Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

GAS for th ne rhodes mark 7

fjzingo

I'm still wondering if Joe Brandstetter (now with Rhodes) is the same guy as Joe Brandstetter the alleged disreputable piano dealer from Los Angeles. If so, does anyone know how he got involved with Rhodes? Seems like the kiss of death to me. Poor old Harold must be spinning somewhere right now.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brandstetter has made a fantastic new rhodes-better than any rhodes ever existed Mark1-5-you cannot take that away from him or his co-workers. Congratulations.

I'm not convinced it's a sizable improvement over the Mark V (which I own). According to the Keyboard mag video interview the major action and tonebar components are 100% swappable between the Mark V and VII. The original Rhodes company put a lot of R&D into the Mark V and it makes sense the new company would leverage that work. I just don't think the Mark VII is going to play or sound much different than a Mark V and the few Mark VIIs I've played at NAMM don't.

I have been most interested in the MIDI-ed Mark VII, which still does not seem to be available. At the audiomidi.com site you can't order a MIDI version.

Also, while I think the Mark VIIs are nicer looking than any of the previous models, the design also makes them less portable. Rhodes were always designed built into the case. You have handles, a cover and places for the pedal and legs. This continued through the Mark V. When I was younger I always carried and setup my Rhodes by myself. Even at age 55 I can lift my Mark V in/out of my van and setup it up without assistance. The Mark VII is quite different. There are no handles on the body so it really doesn't seem practical that one person can get a handle on this thing to get it up on the stand. Also, there is now a need for a travel case and a road case is going to be huge and heavy. The Mark VII is speced at (approximately) 85 lbs. The Mark V is 100 lbs but that is in the case. It's a minor difference in weight really. I don't like to rely on others when dealing with my equipment. If help is available, great, but I don't want to have to depend on it.

I am not overly negative about the Mark VII in general. I just think, after all is said and done, it's not all that great of an improvement over what I already own.

Busch.

Yes, you´re right IMO. I also don´t see any real improvement of a Mk7 over a Mk V,- except MIDI.

Listening to all the examples @youtube, the MK V is the winner for me.

There´s also an example of a MkI 73 stage which statisfies me more than all the other examples.

In fact, my 1st Fender Rhodes Mk1 stage 73 from 1972 was my most beloved Rhodes Piano ever and I adjusted it to my taste myself as well as a piano builder optimized the action for me.

Now, I hoped for a new MkV w/ MIDI and called MK7, but I think it isn´t.

If I´m looking at the design of a MkV,- it´s perfect.

It looks much better than the new MK7 and it´s absolutely the better construction for the road.

A.C.

Improvement? Have you guys seen the videos illustrating how flimsy the outer housing and panels are? Its absurd.

I wish i could find the video of the guy pushing on the panel thats above the keybed, with his finger he easily bends the thing over an inch. For 6k or whatever it is, that's unacceptable for something I would ever purchase

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

My personal opinion is that JB should make a more roadworthy version with a roughly textured surface, a proper top and with handles.. the way the Mk7 is now it requires a flightcase or is strictly a studio keyboard. The idea that you can put this into a gig bag and transport it doesn't fly with me...

I would really love this rhodes if it was in a more vintage looking format with inbuilt case...

It did play fantastically though with great dynamics... part of the charm of the old rhodes is its flabby action... the new rhodes is somewhat similar to the Roland GX action... but overtime I think most people would learn to love the new action... if you listen to Chick Corea play a MkV it doesn't seem to play like the Mk1 he played in 1972... seems a bit more nimble at the expense of funkiness..

Improvement? Have you guys seen the videos illustrating how flimsy the outer housing and panels are? Its absurd.

I wish i could find the video of the guy pushing on the panel thats above the keybed, with his finger he easily bends the thing over an inch. For 6k or whatever it is, that's unacceptable for something I would ever purchase

Yep, I´ve seen that vid too somewhere.

The enclosure might be some sort of attractive design to some people, but all the rounded edges and no handles is a bad design for me.

I needed flightcases ever for my gear, also for my Rhodeses from the past, but I wonder how to get this instrument in and out of the ATA case they offer.

This instrument is just only for the home or studio.

B.t.w.,- most vintage instruments lovers I spoke to, prefer the look of the old Rhodes pianos and don´t like the new appearence.

A.C.

Hmm, well now you guys are helping cure my GAS which is good because I couldn't afford it anyway. If it's not road-worthy, it's not useful to me. As heavy and unruly as my Mk1 is, at least it packs up nice and solid. OTOH, it requires so much maintenance that I stopped gigging with it.

I still really want to try one of these things, though.

As for the video, even more memorable for me than the flimsy front panel was the racket those keys made. That at least doesn't seem as much in evidence in Neil's more recent video, so hopefully that was an aberration. If so, however, that would make it the second reported incident of a new mk VII seemingly arriving at its purchaser's home in an unacceptable condition.

I do agree that the restyling and redesign of the case has made this a less practical proposition as a road instrument. But I suspect most will be bought to live in studios, as there are far fewer of us who want to haul 85lb around today for one sound.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

As for the video, even more memorable for me than the flimsy front panel was the racket those keys made. That at least doesn't seem as much in evidence in Neil's more recent video, so hopefully that was an aberration. If so, however, that would make it the second reported incident of a new mk VII seemingly arriving at its purchaser's home in an unacceptable condition.

Yep the problem with that video (it was on the rhodes facebook page IIRC) was that the felt was not correctly situated according to rhodes friends I talked with at the show... but the rhodes I tried was real quiet... seems like it was just an anomaly...

• 4 years later...
Well I'm 2 years into owning a mark 7 73AM in road touch black and I'm loving it. The clarity of tone it produces now that I've set the dampers and voicing to my liking is pretty much unrivalled in any other Rhodes. I like the fact it doesn't sound like my '72 suitcase. it's got its own unique personality. I swapped out the hammer tips for custom ranges and it barks like a dog too. My only concern is with the case design which looks great but for moving the piano it's not ideal as there are no handles and as it's wider to accommodate the side mounted jacks and midi stuff. I'm currently thinking of rehousing it into something more like an old Rhodes case but constructed from astroboard to save weight.

Chief Product Officer at Rhodes®. Project leader and designer of the Rhodes MK8 piano and V8 Plug-in.  

Archived