Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Privia PX 330 running review as I start out gigging again

AUSSIEKEYS

Back into gigging after a long break so I might give a running review of using a PX 330 live and its pluses and minuses.

This will be a simple review to explain anything that might be of interest to prospective owners.

Bought this a few weeks ago so have only just started playing with it with a few practices and first gig in a few weeks.

Things noticed so far

1.very good build quality on creating a solid plastic body that doesnt flex.

2.Lightweight

3.Playing Feel to me is very comfortable and I wont try to explain that again. as you need to try it yourself.

4.Keys are very predictable and return to original level positions as many manufacturers fail to do...

5.keys sit squarely and evenly,

6.black keys seem correspondingly correct in volume/velocity to white keys.I havent noticed by ear any difference

7.fits into matching casio bag nicely making easy moving.

8.dont like the power pac ...although the changable electrical prongs are a good idea they dont seem as sturdy as the previous px 300 transformer..it works fine but it worries me a little...on the plus it looks like it has a socket to fit a 2 pole cable if the changable end dies...this socket is similar to that in the old privia transformer...so a saving grace

9.the jack plugs do seem weaker as some have mentioned...I am ok about them but am treating them with care...infact the px 300 seemed to be more robust i thought.

10. internal speakers are quite good, or is it that the sounds have improved so much that they make the speakers soung great

11.access to the main sounds are fine similar to my old GEM Prp 7 piano, the extra sounds are difficult to access due to needing to scroll, a 10 digit keypad would have made this more usable as a live keyboard.

just an initial run down...as i start gigging and programming the registration area for song setups i will tell you how usable It is for a controller...it may be that as I start with more band work over solo piano i will find that I may need to use a controller module [ie Akai note splitter] routed back into the casio or say my Alesis quadrasynth S4 module as a controller to split zones.

ironically the internal sounds will pass for many songs but will need some button pushing to access the extra` sounds

time will tell

hoping to keep you posted but I maY NOT BE ABle top help you with individual answers as my priority is to learn 40 to 60 songs in two or 3 weeks.

Quick firsts thoughts.

1) nice board,but many samples are ruined by vibrato and delayed vibrato, I prefer the electric pianos in the PX300 over the new px330

2)cool ethnic instruments (except the vibrato infested ones) same speed vibrato on all this stuff too!

3)nice feature adding additional preset tunings.

4)Preset Rhythm machine fun

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench; a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. ............ There's also a negative side"

great thanks acidolem

good to get peoples opinions of the sounds as I am not good at giving you a good comparison as I usually am happy with what I get....in current boards, I am afraid I am not as fussy even though I have been playing for over 30 years and owned many boards since 1978 i still find I am always generally happy with current sounds...this casio is the same,

Anyway back to what I have found

4th practise last night with it and First bit of damage...

the aforementioned power pac that I was unhappy with has been damaged already..the 2 prongs that go into a power outlet have been damaged, one prong was bent...easily straightened but quite bent.

It was placed in the casio bag in the special compartment area in the bag,this is at the end of the keyboard.Now we carry the keyboard in my girlfriends car to practise purely because my panelvan would leak over the bass players concrete.

The car in question is a toyota echo, small toy car, the keyboard fits across the backseat but only if it is squeezed at an angle slightly elevated too, so the door can close. Obviously the door has closed against the prongs bending one.[this is a guess but cant figure any other reason]

Not good,I was worried about a weak powerpac, anyway what looks like could be done is the prong head could be removed and a simple 2 pole lead placed in the hole where the head slides, for here is a standard looking 2 prong socket.

Referring to my older privia, it had an adaptor called an AD12FL rated at 12v 1500mA which is a robust floor mounted unit with a 2 prong socket , the rating appears the same on the current privias adapter model number AD-A12150W rated at 12v 1.5A so the same rating,

I would prefer to use the AD12FL adaptor as it has proven itself to me at many performances, and replace the AD12FL adapter that came with the px300 with a brand new AD 12 adapter i have in a box rated at 12v 1000mA obviously lower but supposedly the correct one for the PX300. Then I can use on my new privia, and sell the px300 with a brand new and recommended powerpac AD12, but cant find anywhere on the net the correct Milliamp rating for a px 300, all other previous large casios were rated at needing only 1000 mA not the 1500mA of the later powerpacs,

Can anyone enlighten on this

The above are the Aussie powerpacs with appropriate setup for our 240 volt system, the current PX330 uses a changable head so you can use it in any country.

So one of my first worries has been realised, if only they stuck to the AD12FL floor mount there would be no worries, obviously i can convert the current adapter into a floor mount by simply replacing the head with a 2 prong lead,although the plastic body is far lighter than the older floormount body.

The other worry I hope I wont face is the output jacks which i feel are flimsier than the PX300...i am being carefull on the new model where on the older model i didnt even think about it...

This maybe too that someone on this forum expressed their concerns over the flimsiness of them...I may not have worried, but they definately feel a little flimsier...so dont let a sound man or roady get near them just incase...hoping i dont have to report anything further about them.

Piano cuts through good, but like all digital pianos get in a band with a guitarist and you will lose all your mids, this is simply something that goes with playing with guitar, it happens on all my keyboards...

Am I happy with it so far...yes very...the powerpac can be replaced..or improved...shouldn't have to but it has been made a powerpac for all nations to cut down building many versions, great idea for home use as intended, lousy for gigging.

Fortunately it is not part of the keyboard, and powerpacs are expendable after time on the road...carry a spare..

More observations

The sound access [button pushing setup] is so simliar to my old GEM PRP7 digital piano that it is spooky. The layout is very similar in its approach. 8 buttons each accessing a number of version of that type of sound, Modern piano, classic piano, electric piano, vibes/clav,organ, strings/synth pads, bass,giutar, and finally a huge selection called various/GM tones.

Very quick changes possible between the main sounds and setup in easy reach, the last sound chosen remains in memory ready for next push, this means fav sound in each button can be ready to be recalled at the push of a button.

The various / gm tones are rather good but there is a huge amount of them meaning too much scrolling to acces in a hurry..leave your fav horn ready for access.

As a gigging piano this setup is a very easy one to use/navigate,no double button pushing if you have your fav sounds in each category ready to go but using the large supply of various sounds is more difficult as you need to scroll to use the sounds.

What i would have liked to see on this board was two more buttons thus creating a 10 digit pad capable of typing in the desired number for the various tones, this could have also been used for other functions thus getting closer to a controller keyboard,but what we do have is a very easy to navigate piano with some usable sounds at the push of one button if so setup.

Had they incorporated their controller functions from their AZ1 controller [2 zone controller]but making it a 4 zone they could have grabbed a new market of controllers...maybe one day as it is I am very happy with what they have done

I may later add one of my synths on top just to add some zones as the px really can only layer or split a second sound using its setup,thats if this new band deems to need zoning [at the moment they are not so demanding as we are all starting from scratch,

I am finding that the ease of changing the main sounds on here doesnt at this stage necessitate me adding zones as I can quickly jump between piano to organ back to piano and onto strings withjout a glitch better than my PX300 but the 300 was easy to layer or split on the fly.

I have an old and extremely lightweight XP 50 I used to use on top of my Gem PRP7 piano it will serve as a zoner,or i could use my Akai note separator module just to split the internal sounds if the px corresponds in any way to the note splitters program change mapping.Or my Alesis S4 module [adds also the Alesis quadrasynth sounds with a very powerfull controller zoning setup ie 16 channel zones external or internal of the S4] but this is only if the band deems the need for more than individual sounds.

But as a standalone performing keyboard [or recording] it is great but if you need zoning you will need to go to something else unless you are going to add an outboard synth or note separator.

This weekend played a solo gig at an outdoor party [it's summer here in a few weeks]..

Used my old PX300 due to the fact I had to carry a passenger in the backseat of my girlfriends diminuative toyota echo [still bigger than my goggomobil though].

Was expecting to rest the keyboard across his lap [didnt want to do this with my new 330], but upon packing was able to just fit the keyboard across the boot by removing the sustain pedal and powerpac from the end of the soft case ,thus allowing the softcase to be squished smaller effecting its fitting across the boot.

This shows the versatility of the original casio softcase.Carry extra goodies or be able to compact smaller.

Ironically, upon arriving at gig I found that the plug of the older power pac [AD12FL] had been squished and I dont necessarily think from being in the case as I had removed it for transport.

It's spooky to have both power pac's plugs bend within days of each other. But i did have both at my computer earlier comparing options on how to switch over the 2 pole lead into the modern powerpac [perhaps I trod on it?]..

Fortunately if it had been permanent damage I could simply have replaced its 2 pole lead, as it was i simply bent the pin back with no damage.

Damn have used the px300 for 4 or 5 years at non payed gigs without damage..now bending a pin on 2 powerpacs within days...whats going on...?

One thing upon replaying the PX300 I noticed that the 330 has sensibly placed the speakers facing towards the audience where the 300 has it facing the sky. Although I was using the 300 this night through my PA. And man now the PX300 does sound less inviting compared to the 330 soundwise...

Therefore the 330 as a standalone keyboard should fare better with audience facing speakers that sound quite good with the improved sounds..

Readdressing the PX300 at a gig showed me it was slightly harder to switch between sounds than the 330...although it had double the buttons for sounds....or was it simply I had forgotten their locations?

Aussiekeys, why don't you just buy a plug adapter or extension cord and put it on over the plugs on the power supply unit--cut off the rest of the extension if it's in the way. That way, whatever you are doing (packing it badly, stepping on it, slamming the boot on it...who knows?) you won't be smashing the prongs together. Simple, cheap solution to what seems like a trend for you.

Wall-warts are always a hassle. It would be nice if manufacturers came up w/a better solution to the wall-wart problem, but I have a hunch that keeping the transformer away from the rest of the electronics probably reduces opportunities for turning the instrument into an antenna or otherwise introducing extraneous noise.

VLH...very good idea will look into doing that, such a simple solution for any power lead being carried.thanks

This is the first time this particular problem has happened to me with a powerpac,[has happened with leads before though] usually it's the thin wires breaking at their exit point, just seems a run of bad luck, but I was using it to emphesize the fact I had worried initially about the powerpac, more from the case of the removable prong unit becoming loose in its connection or getting broken but instead it was the prongs bent...who would have figured.

You are correct they can be a problem...but i thought problem solved with their floormount model I also have[and i still believe so]...this bent prong could have happened with a built in transformer in a keyboard too. turning the current powerpac into a floormount model by replacing with two prong lead will eliminate the removable prong cartridge, will need to test soon.

Daviel...not a huge problem just bent power pin, that i easily bent back....any powerpac could have had this happen to it, but the fortunate solution with the factory powerpac for the px330 is simply to replace the removable prong area with a 2 pole lead which is precisely what I am going to do when I find one in my gear [ironically have just moved house and finding stuff is extremely difficult as everything is packed away]

I have a preference for wall warts in gigging keyboards simply because it keeps the weight of a keyboard down if i choose to carry the wall wart separately, I put up with the other negatives they have just to keep the keyboard lightweight.

This thread is just a running review of using the new px 330, a diary of sorts. As I have always been a big fan on here of The Privias I wanted to truthfully mention any negatives or problems I have encounted to put a fair presentation of the Privia and as such I am including any difficulties even though it could be argued this could have happened to any powerpac. Maybe of interest to those wanting an insight into a possible purchase...I wont suger coat my findings just to prove I made the right purchase.

Apart from my concerns about the powerpac and the unfortunate coincidence that I bent two prongs this keyboard is so far proving a great SUCCESS for me...next step is to see how I can use it in a more complex situation...stay tuned for splitting and zoning within it and outside of it.

So far positive for PX 330, will see soon what it is like for gigging as first gig with this band in December, one on New Years Eve and one in early January, so hopefully a review of how it sounds live through the front of house in a few clubs.

@aussiekeys - apols for hijacking or piggybacking your thread.

I'm a bit of a newbie moving up from dabbling with an entry level Yamaha keyboard.

I just got a PX-330. I did compare against a Yamaha DGX630, but chose the Casio for the sound, keyboard feel, looks and price.

I'm not really knowledgeable enough yet to do a considered review. But I love it so far.

The key action feels great, very smooth, although it's going to take me a while to adjust from the entry Yamaha I was using. They seem quite heavy to me, so I set it to the lightest key touch, which doesn't change the feel/weight of the keys, just produces a louder sound quicker.

The sound of the Grand Piano's are fantastic, much better than on the DGX630. That's using the inbuilt speakers or headphones.

Someone somewhere said the notes don't sustain on the piano's. I don't think that's right. Switching from the Yamaha keyboard I noticed that I'm keeping keys down when I should have released, and I noticed this because of the sustain. So that's one thing I need to fix with my, err, technique.

The UK power adapter is fine, solid brick, that what the EU does for us I suppose.

I would say that the labels on the panel are not as easy to read as they could be. I'm late 50's, eyesight is not so good, but it must be quite tough on a darkly lit staage? Maybe you just get used to it. Also it's not as easy to navigate around as on my Yamaha or the DGX630, maybe that gets learnt too.

When I received it, there was no 'blue tape' holding the keys down. A quick check of the keys revelead one white key stuck to a black key. I released that quite easily and they are all fine.

I'm going to register online for the 3 year warranty after the 14 day UK internet no quibble return period has run out.

Happy to answer any basic questions people might have.

hi spanish bloke welcome to the site and the thread

feel free to put all your info on here, thats what I intended for this thread to get some definitive reviews from the guys in the trenches or at home.

I am happier with the sustain on the 330 than the 300, I find most digital pianos have low sustain duration, but this one is adequate, ironically electric piano and synth type piano sounds on digital pianos always have long sustain and fair better amplified...why is this so...why cant a digital piano incorporate the longer sustain of these others,I never understand that.

I find all digital piano's sustains dissapear for live work [hooked up to amplifier/PA] lost in the ambience of the room and definately drowned out by the guitar in a band.

Yes I am 50 and too find the labelling on all gear too small..I am now having to wear glasses to gig.

dIDNT HAVE ANY BLUE TAPE OVER KEYS EITHER..DONT THINK CASIO DOES THAT AND HERE IN AUSTRALIA HAVE SEEN IT ON OTHER PIANOS OR KEYBOARDS i HAVE BOUGHT....whoops sorry hit caps by mistake...no i am not shouting tee hee,.

thanks spanishbloke...anyone else feel free to pipe in with reviews, impressions, ideas...this thread could be handy for casiophiles and possible purchases if everyone who owns one gives their impressions.

Some thoughts after using the PX-330 at home for 1 week:

-----

Physical appearance and design

Price (value)

Key action

GP sounds

Asian instrument sounds (great fun, gotta learn...)

3 year warranty

Quibbles

--------

No sleep function

Hard to read panel especially in low light

Navigation could be easier (but getting used to it)

@aussiekeys

Just picked up a comment on the piano world forums from someone who's PX-330 arrived with a stuck key, like mine, and can hear a knocking sound on the piano sounds in the high registers.

I just checked mine with headphones on and after the F6 and upwards I too can hear a knocking sound. It's part of the tone (not a physical key knock)! I had not noticed it before using the inbuilt speakers, but have not played too much up in that range yet.

Is yours like that too? Thanks

Any other PX-330 owners?

hi spanishbloke

have not noticed it myself,I picked my 330 up from shop and all keys were fine, have not used headphones as yet , am having band practise tommorrow nite will check then, if not tonight..we are in the middle of a heatwave period around 40 degress centigrade and had to work at a vintage car swapmeet this morning and still to unload my car parts so I dought physically if i can cope playing keyboard today...hee hee

will check when i can

is it in every sound?

Hi aussiekeys

It's on all the GP sounds, modern and classic.

I could not hear it on any of the other voices.

Now that I can hear it, it's really clear on the highest 88th key, C8. That key just sounds like knocking on wood or a soundboard. The B one step down is similar but has a hint of a piano tone. That entire highest octave sounds pretty wooden in fact. I'm going to run a pitch test later today and see if it's not my ancient ears.

A heatwave doesn't sound like much fun. In the UK we've got floods from torrential rain. I heard parts of Aussie could do with some of our water, you're welcome to it.

Ran a pitch test today using the inbuilt speakers and it's fine.

Went to the local music shop and played a few other DP's and keyboards, mostly Roland's, using their speakers and also my headphones.

Came away with some nice new, quite expensive headphones, leaving behind a pleased salesman.

So my PX-330 is fine, but my ears ARE deteriorating :-)

hee hee glad to hear that ,

not your deteriorating ears but that you couldnt replicate the knocks.

fortunately the 42.5 degree heatwave has left us today for a cold snap [yesterday had me disturbed because my mountain art studio about an hours drive from me was said to be threatened by bushfires again, investigation today revealed that it was at least 12 k's away and government was overeacting because of last years devestating fires in victoria, better safe than sorry though]..its either stinking hot or very cold here, we have only 2 seasons but this made band practise comfortable, giving me a chance to play my Privia remotely from a sling on keyboard [keytar if you must]..my Casio AZ1 [refer Thomas Dolby]

this worked nicely with privia, exposing a wonderful thing I hadnt even considered with the privia that it responds to aftertouch [AZ1`has aftertouch]...great..usually i read this in the specs, guess i overlooked it.

program changes were readily executed from the remote, accessing the sounds available in the 8th button location labeled various/GM sounds.Unfortunately display didnt show program changes though so no idea which sounds I was accessing at this stage, but with 128 note polyphony some complex zoning could be arranged.

of coarse this AZ1 is only going to access 128 sounds so depending how privia has set them up ,

a quick glance in the manual shows the GM sounds although seemingly numbered incorrectly indeed do respond to GM's correct program changes...

other sounds do seem to have bank select numbers associated to them but I could not access them with a controller non equiped for bank changes.

interesting test the inbuilt speakers are able to cope as onboard monitoring in practise situation if desired and sounded good, even holding onto the sustain, but of coarse you risk not knowing what people are hearing from the front of house.But surprisingly loud in band practise situation,

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I just bought a PX330 after having a YPG635 for 6 months. First off, I will say that I can't comment on playing "live"-- I can't even get my own family to listen to me play--so I have no experience with monitors, PA's, etc etc.

I will say that I liked the Yamaha very much except that the left hand would not sustain in split function and for me that was the deal breaker. The speakers were a little weak but sounded great through headphones. I thought the piano voices were pretty good (again I remind you that I am not a professional) and I especially loved Yamaha's "sweet" voices. But the split sustain thing just drove me over the edge so I sold it and picked up the Casio.

I'm not wild about the internal speakers -- I tend to like a lot of bass--but they do sound fine with headphones. The piano voices are fine to me, most of the other voices don't thrill me and I do miss the "sweet" voices which Casio can't seem to duplicate. The built in rhythms are fun but they sound very tinny (but they were also like that on the Yamaha) and that distracts me. I think there's a way to play around with them and adjust them but I'm rather dense at that kind of thing.

I agree that one must pretty much memorize location of the buttons as they're rather hard to read!

I can see where the light weight of the Privia would make for much easier travel, yet it is sturdy with the wooden stand attached.

I haven't bought the 3 pedal unit for this one as I did for the Yammy and am using a squeaky sustainer one that I think I'll just replace as I am not missing the sostenuto and whatever.

In summary, I guess I would say that I do not regret buying the Privia but I've only had it about 3 weeks and am still learning things about it. I'll be interested to "hear" your reactions over time.

Sandy

• 4 months later...
What i would have liked to see on this board was two more buttons thus creating a 10 digit pad capable of typing in the desired number for the various tones, this could have also been used for other functions

Yeah, it seems like an unfortunate omission. On some of the older Casios, you could at least hit a button that would let you use the piano keys as digit entry keys. Not ideal (couldn't do it while playing in the middle of the song), but still a lot better than nothing.

I was surprised to see even a higher end Nord keyboard had this same shortcoming, no way to direct-enter a patch number, you just had to keep "scrolling." This doesn't seem reasonable for any "pro" keyboard, and doesn't seem like it would be a difficult or expensive thing to implement.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

hi scott

was just thinking last night i might update on my progress with this keyboard

Although for the GM and extra sounds the 10 digit pad would be great, and for calling up registrations, I have found the dedicated sounds easy to access, infact very easy, although reading the names is difficult, so for using the actual dedicated sounds I would say no problems.

GM and extra sounds are a pain in the butt as it means scrolling thru heaps to get at them.

To use it as a master keyboard would need a 10 digit pad.

So I have been using ths live for quite a while...love it, feel connected and having been leaving the speakers on [mainly because I keep forgetting to carry a headphones jack to isolate them...but this means it feels like the sounds come from the piano.

Ok things that have gone wrong...the sustain pedal..died..but to be fair I didnt know if this was the pedal from my old PX300 as i gave away a pedal with the 300..I may have gave them the newer 330 pedal as both were identical..I had found the old pedal lasted a long time..so I cant be sure this wasnt the older pedal..doesnt matter I had a better floor pedal I found in a drawer that I use now.

secondly... I found that the power wart input plug is different to the plug from previous models...so my spare heavy duty floor mount casio transformer will not be operational as a backup, this was disturbing as I had been carrying that as a backup...by accident I plugged it in to find to my horror they had changed the plugs...bummer.

Ok relitively easy to change plug, but I'd rather have it the same as previous models due to this interchangability.

Soundwise so far I think all sounds I use cut thru well, keys feel great, and like all casios I've had before so far look unbreakable or unwearoutable under normal playing]...always consistant and always the keybed is inline.

regards different sounds in the main banks..there is enough variations to get thru most gigs, but lacking horns and solo type sounds..which must be found in the extra bank which is a bugger to scroll thru...these sounds are GM and similar so dont appeal as much but can get you thru if needed,,I would like to add a second keyboard on top to address this and to use as a master for zoning..but the casio is made as a piano so any GM sounds are just extras..you could get by using the main sounds all night as I have been doing so far though and no one in the audience would contest that. .

still very very happy.

feel connected and having been leaving the speakers on mainly because I keep forgetting to carry a headphones jack to isolate them...but this means it feels like the sounds come from the piano.

Yeah, I've talked about that elsewhere, that I'm disappointed that the forthcoming PX-3 won't have speakers, because they do make the playing experience feel more real.

I found that the power wart input plug is different to the plug from previous models...so my spare heavy duty floor mount casio transformer will not be operational as a backup, this was disturbing as I had been carrying that as a backup...by accident I plugged it in to find to my horror they had changed the plugs...bummer.

You're lucky to have discovered that before you needed it!

lacking horns and solo type sounds..which must be found in the extra bank which is a bugger to scroll thru

Couldn't you assign some to registration presets for quicker access? Not as good as keypad access to all the sounds for on-the-fly stuff, but still...

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I've done only a couple gigs with mine. But it is perfectly usable and I love the sound and feel of the acoustic piano. The organ sounds aren't great. I used my Juno D for organ instead. I have a Roland Sonic Cell so I could setup a registration or two that use that. I haven't tried using it as a controller but plan to try it this weekend. I only have a couple minor complaints. The buttons on a dark stage are almost invisible! And the drum machine buttons are right next to the volume wheel. I accidentally hit it once mid song! Really embarrassing!

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

And the drum machine buttons are right next to the volume wheel. I accidentally hit it once mid song! Really embarrassing!

yep done that twice...but only in practise...hope not gig...it happened when I was setting up or repositioning keyboard. Not a chance stroke from a digit.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 years later...

Struth.................

I can't believe I ran across this old thread i started in 2009. I am still campaigning this now older casio.

Update (11 or so years later)

Used it in that band back then as a standalone board as I didn't need zoning so didn't add any module or second tier keyboard.

Campaigned it till that band folded then took a break from band gigging of many years due to health though I used it for various but less frequent solo performances to keep my hand in.

Around 3 years ago I joined another band and campaigned this till covid shut us down. It spent 6 months sitting at the band practise room untouched and I had ideas of updating it when i was away from it. But when reunited to it I so re fell In love with the action again I'd only change it if I could get a lighter 88 or 76 note board (health lugging reasons only).

Note how earlier in this thread I suggested Casio should take this PX330 keyboard and merge it with their Casio AZ1 keytar which had a very good zoning setup and merge them into a controller keyboard but with my ideal of 4 zone.

Well later they did that and produced the PX3. I pre-empted that keyboard with that comment and often wonder if they listened to me (hah) I had mentioned it on few threads. It was an uncanny coincidence when I saw the PX3 then the PX5s with the 4 zones. The AZ1 was such a good zoner/ controller I still have mine.

Anyway this PX330 is going strong and I still can't give it up as yet due to its key feel.

I recently added my lovely portable Alesis QS6.1 synth above it (Yes I like its sounds) with my new lightweight Stay Slim 2 tier stand I have a good combo and I could fit the alesis directly above the casio in a nice close location.

Easy to move hands between them but alas I didn't like that I could no longer access the casios controls thus missing out on the casio sounds I'd so come to feel comfortable with.

Placing the alesis higher on the stand was not an option so it's no longer on top tier (also cause it's got the common hum that alesis gets I didn't like hearing that buzz between songs)

Anyway I'll try my module version I have of it if it doesn't hum or my trusty old nano synth.

But it may be I again revert to just the privia for simplicity.

So yes it's still going strong, and still looks neat condition having used the matching casio gig bag. Yes the original power pack is going strong and not had more bent prong incidents with it since back then. Even the 1/4 outputs are still solid although i am very careful with them.

The keybed is still straight and is as new play wise and look wise. Speakers still sound as new. Plastic body survives very well if you are careful. But I don't even worry if it gets scars but its still very presentable. Not beat up as some expect but i am my own roady.

Only strange thing I had happen is playing in a barn with flooring on hay bales with a long extension lead powering all the band.

On startup in the first song i found i was a semitone or so out. Turned it off and back on and it was back to normal...never happebed again. I have heard people have had problems with sticky pitch wheels causing a similar situation but I dont think that was my problem but power issues.

Do I recommend them yes.

Copies of this so each can be found in the foyer.

how DARE you misspell STREWTH :D

Fair "suck of the sav" Cobber. "Struth" is local lingo dialect spelling. More refined don't ya' think?

It's all in the accent. ;) (is this a winking moon face?)

Or maybe my Sydney accent has changed now I live south of the border.

We speak with a plumb in our mouths down 'ere. . Lilly Pilly plumb to you or to our learn'ed friends Acmena spp., Syzygium spp. Some times it's Davidson's Plum (Davidsonia pruriens)

but definitely talk "like our shite don't stink".

Ava-good-wee-gend

Good to see ya here

Dang cool to hear about inspiration attained with tried and true gear

Yep sometimes something just gells with you on a keyboard for me its this ones action on a light weight board. I am scared to give it up because of that reason although since the PX5s came out all those years go I had gas for that especially being of similar action and my so asked for and covetted 4 zone controller function and the added advantage of great sound set.

But I just couldn't bring myself to spend that money on that new board at the time after shelling out similar money for the PX330 not that far before it. My wife even prompted me to buy it when viewing the first one i saw in Sydney in a shop but just couldn't bring myself to shelling out on a similar keyboard that money again so soon. As it is I may wait till a you used one comes up cheap or a keyboard under 10kg preferably around 7kg but I'd have to switch to a semi weighted action which I'm not sure I could hack but am open to.

I have a second non working junk PX330 I got for spares which I had thought about experimentally chopping into a 76 noter and removing the speakers to see how much weight I'd save. It's rough and knocked around so no loss if cut up. I think it has a blown mother board too so it would be an experimental thing to see if it's viable although I have seen an online pics of the keybed and note the keybed is a continuous enitity so perhaps more work is I envolved than is warranted. But who knows I may pursue that experiment .

The pursuit of an even lighter weight board is still a possibility due to my health. The lighter I can get would benefit my longevity of gigging although I'm at a crossroads with my current band where it's bugging me and may decide enough is enough and therefore I don't need a lightweight gigging board anymore as I think health wise this may be my last gigging band I can physically be in but who knows as the lure of performing is so great it always drags me back in.

Anyway we have just gone back in to total lock down again and our first (and only) new post covid gig at a festival in a months time is likely at risk so will we even get gigs back being we are old farts and there's maybe never enough gigs to go around post covid and it's logical to assume younger bands will fill the role before older bands.

• 3 years later...

UPDATE:   

3 years later...said in (that deep social media voice)

wow..this thread is still accessable from 2009 and im still about to campaign a PX330 although i do have a lighter upstart waiting in the wings if needed 

Well as said above after I left the last band in 2021 and as I thought I'd probably given up gigging (due to crap health) i mothballed my Privia.

After letting my dads Yamaha G1 go due to intended house move I started using my Kawai MP9500 at home so didnt need the Privia for home

But you cant keep a gigger down and i continually looked for a suitable local duo partner or band. This took me 3 years in my locale but have found someone who i can gel with and who understands my health limitations.  Rehearsals Sounding good so far.

A year ago i bought a used but mint Studiologic Numa Cocal 2x as a 7.1kg  lighterweight alternative to my 11.5kg Casio Px330.

Will it replace the Privia?

Well i hadnt played the Numa in the year i had it as we were going thru a 12 month house move. So recently i played with it enough to know I could handle its semi weighted feel in a band situation but probably not a solo piano / vocal gig.

But playing the PX330 after a 3 year break instantly told me the Privia feels natural to me and I still love its feel. Recently i even picked up a Casio CDP-200R as for home use if the PX330 remains in its gig bag between gigs.

The CDR feels good too although being made the next year I believe its keybed is a previous model keybed perhaps a 320 or older.

So these older Privia keybeds still shine for me. But health wise carrying the Privia knocks the shite out of me.

Enter the possibility of the Numa Compact 2x

the good

its easier to carry.

Its keybed is acceptable for a semi weighted. infact better than most.

Its sounds are good

It beats the sustain on the PX330 which ive always been antsy about.

It can access external modules which I'd add my minuscule Alesis Nano Synth once i find its power pack.

It has drawbars...wow

Even aftertouch

It has midi dins which are disappearing so quickly 

Its incredible lightweight and sleek and i like the look and love the finish on the plastic. If you bend the chassis there is some flex but not under normal use. Why are you bending your's anyway.

The bad

The damn volume knob is on the right. What a stupid idea and a big let down. I dont use a volume pedal and rely on left hand tomfoolery to adjust volume. Please Studiologic move the whole tone volume section to the left. I have a physical mod i could do to put a volume knob on left If i gig it

Ive heard in the hot sun the stickers can all curl off. Being in Australia this is a nightmare thought. Even though im in the colder south we have been going thru a heatwave last 3 days. I imagine gigging this keyboard now would curl my stickers and my toes. My duo partner loves doing outdoor gigs and the reason to have a lighweight board is for such long distance / difficult access to stage which is often a case with outdoor gigs

The sounds cut out when changing programs.

It uses spits instead of true zoning

It doesnt have a music rest which the privias have

Overal i like it and it may replace my privia due to heath reason but so far the Privia beats it for its piano feel. It just feels natural sitting behind it although i figure id get used to the Numa as i gigged a Roland A30 controller which has the same keybed in the 90s and so loved that keybed back then

Summary. When I sat back at the privia after a long break it felt comfortable. What a marvellous feel for an old keyboard. At this stage the Privia is still in but the Numa is bouncing up and down in the corner saying "take me for a walk" like a "wanting" dingo pup.

• Like 1

Following on from our conversation the other day, I wonder if you could program one of the slider cc's for expression, and use it as a volume control.

I don't know why they put the volume on the right, where all the others Numa's are on the left, except it does follow signal path convention, but that means all the others don't.

I agree, semi weighted is a doable compromise for piano, and I think the Casio may be your "at certain times" alternative. Or maybe just play the Numa a bit more to get more used to it:)

The companions I can't live without: Kawai Acoustic Grand, Yamaha MontageM8x, Studiologic Numa Piano X GT,
Other important stuff: Novation Summit, NI Komplete Ultimate 14 CE, Omnisphere, EW Hollywood and Fantasy Orchestra, Spitfire Albion and Symphony, Pianoteq 8 Pro, Roland RD88.