Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

GAS for th ne rhodes mark 7

fjzingo

I've just returned from testing the new rhodes at our local jazzclub here in Gothenburg, I must say it's awesome!!

-More dynamic

-Better attack

-Smoother new key feel

It feels new!!

Tried my old Mark II, which is in extraordinary shape, almos like new, directly when I came home.....pretty close to the new one but get's beaten in all the above points----especially the attack. I won't mention how it compars to my mark I.

the keyboard is quite light in comparison to the old guys.

I wan't one.....now

So wasn't there anything bad ????

The keyboard was jumping up and down on the keystand used(proel or something) a bit when pressing down the pedal, i guess this could be fixed.

/Fredrik

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, following the farrago on here last time this machine got mentioned, is anyone else on KC now in receipt of one, tried one, ordered one...?

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

I thought it was out and in the shops (on-line at least)?

Whatever happened to Waldorf Stromberger?

And now we have the Korg Electric Piano on its way.

I would say whoever delivers first will get the customers. :-)

But as Korg pulled out of the clonewheel market, they may be looking for Big Numbers to sustain their offering. The other two players might stay more committed even if numbers are small.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

So wasn't there anything bad ????

.... the price?

Is there anyone here who has actually purchased this new Rhodes?

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Speaking of the new Rhodes, does anyone know who this Joe Brandstetter guy is? Years ago, there was a piano dealer in Los Angeles by that name. Allegedly, he was a real nut job.

Can of worms, opened you have.

Signed, Yoda

If into the security recordings you go, only pain will you find.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I love you guys, but I sure am tired of the vague insinuations and innuendo directed at Brandstetter. Please, either present some facts and sources, or shut up about it already. We are doing a really good job creating a general dislike for the guy, but I haven't seen or heard anything concrete to support it.

All I know for sure is that the guy is putting a lot of energy and money into bringing back an instrument that I love. A real instrument, in this day of plastic made in China toys.

I love you guys, but I sure am tired of the vague insinuations and innuendo directed at Brandstetter. Please, either present some facts and sources, or shut up about it already. We are doing a really good job creating a general dislike for the guy, but I haven't seen or heard anything concrete to support it.

All I know for sure is that the guy is putting a lot of energy and money into bringing back an instrument that I love. A real instrument, in this day of plastic made in China toys.

There are numerous factual sources for the dislike of this man; and just because you haven't been privy to the discussion doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

Google for the story of his actions just before and immediately after Harold Rhodes' death (including the lawsuit he lost, levied against him by Mr. Rhodes' widow).

In the past year, he has levied at least 3 "Trademark Infringement" lawsuits against manufacturers and threatened website owners with legal action (manufacturer lawsuits here, Google for the RhodesSuperSite.com legal threats if you're interested).

You can say he's just protecting what he believes is rightfully his, but you can't argue that he definitely soured the marketplace. Well, the marketplace minus you. ;)

:snax:

Sorry, fjzingo, I didn't mean to hijack the thread. I'm really glad to hear an actual report from someone who has actually tried one! I've got serious GAS for one too, but I can't spend that kind of money on it-- not yet, at least.

Sven, I have googled and googled in an attempt to find some substance. I just did it some more at your suggestion. Aside from those three lawsuits, about which no information is available, there is almost nothing.

-He asked the RhodesSuperSite to change their name, and they did, right?

-Harold Rhodes' widow sued Brandstetter over the use of the name associated with a teaching method.

ALL the forum posts refer to rumors taken from other forum posts. Please, prove me wrong and post a link because I sincerely want to know more.

The only thing souring the marketplace are the eagerly rancorous posts here and on HC KSS.

Companies sue each-other every day. Nobody says "I won't buy that Motif because Yamaha sues people over FM synthesis".

I do believe that we should apply our conscience when buying things. There are truly evil corporations out there - Monsanto comes to mind - and we should not give them our money. But the new Rhodes is no where near that category.

Frogmonkey, if you're looking for a sense of how deeply feelings run on this issue, the Yahoo Rhodes group might be a place to check. If memory serves I recall some very heated words being thrown around there a few years ago concerning JB's concern over the Super Site's use of the Rhodes name. The personal nature of the attacks left many with a bitter taste in the mouth.

Hi all,

Brandstetter has made a fantastic new rhodes-better than any rhodes ever existed Mark1-5-you cannot take that away from him or his co-workers. Congratulations.

I guess there are a lot of feelings going around but some small facts to add to the fire:

-The presentation of the new rhodes mark 7 here in gothenburg was initiated by freddan who is one of the guys behind the rhodes supersite and svenska hammond.

-There is a lawsuit right here if you look for evidence of Brandstetter defending rhodes name/attacking clavia, avid .....below

http://dockets.justia.com/docket/court-cacdce/case_no-2:2008cv05886/case_id-425201/

Try out the new rhodes I'm shure you feel the GAS and explode

/Fredrik

Brandstetter has made a fantastic new rhodes-better than any rhodes ever existed Mark1-5-you cannot take that away from him or his co-workers. Congratulations.

I'm not convinced it's a sizable improvement over the Mark V (which I own). According to the Keyboard mag video interview the major action and tonebar components are 100% swappable between the Mark V and VII. The original Rhodes company put a lot of R&D into the Mark V and it makes sense the new company would leverage that work. I just don't think the Mark VII is going to play or sound much different than a Mark V and the few Mark VIIs I've played at NAMM don't.

I have been most interested in the MIDI-ed Mark VII, which still does not seem to be available. At the audiomidi.com site you can't order a MIDI version.

Also, while I think the Mark VIIs are nicer looking than any of the previous models, the design also makes them less portable. Rhodes were always designed built into the case. You have handles, a cover and places for the pedal and legs. This continued through the Mark V. When I was younger I always carried and setup my Rhodes by myself. Even at age 55 I can lift my Mark V in/out of my van and setup it up without assistance. The Mark VII is quite different. There are no handles on the body so it really doesn't seem practical that one person can get a handle on this thing to get it up on the stand. Also, there is now a need for a travel case and a road case is going to be huge and heavy. The Mark VII is speced at (approximately) 85 lbs. The Mark V is 100 lbs but that is in the case. It's a minor difference in weight really. I don't like to rely on others when dealing with my equipment. If help is available, great, but I don't want to have to depend on it.

I am not overly negative about the Mark VII in general. I just think, after all is said and done, it's not all that great of an improvement over what I already own.

Busch.

BurningBusch hits the nail on the head... atm the MK7 is ideal for the studio I think... but it would need a new casing for the road...

I don't thnk it would be a big deal for Rhodes to make a more roadworthy rhodes... even if it was in a proper case as before. I loved the tone, and I could probably get used to the 'improved' action over time... I'm so used to my MkII that I don't feel the Mk7 in the same way... it feels a lot like the Roland GX to me.. but as that is supposed to be like a grand piano thats no demerit...

Have to ad that the cost of the casing for the mark VII is more than I paid for my Mark II in excellent shape 2 months ago....or my mark 1 ages ago...

BurningBusch, you're probably right about the similarity to Mark V, I've actually only played one once at a recording session so I probably shouldn't be the one to talk about improvements over Mark 5.....

And by the way---Hi Neil, are you everywhere or????

/Fred

Brandstetter tried to bully the biggest rhodes fanbase fenderrhodes.com into changing their name. That won Brandstetter some new fans for the Mark VII (NOT!)

They refused to hand over the domain and to reward Brandstetter for his arrogance the moderators will delete any thread that discusses the new Rhodes.

Archived