Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT -Help! Another wedding (grrr)

mcgoo

Some people won't take no for an answer. I've managed to get myself roped into playing another wedding. I hate doing 'em 'cause I suck at 'em. I swear I'll shoot the next person who asks me to play one...

Anyway, they want "Ave Maria". I just found 2 versions- Bach's & Shubert's. Which one is commonly used in weddings?

thanks,

greg

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hiya Greg - I've played each at different weddings over the years, accompanying singers, sequenced instrumental with a breath-controller flute patch carrying melody, all sorts of versions. I approach it as a request for "the wedding march" - Um, please clarify which one / what you have in mind and I'll try to accommodate.

Because I ran the worship ministry at my old church for over a decade, I played a ton of weddings over the years. It can be really a satisfying gig when I was brought in at the very early planning stages. The couple often deferred to my input and suggestions and we often crafted a really nice service with music intertwining and supporting each facet of the ceremony.

If by the Bach version you're referring to the Gounod setting that uses the Bach C Major WTC Prelude, then I agree with Tim that both of the versions you've found are commonly used. My suspicion is that the Shubert is somewhat more well-known, but I've done both many times. Will someone be singing? Are you on piano or organ?

Larry.

LOL - that is so funny - same thing happened to me - my nephews friend asked me to do the cocktail hour - I said yes - I was going to go to it anyway - and they don't have much money but I haven't done one in FOREVER - hey come to think of it I have never done one solo - OMG - what have I agreed to - hope they like jazz...

The Schubert is more commonly used at weddings, in my experience.

But, as iLaw suggested, it isn't as frequently done as an instrumental.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

She thinks it's the Schubert version, but was going by what she heard me play over the phone.

OK Greg - I've been in your office. I've known you now for almost 20 years. I NEVER would have expected you to get that low tech.....
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

She thinks it's the Schubert version, but was going by what she heard me play over the phone.

OK Greg - I've been in your office. I've known you now for almost 20 years. I NEVER would have expected you to get that low tech.....

Well, ya got me there, kinda. I downloaded a recording of it & transposed it to a few different keys that I think will work for her range. I'll send her a link to posted mp3's so she can verify it's the right song & let me know what key she wants to do it in. Then I'll input it into Sibelius & put it in the right key.

If I were really good, I'd just take the piano music I've got, sight read it & transpose as I go, but unfortunately I'm a better geek than pianist.

www.gmma.biz

If you know them both equally well, no probs.

I played it with a singer at my wife's BFF's wedding.I assumed he was going to do the Schubert. He shows up to the rehearsal and says "No, I sing the Gounod"

So I stayed up a little running thru the Gounod.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

... If I were really good, I'd just take the piano music I've got, sight read it & transpose as I go, but unfortunately I'm a better geek than pianist.

Or if you're really lucky she'll want to do it in C. That's the key violinists always do it in, so go to IMSLP and download a pdf of it arranged for violin and piano. No worries, Schubert is public domain.

Larry.

I agree it's probably the Schubert - I just did it a few months ago with a singer.

The cool thing is - if you're a "play the chord changes" kind of player more so than "read the notes" - - it's a tune that can be easily faked - - you can just listen and write out the chords, or get the piano part and write changes in the bars. Really a gorgeous piece too.

I agree it's probably the Schubert - I just did it a few months ago with a singer.

The cool thing is - if you're a "play the chord changes" kind of player more so than "read the notes" - - it's a tune that can be easily faked - - you can just listen and write out the chords, or get the piano part and write changes in the bars. Really a gorgeous piece too.

I did sit down & write out the chord changes. I do have the notation, but it's in G, which I know will be too high for the singer. Just as an exercize I may learn it from the notation & then transpose it, but it will bea easy enough to fake just transposing the chord changes if I need to.

www.gmma.biz

Some people won't take no for an answer. I've managed to get myself roped into playing another wedding. I hate doing 'em 'cause I suck at 'em. I swear I'll shoot the next person who asks me to play one...

Anyway, they want "Ave Maria". I just found 2 versions- Bach's & Shubert's. Which one is commonly used in weddings?

thanks,

greg

As others have seemingly answered your main question here, I'll just provide support for your decision to not do weddings any more. IT'S OK BROTHER! DON'T DO THEM ANY MORE!!! It's REALLY ok to hate them (playing at them that is).

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

... My guess is that, if it is indeed the Schubert version, I'll need to put it in D for the singer.

Go to Sheet Music Direct and you can download it in any key you want. 4 bucks.

Better yet, have HER go to Sheet Music Direct. She can sing along with it in the Scorch screen, transposing it until she finds her perfect key, then print it out on HER 4 bucks.

Wedding accompanists don't make enough to be throwing 4 bucks around like Warren Buffett.

Larry.

Archived