Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

selling gear on craigslist rant

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Did anyone in the room really think that this was an actual Fender, not a Squier? Raise your hands, please? Oh, you thought that you were going to be able to take advantage of someone? I see......"

Fender has made models in Mexico for years that have (up until recent price increases) sold one for around $400. Finding them online for $200 is not at all uncommon.

" I'd be intrigued if I saw an ad for a Fender Precision Bass for $200. I'd know not to waste my time if the picture clearly shows it's a Squier by Fender."

Did anyone in the room really think that this was an actual Fender, not a Squier? Raise your hands, please? Oh, you thought that you were going to be able to take advantage of someone? I see......

When list members are finding Hammond organs and leslies for $400, and other people are finding '65 Jazz basses at GoodWill, yeah, sometimes a tree IS a tree. When divorcing wives are selling their soon-to-be-ex's mic collection at pennies on the dollar? I guess you would never take advantage of that situation?

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

"The Levenson Cello Duet has no place on Craigslist, and Audiogon (a high end audio forum and selling service) would be a far better place to list it."

Probably. But as I don't want to ship it... it IS 105 pounds.

Bill:

Depending on your local market, you may have no other option but to consider shipping your preamp. As a long time audiophile, I've bought and sold tens of thousands of dollars of gear on Audiogon, because it is "specialized" to the high end audio community. I've also listed my gear concurrently on Craigslist, but have had little success with my high end audio gear (musical equipment was fine).

If you live in NYC, SF, Chicago or some other MAJOR market where there are a fair number of people who would a) know what a Levenson Cello Duet is, and b) be willing to pay what it's worth, then a local sale is more possible.

If you're living in a smaller market, and the nearest high end audio dealer is 300 miles away, then I suspect you're going to have a difficult time brokering a local sale and any price, unless there is some serindipity involved.

Also, like most here believe "a picture is worth a thousand words" and while it doesn't speak to working condition, there is something to be said for actually seeing a photo of what you're reading about.

Lastly, questions (stupid or otherwise) from a potential buyer are just part of the deal. If you don't want to be bothered with these, or shipping or any other part of the sales process, then take your preamp to the nearest high end dealer and offer it for consignment and pay the 30% of the final sale price to them.

YMMV

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

... I guess you would never take advantage of that situation?

Well, such a situation did occur on our craigslist, and I was one of the people who wrote to the poster to suggest that they have the item evaluated before they sold it at such a low price, that it was likely worth a lot more. (It was a vintage Strat, for a few hundred dollars) As it turned out, it was some sort of a hoax, and the OP followed up with a posting of how many people suggested that he check the value verses how many offered to run right over with cash verses how many tried to get it for even less. I don't know why anyone would waste their time on such an endeavor, but there you have it.

craigslist seems to be filled with a lot of weirdos here. In the musician section under community, people spend much of their time trashing local bands, and many of the posters are clubs or promoters trying to get bands to play for free. Some of the open stages post there, and that is one of the cool parts. But it just seems a place for people to anonymously trash the local scene. I mentioned the personally appointed craigslist police who removed my electronics posts because they did not know what they were. Just last light i got an email from a guy telling me that Zildjian cymbals were trash. (sigh...)

You know, when we come here, it is like we know each other. We talk and share and there is generally a sense of community, even when we dissagree. I expected the same thing only better on a local website.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

I think the copy and how you write it makes a difference.

I absolutely agree, and that was a part of my point. When I say something like: "8 space melamine black rack, made by MidAtlantic. Used in my non-smoking studio for 10 years. Normal wear and tear for age, no abuse, no stripped threads in rack rails." I think that the reader can decide if they want to see it or not. An email picture of a black rack won't show much... scratches, dents, whatever just aren't going to show up on such a low res photo. Another example: "Sabine RT 7100 rack tuner. Used less than 5 hours. Taken from the box and put into a rack in my studio and never moved until I moved the gear from the studio to my home. Like new condition." and then I included a link to a review of the tuner and a picture of the tuner at an on-line music store. 5 guys wanted pictures. One guy said, "I'll take it, when can we meet." (shrug.)

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

When list members are finding Hammond organs and leslies for $400, and other people are finding '65 Jazz basses at GoodWill, yeah, sometimes a tree IS a tree. When divorcing wives are selling their soon-to-be-ex's mic collection at pennies on the dollar? I guess you would never take advantage of that situation?

More often than not I see the estate sale selling a T-212 or 'one of spinets with color tabs' for $800. I'm thinking they see an A-100 or other console with Leslie priced 2K or above to determine market value for their boat anchor.

It's like fishing: a couple good nibbles and I continue to fish there.

Today's find: I'd actually look into this if it was local. For some reason i'd like them on my wall:

http://longisland.craigslist.org/msg/1453788549.html

The one that gets me is when you're selling something on CL and you get an email that says "I would like to buy this item". No mention of what the item is. Suppose I had multiple things for sale, how do I know which one? Anyway the email goes on to say "I will send you a check for the price plus additional money for my shipper. When you get the check please wire the difference to my shipper who will pick up the item and deliver it."

Yeah right! And when I've already wired the money to the shipper and the check bounces? Sure that sounds like a plan.

The one that gets me is when you're selling something on CL and you get an email that says "I would like to buy this item". No mention of what the item is. Suppose I had multiple things for sale, how do I know which one? Anyway the email goes on to say "I will send you a check for the price plus additional money for my shipper. When you get the check please wire the difference to my shipper who will pick up the item and deliver it."

Yeah right! And when I've already wired the money to the shipper and the check bounces? Sure that sounds like a plan.

I went through that, too. But the deal goes a little differently than you think.

They send you a check for too much money, by about $2k ("my secretary made a mistake..." ".. you can't call me because I am deaf...") and they ask that you deposit the check, take an extra $100 for your troubles, and wire the difference back to them via Western Union. The 'shipper' never shows, and roughly 28 days later when the check is finally properly processed, it bounces and your bank takes the money out of your account, or comes after you for the difference if you don't have that much in your account.

It was funny... the guy was in one state, the check came in an overnight envelope from another state, drawn on a bank from a third state and they asked me to wire the money to a WU office in a 4th state, and the routing number on the check did not match the geographic location of the bank named on the check.

I alerted the feds, and ran the check though the security division of my local bank. I don't know if they caught them or not, but it would not have been hard to wait for someone to try to pick up the cash at WU.

I suggest that anyone receiving one of these offers to play along, go immediately to your local bank, ask to speak to the security and fraud division, and help them to try to catch these maggots.

Steve Martin

Today's find: I'd actually look into this if it was local. For some reason i'd like them on my wall:

http://longisland.craigslist.org/msg/1453788549.html

Then you would love the sound shell for the Pittsburgh Symphony. It looks like 4 or 5 inch radius organ pipes and stretches the width of the stage forming the upstage wall, and down both sides of the stage to the proscenium.

Steve Martin

I just used CL for the 1st time the other day..guys coming over in a bit to check out the item...If he shows up in a clown car, Im runnin for cover...or letting the dogs out...

Really Ive gotten a few lowballers, but its local, n if I dont sell it (them) then I can call them n sell it cheap...especially if its stuff lying around that Id rather have money for..

[quote=Bill@Welcome Home Studios

I went through that, too. But the deal goes a little differently than you think.

They send you a check for too much money, by about $2k ("my secretary made a mistake..." ".. you can't call me because I am deaf...") and they ask that you deposit the check, take an extra $100 for your troubles, and wire the difference back to them via Western Union. The 'shipper' never shows, and roughly 28 days later when the check is finally properly processed, it bounces and your bank takes the money out of your account, or comes after you for the difference if you don't have that much in your account.

Sadly, I know someone who lost almost all her life savings through one of these scams. She was looking to move down to Arizona from up here and was searching for teaching jobs around Phoenix. She found a CL listing for a teacher, emailed her resume and went through a phone interview. Her contact told her to book a flight down for a face-to-face interview and he will send a check to cover her expenses. The check was a few thousand over the cost of the flight. When she pointed out the mistake, he asked thanked her and asked that she western union the difference. You can guess what happened next.

I think she was out about four or five grand. She was just out of college, so that was all the money she had in the bank.

I'm batting 1000 on Craigslist, but I have Chicago here in my back yard. I recently listed seven pieces, and sold all within three months. I had a statement like, "pictures available upon request" within each listing. Of course, I also included "local pick up/cash only" as well.

I've discovered a lot has to do with the timing of your ad. For example, when I sold my XK-3 I only received one or two responses during the first couple of listings, but when I re-listed it two months later, I received several responses. I did lower the price $100, but I'm not sure if this was the critical factor. You do have to be fairly persistent. I probably could have made more dough if I did the e-bay thing, but after you pay the commission it probably wouldn't have been that much. Plus there's a value associated with avoiding the hassle of shipping things.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I'm batting 1000 on Craigslist, ...Plus there's a value associated with avoiding the hassle of shipping things.

My wife is making a killing dumping odd household items that we don't want to take with us, and she is using the Pennysaver.

My craigslist experience just keeps getting weirder.

I agree about the shipping thing, I was trying to make my selling experience more pleasant and easier, and also not have to deal with shipping. But in the past I've done quite well on ebay, so maybe I'll go back to that outlet if the Pennysaver doesn't work for me.

Steve Martin

Pennysaver is a local paper that is just classified ads, everything from garage sales, to baby sitters, weight benches to motorcycles. You can buy (and sell) just about anything on there, and it's all very local.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Yeah, depends on where you are. Up on Long Island it was the Pennysaver, here in Houston it's the Greensheet, there are probably others.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

My wife is making a killing dumping odd household items that we don't want to take with us, and she is using the Pennysaver.

I wonder if the type of people who buy older household items are the type that would still look in the pennysaver. The pennysaver is great and there's all kinds of stuff in there, I just don't think it's the go to place for younger folks who have worked more with CL. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm interested in the demographic of who's buying your wife's stuff.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I wonder if the type of people who buy older household items are the type that would still look in the pennysaver. The pennysaver is great and there's all kinds of stuff in there, I just don't think it's the go to place for younger folks who have worked more with CL. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm interested in the demographic of who's buying your wife's stuff.

The guy on his way over now to buy my albums originally found us because my wife was selling an old Sunbeam Mixmaster, and he wants to build one for his girlfriend. He is college age.

The customers seem to run the gamut... I just sold some snowboots to a single mom crossing guard; a retired millworker bought some stuff, a visiting nurse has bought a lot of the furniture that we are not taking with us, another gal bought a bunch of the furniture, a young guy took some other stuff... age does not seem to be a factor. Obviously, in November more family-types or locals are buying, but what about in Aug/Sept when the colleges come into session? Bet there is a lot of activity then.

(Oh, and most of our household items are new-ish...we only moved in here three years ago.)

Steve Martin

Archived