Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hi from the bottom end.

SteveC

Hey guys,

I am usually on the Lowdown but the lead singer/guitar player from my band and I may be starting a project. I was playing a Taylor 214ce the other day just for fun and sent him an email saying we should drop the other guys and do a duo so I'd have a reason to buy a sweet Taylor. (He has a 414 I think.) Anyway, he replied all serious. So now I'm wondering if I should try this. I started on guitar long ago but found I liked bass. I must say that now that he seems serious, I am intrigued as playing guitar and singing harmony vocals would b ea COMPLETE departure from what I am used to and my comfort zone.

Any thoughts or advice?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The bass and guitar are completely different instruments, not only in how you play them, but in the train of thought required while following the music. This means that it will be an entirely different thing from your regular gig.

My opinion? Sometimes diversions are a good thing and can help you grow as a musician. Go for it. Enjoy it.

You can still play bass even when playing as a duo especially when it adds a certain vibe to make a song work...on songs with lead guitar you can use two guitars and put down the bass...plus you have the harmony vocals going for you so...go for it...also consider having a duo and still play with the band from time to time...
Take care, Larryz

First, you have to be as committed or it will end up sucking for both of you.

If you are, I think that an acoustic bass (or one of the hybrids, like the thinline hollow carvins) would be more interesting in a duo than two guitars. Not only that, but if you get so popular that you need one, acoustic guitarists are a dime a dozen. Plus, as Larry says, you can play both, without having quite such a steep learning curve.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Steve, Steve, Steve... trolling other forums just for an excuse to buy new gear? Sigh...

I'd consider borrowing a guitar for a brainstorming/rehearsal session with the guy to see how you work together, how you'd arrange things, etc; and see which works better- 2 guitars, or guitar & bass; before committing to buyihng an axe that may or may not end up seeing use.

Ok, no I wouldn't: I'd just buy a guitar- that's how I am.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Why not do both- the current band, and a separate duo? No reason not to, unless there's just no way that you could have the time to do both (but I'd expect that your fledgling duo wouldn't eat up as much time or get as many gigs as your full-on band, at least not for a while).

And- in the duo, it could be a good idea to play guitar for some songs, and bass for others. It would help you have a longer set-list right off the bat, and from the audience's persepctive it breaks up the set-list and makes it more varied and attention-holding.

Also, there must be at least a few songs that you both already know from your current band's set-list, that you could translate over to duo-arrangements for two guitars or guitar and bass.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I can see a number of tunes whee it would work to play a little bass.

There are a number of tunes from the current set that would work.

I may or may not be playing in the band any more as the keyboard player apparently has some issues with me after 5 years and has also mentioned he'd rather play organ in a horn band so...

The singer/guitar player has brought this up before, so maybe he's ready for a change, too.

I knew someone would give me crap about buying gear :-)

The other guy has a Martin he doesn't use much since buying his Taylor so I may be able to use that at first.

Make the best of it with the band for as long as you can; the duo will make a great side-project that will be both an alternate outlet for you, and a "parachute" should you jump from, get pushed out of, or survive the death of the band!

Make the best of it with the band for as long as you can; the duo will make a great side-project that will be both an alternate outlet for you, and a "parachute" should you jump from, get pushed out of, or survive the death of the band!

This is my thinking. I'm not sure what will happen. We've been together for a while - 5 years - with relatively little drama.

Keyboard guys sometimes have issues with the bass player as they want to play bass runs with the left hand on some songs and the bass player wants to keep on doing what he's doing at the same time...maybe the keyboard guy could run some bass on some songs while you do some practicing up on the acoustic guitar? this may or may not be even close to the issues but thought I'd mention it anyway...
Take care, Larryz

Keyboard guys sometimes have issues with the bass player as they want to play bass runs with the left hand on some songs and the bass player wants to keep on doing what he's doing at the same time...maybe the keyboard guy could run some bass on some songs while you do some practicing up on the acoustic guitar? this may or may not be even close to the issues but thought I'd mention it anyway...

Good call (and I've seen that go BOTH ways- bassists complaining that they're crowded by the keyboard-player's left-hand, too).

If it's anything like that, surely something could be arranged. :rimshot:

That's not the issue. Not really sure what is. He's probably just having a bad week.

Buy him some candy and flowers, then. ;) (Well, it'll end the band problems fast, anyways! :D )

I received this on the Lowdown Forum. Seems like good advice:

I'm just a little nervous to put myself "out there" like that as it isn't in my personality to be a "front" guy in a band. I am much more comfortable playing bass in the background.

Around here acoustic duos are quite popular (because they are less expensive for the venues to hire than a 4-piece).

If your buddy doesn't mind singing lead and playing leads for 4 hours then I'd say you'll pretty much stay in your comfort zone in the shadows.

However, I would strongly recommend that you at least sing lead on a few songs to give his voice (and the audience's ears) a rest. Get your feet wet by playing a few open mics, just you and your guitar. (Don't worry; nobody really listens at an open mic.)

I've seen a successful electric duo, too, guitar and bass. They just kept it low key through song choice, arrangement, keeping the volume down and sitting in chairs.

The duos that are most in demand are male/female. Obviously that lineup has the most potential variety.

Go ahead and give it a try. It'll be a lot of fun!

[i put my acoustic duo project on hold indefinitely because I wanted to split lead vocals 50/50 and don't have 2 hours of material I can lead on yet.]

Seems like good advice.

I've also known people who did well with an electric bassist and an acoustic guitarist/singer for a duo; occasionally I played little restaurant gigs with them, on electric guitar. The electric bass/acoustic guitar-plus-vocals format sounded great! My contribution was little fills and a lead now and then, all done in a "supportive" way.

That's not the issue. Not really sure what is. He's probably just having a bad week.

If you have been together for 5 years and he's having a bad week, maybe a little time will heal the wounds...try to take he high road and see if there's anything you two can do to patch it up a little...continue with the duo plan though...I mostly play duo with a harmonica buddy and the harmonies give us a great sound...my only problem is if I let go of the rythym to play lead the harmonica can't provide enough chord back up and there is some empty space...playing with my other buddy the bass player it's not quite so bad...but I think for lead work, two guitars or a guitar and a keyboard are the best way to go....if there are no leads, then any combo works well (male & female would probably sound pretty darn good especially on the vocals..)

Take care, Larryz

Archived