Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What do you do with the urge?

DanS

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y193/Bluntinst/IMG_1645.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y193/Bluntinst/IMG_1643.jpg

I succumbed to mine Saturday morning.

I have to admit, it was the shortest GASTP (GAS To Purchase) I've ever experienced.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

getting married cured the urge. Now, being a responsible type, I have to consider that if I run out and buy a bunch of toys, it adversely affects both of our lives. (Of course, I'm almost completely retired now, and pennies count more when you are in that position.)

The funny part about it is that the Rock'N'Roll GirlFriend completely supports my gear addiction. Anything that I want, I can have. I guess it must be reverse-psychology... but I consider purchases and value of purchases very carefully now, when just a few short years ago, if I wanted it I bought it, period.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

My urge is usually cured by a trip to the music store. After a playing the latest offerings, I can walk out totally relieved and empty-handed.

Dan, congrats on the new KB. :thu:

Do tell, if the S80 got traded, sold or merely retired to the studio. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

The funny part about it is that the Rock'N'Roll GirlFriend completely supports my gear addiction. Anything that I want, I can have.

One of the lucky ones there!

I usually trade a music purchase for a home-improvement project. I guess that's why I haven't brought a new keyboard lately. I'd have to finish my 6-year backyard project! :tired:

"Music should never be harmless."

Robbie Robertson

I look at my bank account and budget priorities.

But congrats nevertheless. How do you like the 70XS?

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

getting married cured the urge. Now, being a responsible type, I have to consider that if I run out and buy a bunch of toys, it adversely affects both of our lives. (Of course, I'm almost completely retired now, and pennies count more when you are in that position.)

The funny part about it is that the Rock'N'Roll GirlFriend completely supports my gear addiction. Anything that I want, I can have. I guess it must be reverse-psychology... but I consider purchases and value of purchases very carefully now, when just a few short years ago, if I wanted it I bought it, period.

My wife is very cool about purchases as well. As long as all the important things are being looked after, and I don't buy gear while the roof is leaking, I don't get any grief.

ProfD, S80 will be sold. I can't lug it around anymore, too heavy, and the S70 is lighter (by 10lbs) where I can bring it home from practice.

MusicWorkz, I liked what I heard in the store, but when I got it home and fired it through the Adams, my jaw dropped. The freaking arps are incredible. It's like having Band In A Box in your synth, great fun, and great for jamming by yourself.

The C6 piano sample is the first I've heard in a rompler that I would use in a solo recording. It's that good.

Going from the S80 to the XS series is huge for me. When the MotifXS' first came out, I tried one and thought they were great. I remember saying "If only they'd come out with this sound set in an S90 style board without the sequencer.

Well here it is.

Ergonomically, the controls are logically laid out. You have at least 3 ways to change patches in a live setting, and if you need to drop the octave down, or transpose, the buttons are just above the keys, so you could even do so while playing.

I do have a few issues with it however.

As has been mentioned before, the size of even the 70 is silly big. It doesn't sit as well on my studio desk, because it's about an inch and a half taller than the S80, and the audio connections & power cord are right in line with a shelf on the studio desk, so I've had to pull it forward about 3 inches to clear. I really don't understand the tiny LCD either, they have the real estate around it to make it at least 4x the size.

In any case, despite the quibbles, it's a fine sounding machine, and I'm quite happy with it.

Dan, the XS is a beast among workstations. Make sure to take some time to learn the Master Mode...it is invaluable when you are gigging and doing multi-songs with multiple set-ups.

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

Archived