themselves, or maybe music is their drug and they're addicted to it. whatever the reason, and I'm sure there are many reasons, those guys sure can burn up a fretboard.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

I think folks like Moore, Vai, Malmsteen, DiMeola, etc. get into habits of thinking of playing music in terms of, say, sentences and paragraphs, whereas most of us think in terms of letters and words. It may be they just have more to say than the average bear, or just that they are in the habit of saying more, even if they don't have much to say, if that makes any sense.

I think you have that somewhat inside-out, but not totally backwards.

I would say that some of those guys who go towards the "many notes" side of things are in fact thinking of "words" rather than complete sentences. ***"Look! Here's a lot of words!"***

Now, sometimes a wide vocabulary is essential, other times it can be a distraction from the point of things. I sometimes respond to simple questions with $5 words just for the comic value. :D

But we all know what it sounds like when somebody uses $5 words to describe eating ice cream. :rolleyes: That's basically what I get from someone going into an onslaught of shred while claiming to just be playing the blues.

I'm not a huge fan, but I always liked this song:

[video:youtube]

great song, vocal, guitar and lyrics...but what really got me was the strings & keys for the background...reminds me of my old Juno 60 days...

Take care, Larryz

I followed some of the links, and I have to say that I do not appreciate that 80s stuff very much. Wretched excess, like most everyone else cranked out in those days. But on the Thin Lizzy and bluesy material he released in the 70s, he still makes me smile.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Now, sometimes a wide vocabulary is essential, other times it can be a distraction from the point of things. I sometimes respond to simple questions with $5 words just for the comic value. :D

But we all know what it sounds like when somebody uses $5 words to describe eating ice cream. :rolleyes: That's basically what I get from someone going into an onslaught of shred while claiming to just be playing the blues.

I like that "$5 word" term! I take it that a $5 word is kinda verbose, right?

I'm not keen to open up that weary can of "3 notes vs 1000", but Billster are you saying that if one plays an "onslaught of shred" they can no be "claiming to just play the blues" ?

Guitar Speak Podcast

www.guitarspeakpodcast.libsyn.com

https://www.facebook.com/guitarspeakpodcast

www.itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/guitar-speak-podcast

Personally, I don't have an issue with someone shredding in the middle of a blues jam, I just had an issue with Moore doing it without any context - there were some moments where he just burst into a big flurry of notes that had no connection to what he was playing before, and no connection to what he played after.

To follow the conversation analogy, it came off like Tourette's Syndrome. :D

Personally, I don't have an issue with someone shredding in the middle of a blues jam, I just had an issue with Moore doing it without any context - there were some moments where he just burst into a big flurry of notes that had no connection to what he was playing before, and no connection to what he played after.

+1

...there were some moments where he just burst into a big flurry of notes that had no connection to what he was playing before, and no connection to what he played after.

He could have had a spider suddenly crawling on his private parts and that was what he was feeling at the time. It's very fitting in that case. ;)

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

you are a poet Griff. :D

Archived