Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is it time to quit the band?

frogmonkey

So many drummers, such terrible time

Fixed it for you. :thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could what I call the "burnout factor" be a part of the problem? Everyone seems to get burned out on each other. The drummer that you talk about, did you feel like he was adequate when you (or he) first came on board?

We've had similar situtations with some members of our little troop and have discovered that it may be the same music all the time or the same gigs over and over that makes everyone jumpy!

Yamaha S08, Hammond XK1, 1966 Farfisa Compact(I know its cheesy, but I like it)

Sounds like there is opportunity for a Brian Epstein type of individual, you know, a promoter, in this business.

... and you know, how Brian Epstein handled a similar drummer situation.

Here for the gear.

One thing about the drummer improving: for some reason, my experience has always been that if a drummer isn't cutting the job to start with, trying to turn him on to better playing doesn't really work. It may inspire him for later on, but the other musicians can't wait years for one player's development to catch up.

Still, it's nice to help someone out, and I'd try anyway to make suggestions the few times that happened.

Sometimes the best thing that can happen to a player like that is to get kicked out of the band. Not that it always works, however

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Good drummers, band managers, and unicorns. Mythical beasts in these parts. ;)

Early on, we actually had a manager/booker/promoter. She had no experience, which would have been fine, but she never really got up to speed and she didn't have computer skills. She took only a meager fee, and even lent us money for our first CD. But after a while, it was clear she was doing more harm than good, on the business and booking side of things. Bless her.

Our original drummer wasn't quite up to the task at first. He had chops and solid precision, but he didn't quite have the vocabulary or the dance sensibility (ie lay it down and repeat). We whipped his butt into shape pretty quick, though. He took direction, practiced, and turned into a killer drummer... and he sang the high harmony!

Road Apple, I may be suffering from burnout in general, but this drummer has only been with us since September. I was actually very impressed at first. But as time goes by and he still doesn't have the details down, I am less impressed.

His reluctance to take instruction really comes down to a geeky brand of insecurity. His ego is threatened when we ask him to change something, especially if it's outside his comfort zone.

Sounds like there is opportunity for a Brian Epstein type of individual, you know, a promoter, in this business.

... and you know, how Brian Epstein handled a similar drummer situation.

I thought they canned Pete because girls all went for him. :rimshot:

We play for free. We get paid to set up and tear down.

Change is a necessary part of life. Since it seems he may have developed an attitude since day 1, the only other alternative is to find a new Ringo.

Look what happened to the Fab Four after the change. Was it luck or timing or the change of personnel? Whatever the reason, sometimes it just takes the right combination..

Good luck!

Yamaha S08, Hammond XK1, 1966 Farfisa Compact(I know its cheesy, but I like it)

A little update, for anyone who's curious:

We had a meeting, minus the drummer. We decided that even if we could get the drummer to learn the songs right, we didn't want to work with him in the long run because of his personality and vibe. And since we are just starting a 6-week break from gigs, now is the time to fire him. Done.

The next day, the bass player heard from a drummer acquaintance that he was looking for a band! This drummer didn't know we were looking-- our bassist is kind of at the hub of the scene around here, the talent buyer for the best club in town, and people tend to call him. :) Hopefully he turns out to be our man!

I also set up some auditions with a couple college kids, recommended to me by a friend who teaches drums at the university.

My reservations about the bandleader/singer remain. So does my reluctance to book gigs-- but that's a luxury I just can't afford. We talked a lot about strategy, business, and direction.

The cover band I play in on the side just booked some really nice $ gigs. I'm planning to record a new CD (and demo) with my jazz unit, but I've got an injury which is keeping me from serious piano-playing for a little while longer. (I guess that's another story-- A bruised bone on my right index finger-- It's almost healed).

Thanks again for all the feedback!

The next day, the bass player heard from a drummer acquaintance that he was looking for a band! This drummer didn't know we were looking

Isn't it amazing how things like that work out sometimes?

Glad things are looking better for the band, hope it all works out! :thu:

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Hope it works out for you. You're probably 90% there with some good musicians, music you like and compatible personalities, etc. I think the manager/promoter is the way to go unless someone in the band is passionate about the business end as well. It all boils down to passion either for the music, the scene, the people, the talent or the belief. I don't think you can do all of these.

Good Luck,

Musicale

Great news. If you actually do find a drummer with all the skills you want, who also wants you, in Vermont, it could only mean that my bus load of naked ladies with Guinness on tap is right around the corner. :thu:
--wmp

Great news. If you actually do find a drummer with all the skills you want, who also wants you, in Vermont, it could only mean that my bus load of naked ladies with Guinness on tap is right around the corner. :thu:

LMAO!!

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

Yep, I'm easy! :) That, and I find the idea of finding a skilled latin drummer in Vermont hilarious.
Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

• 1 month later...

The answer the topic question is a resounding "no"!

We just had our first string of gigs with our new drummer, culminating in a hometown gig at the best club around. He's a young guy, 20, and those were his first three paying gigs ever. He worked his ass off and learned a ton of material.

We've been playing catch-up for over a year, just trying to get the music to where it used to be, or even to "acceptably good" levels. Oh man it's so much easier to play now. Our last rehearsal we didn't really have to "fix" anything, so we were able to rehearse a seamless show with tight, turn-on-a-dime segues between songs. Moving forward again!

Every groove was in the right pocket. We could play the latin tunes again. It is exactly the music I want to play, and any amount of work is justified just to make that music. Even if the business isn't running as well as I wish.

And as a bonus, the new guy's fan club showed up- the front of the dance floor was cute, smiling, dancing college girls :) The place was packed, and the dancefloor was freaking out.

:thu:

Best of luck for continued fun and success!

• 1 year later...

Haha! More than a year later, I finally left the band! Wow did my calendar just clear up in a good way. My other 4 bands will be happy to hear the news. :D

Oh man that band was just too much work! It's a shame, because I just put a ton of time and energy into producing the new CD, which is still being mixed. It sounds pretty freaking awesome, too.

I can't even express how excited and free I feel.

The fact that your "bandleader" writes and performs his originals (with the aid of the other band members) may perhaps indicate that this is his primary focus, and that the rest of you are merely window dressing for his "career"; if such is the case, then - in his mind - it's all about him, and he won't tolerate anyone else making any authoritative decisions. If you're content to be a side man with limited exposure performing with less than stellar musicians, then stay with the situation. If you aspire for greater opportunity and a higher quality of musicianship and musical expression, you obviously WON'T find it in your present circumstance. Whether you decide to bravely let the eagle fly free - or humbly and meekly accept the bird in the hand - good luck to you.

• 9 months later...
Reviving this thread only to share something I saw today...

Oh man that's hilarious! I love how all paths pass through "can the drummer play well?" and those that don't end at quit are mostly "give it a month".

Thanks for a good laugh.

:thu:

Haha! More than a year later, I finally left the band! Wow did my calendar just clear up in a good way. My other 4 bands will be happy to hear the news. :D

Oh man that band was just too much work! It's a shame, because I just put a ton of time and energy into producing the new CD, which is still being mixed. It sounds pretty freaking awesome, too.

I can't even express how excited and free I feel.

For me there were two main emotions about joining and then quitting a band:

1) Joining - Oh my God what did I just get myself into?

2) Quitting - Thank God that is over!

SOME of the playing in between is usually pretty good though, but no more bands for me.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

Archived