Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ultimate Apex Stand =The only stand for 1 keyboard + Laptop?

Entropiastrife

Hey keyboard community. I am going on tour next year and I need a new keyboard stand that can manage my current set up, that is a macbook pro and a midi controller. I am aware i could get a separate laptop stand, but the stages we play are somewhat small (band has 6 members) and s.

So far, the only stand i've seen that can support this is the good old fashioned ultimate apex (ax48) models. The new ones seem to not have enough back support for laptops. Now i'm ok with the apex, but i image with the amount of keyboardists these days switching to a laptop set up, there would be more options

anyone have any suggestions? thanks!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You'll need a table to put the laptop because the arms are spread too wide, i use 3 tiers on mine, top tier a Juno-G, middle tier a triton extreme (with a superclamp so it sticks a little further out) and an alesis Multimix8 on the bottom one and i use a little table so it fits between the arms, Oh you can put a short drink on it too :)

I never trusted those things. I would be scared to put a laptop on them.

Besides, where do you put your pedals?

well i've used it with M3-73 on the top tier and SG-ProX on the middle and no problem, that stand has been the standart of pro musicians who refuse to use an X-type for 20 years, about the pedals, that's true you can't use piano type pedals with an Apex so i use the foot switch type ones i prefer them for playing standing up

It's hard to find this kind of stand, plus you're gonna need to find place to put your sound interface, USB cables etc... I would recommend to ask for a small table to put your laptop on placed next to your key. It's more stable this way. And... BTW... have a hardware synth as a back up...
Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

I have an Ultimate Apex keyboard stand. The thing that it does very well is to hold steady an 88-key keyboard at a high height, which is important if you are tall and play in a standing position. It is rock-steady. I put my hardware synth on the top pair of arms, with a bungee cord to keep it from moving, and that works well. I'm not sure I would want a laptop up there.

The thing against the Ultimate Apex is that it is not pedal-friendly, at least not if you try to think conventionally about where to put the pedal and how you press it. The keyboard is a doubler instrument for me, so this does not bother me, but your mileage may vary.

I've used the music stand attachment on my V-stand to place a laptop there for a recording session but I would be hesitant to place it there in a gigging situation without extra protection - maybe some Velcro arrangement?

However, if you're putting the music stand into the back of the second tier that then becomes quite a height from the ground and I would be extremely antsy about that. I think Quiklok do a stand-alone laptop stand, though? I don't know how much the Roland one pictured above is, but you can get the same effect with a proper black concert music stand, using the "lip" as the back rail.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Archived