Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

ideas for a lightweight digital piano/organ

KL2012

Hi, I currently have a Yam. S90ES for fun (I am not a pro) but have found that for informal jam sessions with friends, I'm usually left out since I never want to tote it anywhere (~60lb, hard to cram into my civic). It's about making music with friends and getting better, which doesn't happen if you can't bring your instrument with you!

I'd like to get something that isn't too expensive (1500?), is of high quality, has the graded action, and has a similar palette of sounds as the S90ES. Maybe 35 lb max? Actually I think the bulky size of the S90ES is more of a deterrent for travel for me than the weight. I guess it doesn't have to be 88 key? what do you think are my options? and say I could be persuaded to spend more :)

I am also wondering about an amp/monitor combo, though for the short term I know there is usually something to plug into when I go to my friends'. I'm out of the loop when it comes to new keyboards, so thanks for any suggestions!

I should add that I am most interested in learning jazz, but I am not married to anything. I am a lover of rhythm and melody of all kinds

Kenny

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You'll have to spend a bit more than $1500 but it would be well worth it. For good piano and very good organ, try the new Nord Electro 3 (61 key about $1800, 73 key about $2100). VERY compact and light weight, 15 & 18 lbs I believe.

Yep, that's the ticket....

Yamaha C2, Yamaha MODX7, Hammond SK1, Hammond XK-5 Heritage Pro System, Korg Kronos 2 61, Yamaha CP4, Kurzweil PC4-7, Nord Stage 3 73, Nord Wave 2, QSC 8.2, Motion Sound KP 210S,  Key Largo, etc…yeah I have too much…

If the $1500 is firm you can still get a Nord Electro 2. Stores in my area still have them. This will more than fill the bill at around 1300. Since the NE3 is out now, you might even run into deal on the 2 and have enough left over for a powered speaker to run it through. Good luck.

try the new Nord Electro 3

He said he wants graded action, so this is not a good suggestion.

Sell the S90ES and get an S70XS?

Redundant, and it won't help that much with length and weight.

[font:Comic Sans MS]privia[/font]

+1 on the Casio Privia. The new PX-330 has started shipping. Shorter than the S90ES; lightweight (25 pounds); solid piano and organ sounds for jamming; easy on the wallet ($700), so he'll have enough left over for amplification.

PX-330

I just picked up a GEM PRP700.

Discontinued, weak organ sounds... not a good suggestion.

I'm an organ player and I wouldn't classify the organ sounds as weak. It's definitely not in the nord/hammond range but definitely usable in a pinch.

I've never been totally convinced by the Privia/Yamaha organ samples to use them for long stretches of time.

www.brianho.net

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/brianho

www.youtube.com/brianhojazz

I'm an organ player and I wouldn't classify the organ sounds as weak. It's definitely not in the nord/hammond range but definitely usable in a pinch.

I've never been totally convinced by the Privia/Yamaha organ samples to use them for long stretches of time.

If he's just jamming, I think they'd be fine.

Hmm you know I've always sort of wanted to get into organ playing, and I suppose not having the weighted action would be ok for piano jamming. It would turn me onto new styles of music. The other thing is I'd like to be able to carry onto an airplane, which means it should try to be as small as possible, so an Electro 3 61 would probably be a good choice

thanks for the ideas!

Of course, you could trigger the Electro with any MIDI keyboard, and you might like the Electro pianos triggered by a weighted action 88. See this thread for some more info.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

tony unfortunately the S90ES is actually 22.5kg or 49.6 lb. With the gator softish case I use it's probably more than 70. for a newbie like myself, it's been a huge deterrent to get out and play with people. Maybe I'm just making excuses but I'm about to solve that problem to find out ;)

I notice he's deleted it from his sig, but it is an axiom of Tony's that "you don't get tone on a diet". Having tried solo piano gigs with a Stage for a while, I've reluctantly come to pretty much the same conclusion. I've never been over impressed with the Privias, so I'd also be pointing you at something like a Yamaha CP33 (or maybe a used P80 or P90 from the same manufacturer).

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

I thought the Roland RD-300GX was OK. I hate wall-wart power supplies, but the board is pretty light.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

The Electro obviously is NOT weighted.
I'd call it semi-weighted. It's certainly not what I'd call unweighted.

I don't see the necessity for graded action. Individual pianos very so much. If you can play real pianos and accustomize yourself to them, you should be able to play an ungraded action just fine. It's still better than the action on an upright, for goodness sake.

I agree with the Privia suggestion above. E.g., CDP-100, 110, or 120. If you watch Craig's list, you can find them as low as 250 (though not for long). And if you don't like it, you can get rid of it in a day for $250, so the risk is negligible.

Yup, it's not the greatest piano, but it's incredibly better than anything we had, at any price, 15 years ago.

Or a Nord Electro (and just give up the "need" for graded action: play the instrument you're playing, not the one you wished you had).

I recommend against a 61-key piano, if you're a piano player and used to 88 keys. 76 or 73 is doable, but it's an adjustment. With 61, it's a real drag.

this is probably going to seem as though I didn't think this through at first. I have a vacation coming up so I was being impulsive about the 61-key, but as I've been playing the last few days, the passion is returning!

I have a fireface400. I got sucked into work life and never got around to learning to use it. I have found that I can use it to sequence the drum kits on the S90ES! Going to start there and see where it takes me :) early on, the tedious nature of using cubase to create drum tracks from scratch was a major discouragement for me, so this is a happy discovery!

I still like the electro 3 because it is small, sounds great, I'll probably not outgrow it any time soon, and in a case, it will be less than the airline's max 65 linear inches before they slap you with $100 oversized baggage fees (each way, ouch!)

Archived