Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Privia PX-320/330

JohnDoe

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FYI, there's a rave review of the PX-330 in the October issue of Keyboard (Hornsby on the cover).

Yes! Keyboard Magazine gave the PX-330 a KeyBuy award!!!

Thank you Keyboard Magazine!

-Mike Martin

Casio America, Inc.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

I'm considering using a Privia with my laptop. I would want to use the Privia's piano, and the laptop for NIB4, my Rhodes soundfont, and a few others.

The PX-330 has dedicated buttons for sounds, also has both MIDI I/O and USB MIDI.
Can these buttons be programmed to set the keyboard in local-off, sending on a specified MIDI channel? If so, which other Privias have this ability? And does it include split points and/or layering?

Thanks!

BTW, Mike, if Casio wants to use my jRhodes3 soundfont in their products, I'm sure we could work something out ... like, in exchange for a 330? ;)

I may be doing a new round of sampling, as well, and my offer would extend to that set.

Pro, why would a decent rhodes patch make it more expensive? What does it really take to put a little better ep on it..Im not saying put killer b3's, symphonic strgs, etc...but if your doing jazz or dare I say jazzy gigs, u need the rhodes as much as u need a good piano...or almost as much...
Memory is limited. Allocating more memory to one sound subtracts from what's available for the others. I agree with Pro about Casio's priorities being in the right order: piano first!

But I sure would like to hear a better Rhodes from it. My smallest Rhodes set is 12MB of samples. It could be reduced if necessary, maybe by as much as half, without too terrible a sacrifice. Still, that's not chump change on a board like this.

As memory gets cheaper, this becomes less of an issue. Thank goodness!

hi guys

bought a PX 330 yesterday here in Aussie..

cant answer your question directly as I am a guy who plays with what he has got tone wise and looks at the keyboard as a package as a whole..I am so far happy with what I feel and hear, but have only played briefly on it

but maybe you may like an initial feeling from it from a new buyer.even though slightly off topic to the tone.

our list is well over $1500 AU so guys in America have it lucky...of coarse I got a deal, you dont play and buy for 30 years or more and not knock them down .but when you guys talk about price you make me wince when you say something is too dear over in america..

anyway I directly replace my wonderful PX 300 [for what it does in its lightweight package] that made me rave about privias on here years ago..

havent got into it much yet but it sounds great and plays beautifully,sure that doesnt tell you much but I am happy so far..and the most important thing with casios is you know that the keys will all have matching velocities...non of that crap I experienced with a M Audio keystation.

off topic a bit but the registrations will come in handy , love the pitch wheel, would love a modulation button [like the original WK 1500 had, the keyboard that really started the WK to privia range, ie longer keyboard in reduced ligthweight body with GM sounds that set a benchmark step up at the time for casio sounds, believe it or not, i bought that keyboard purely for busking and parties and is still serving duty as my nieces keyboard]

so far impressed, bought this now as have new trio I tried out for last week, get to jam with the double bassist this week so looks like the PX 330 will be a nice step up [have been off the gigging trail for seven years due to health,hence a new piano is fitting, mind you the px 300 still did a lot of non payed gigs, stand ups,partys,songwriting nites, etc, even went caMPING WITH me running it off the cars 12 volt battery,and I intend to make a loom to run this privia off the car battery too.

just buy one...you know you want to

ps[still off topic but so you know I am not new to keyboards]I presently own probably around 20 vintage, classic or just old keyboards, including 2 masterkeyboards,and now 3 digital pianos, owned more keyboards over more than 30 years playing than your average player, so I have owned many boards including still owning a roland A80..and I can tell you the privias feel great..I also own a yammy baby grand , passed down to me from my father of which I was lucky to treat as my own..At my yammy baby grand I feel comfortable as if the piano was made for me,when i play a privia I feel very comfortable too [not as comfortable as my baby grand]...and thaT comfortable FEEling is my criteria for a keybed. ..why not?

sure when I bought my original px 300 i thought the Roland RD 700sx felt better, but not enough to carry its heavy weight .

hope this may be useful...still my criteria will not be everyones cup of tea

excuse my ramblings..it's 12 o clock at night and we are just finishing a hectic "long" weekend...but I just had to pass on my new toy news, or did I just pass "gas"

So u like it aey?

This thread continues....My fp3's action totally went south this past week..I had some notes repaired about a year ago, tech is very good, he mentioned that it would only be a matter of time b4 this would happen....he could rebuild it, that would be around 200 bux..so, think I may go out this week n try a comparison between this casio and a few others....Do I want to spend 200plus on a board that is roughly 7 years old????

Just got to play one in a store, and was highly unimpressed with the piano sound. I thought it sounded worse than my PX-310. However, I think the problem might be the built-in speakers (which is all I got to hear it through) rather than the sound itself. I plan to go back later in the week and try it through headphones, which I didn't have the opportunity to do yesterday.

I got to try a Kawai w/built ins at a church gig recently...theyre not mentioned often, but w/the addition of a small moniter, I really liked it..action was cool, sounded nice in a quartet setting...but its heavy...Im on my way to try an RD300 and the casio..I know, dont say it...

like AUSSIEKEYS, I also upgraded from my well liked Px300 to the PX 330. First impressions are, love at first byte! nice sound, & options. Importing ancient PG music MIDI tracks with Henry Butler and Jon Cleary playing in a New Orleans style sounded awesome. Casio should be applauded for forcing me to my online dictionary to figure out the 15 alternate tunings that breath life into the new ethnic sounds included on this keyboard. Hope they expand on this in future Privia generations with Balinese scales, gamelan tuning, and perhaps Zawinul's inverted keyboard.

cons: Wish they had not stripped all the velocity off the new harpsichord voice. No explanation of alt tunings and which instruments they might apply to. No melodica or new accordion sounds.

Great lightweight keyboard

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench; a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. ............ There's also a negative side"

I got to play one yesterday along with the PX-320. I brought my headphones along to isolate them from the environment. The 330 is a lot smoother, espceially between C4 and G5. It's a better piano. There are fewer notes covered by single multisamples too. On the 320 a single multisample will sometimes be stretched as far as five semitones. I didn't detect anything like that on the 330.

They both have similar character though. In places the notes die quickly from their initial attack phase. These are not singing pianos.

The actions felt pretty much the same on both but the 320 was higher and at a different angle so it was really impossible to judge. That throws all objective comparison of action off.

This was a very quick audition so these are just initial impressions. I wish I'd had more time.

I did a quick run through of PX-330 at GC yesterday. I could detect NO velocity jumps on the main acoustic piano WHICH IS VERY NICE. I can't comment much on the sound as I was only hearing the on-board speakers, but I've got to think if you just need acoustic piano, the weight, action and linear responsive of the sound would have to make the PX-330 a top contender on anyone's list.

Busch.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing they have still not "fixed" in this series... When you split the keyboard, any new patch you select alters the lower half of the split. In live performance, if you need to call up a new sound in the middle of a song, you generally want the left hand sound to remain constant while you change the right hand sound, so it's backwards. I wrote to them about it once, I did get a nice thank you note for my comment, but I guess that's all I'm getting! I also wish you could set the upper and lower sections of a split to transmit on different MIDI channels, and I wish I could pan the upper and lower sections so that the lower sound came out of the left output and the upper sound came out of the right. These are all changes that don't require any new hardware, it's just in the programming.

The PX-330 is nice, I'm still checking it out... but from what I can tell so far, at least a couple of the sounds I use are not nearly as nice as they were in my old PX-500L... the Rhodes sound and the honky tonk piano sound. The Rhodes sound is actually pretty much identical on gentle strikes, but the hard strike variation when you slam the keys is much more authentic on the old Privia. And the honky tonk piano is much more noticeably (and realistically) detuned in the old one.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

One thing they have still not "fixed" in this series... When you split the keyboard, any new patch you select alters the lower half of the split. In live performance, if you need to call up a new sound in the middle of a song, you generally want the left hand sound to remain constant while you change the right hand sound, so it's backwards.

You're kidding. Really? Even in the PX-330? Is Mike Martin here? Mike! Can you get them to fix this?

• 2 months later...

A question for any PX-330 users: Is there a setting to allow onboard volume control of an external sound source being played through the instrument's speakers? I see only one volume knob like the previous generation.

..I guess what I'm asking is, will the volume knob transmit midi control with the keyboard set to local-off.?

Thanks!

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

• 3 weeks later...

hi gangsu

just got back from holidays and saw your older question

I have not yet come across such a setting and obviously from the panel it's not possible nor do I think its possible in a audio controlling sense...ie an extra volume knob.

I myself sometimes run a separate module thru the line ins via audio not midi, but volume is controlled on the module/midifile player itself just using the casio as a junction box for audio cables and sending them out thru the casios outputs thus sending both the audio of the casio and the module out the casios line outs.

this is what i did on Px 300 constantly, have only done this once on the 330 as i use it now in a band situation not a midi file situation.ie I ran my midi file player thru the audios to save carrying a mixer.

your other question is now different from your first because the volume knob you refer to on the casio is an Audio volume knob not midi volume knob [at least I see it as an Audio knob..I dont recall any association on screen that would lead me to believe it works on the midi volume].And hence I can not see it controlling a modules volume via midi.

will be playing a party tommorrow for Australia Day celebrations a solo pianoman gig mostly keyboard and vocal but using some midi file backings so will get to use the 330 in my previous context...as by coincidence I read your question today I will take a closer look inside the midi specs of the casio for you...but at this stage I have not seen any evidence of much controlling duties on the casios...

hoping I can help with some more info...

Ps I still love this keyboard after three gigs, one being NYE where it got a good workout..

I think any controller like duties should be relegated to the module you use...count the keybord as purely the keyboard...the controller module you use should be readily accessible to its volume control, its programm changes ..in other words it needs to be in easy reach of the keyboard..

internally there are registration setups which are helpful in using onboard setups, but I cant see yet their usefulness in controlling midi as I believe from my quick delving that unless you are in the general midi sound section that programm changes will not be useful to us or implemented at all....even in the general midi section [the last sound block] there are more sounds than "general midi 1" so not sure of its implementation as I am not conversant with "general midi 2" protocol...I will try when I can.

for example I would use a module like the quadrasynth module [s4 etc]...it has 16 midi channels that can control internal sounds and externl module sounds..not only is it a synth its actually a very powerful controlling module...like a controller keyboard with out the keyboard.or any similar module.

i feel I may be a little confusng above with my explanation...what it boils down to is I feel I will be using an external note separator [read Akai note separator or a module such as S4 Alesis quadrasynth as my controlling surface and the keyboard for midi on/off velocity information..

At this stage it is great in my current band situation , but I am already thinking how I should fatten up the non piano sounds with overlays./splits etc.

Hey thanks, AussieKeys. No midi volume control on the Privia pianos. I also asked Mike Martin the same question (in not so many words) and he was kind enough to respond.

I understand using the keyboard as a "junction box". I would do the same thing. I'm not sure what a "note separator" is .. but that's ok. I only figure out as much as I have to, one day at a time. :)

Have a good holiday gig tomorrow! Sounds like fun.

hi gangsu

yea a note separator is simply Akai's name for a controller box...simply they took the guts out of their MX73 controller keyboard [4 zones] simplified it a bit,

most upmarket modules now have one incorporated in them as their midi 16 zone control section..usually meaning split/layering 16 zones internally and/or externally thus becoming the guts of a controller keyboard.

Got it. sounds like you've got every possible situation covered with a 'note separator'. Renders the shortcomings of any keyboard insignificant. Nice! Everybody should have one.

exactly

mind you casio has the guts of a controller keyboard in their old AZ1 sling on keyboard [keytar to the children], I proudly have one from new,..and it even has aftertouch..it was as good as any of the big manufacturers of the time..i thought far better.So did Thomas Dolby.

I have been advocating for a long time Casio taking the guts of their AZ1 and expanding its functions [so no one simply thinks they copied a current design..it woud be pure Casio technology]...putting it into a keyboard either as a controller keyboard or simply adding these functions to an existing privia design...the 330 with its pitch wheel is just right for the addition of the AZ 1 's guts...

I imagine adding it to the 330 would be mostly software implementation, with some buttons serving double duty, so I doubt there is much hardware except a dedicated midi imput slider which can double as any function.Even without that it could probably be implemented withoutany additional switches as a compromise on modulation switch/slider..some compromises for no extra cost I reckon..the software exists years ago, I believe its cost is already bourne if it is a software implementation

soorry for too many thoughts.

Don't apologize! No doubt you're right, the "parts are already there".

Have you ever seen this before?

http://www.casio-europe.com/euro/images/corporate/detail/1954_2.jpg

It's called a Yubiwa Pipe . Invented by a kid who admired Edison. I can get behind a company like that. :)

It's called a Yubiwa Pipe . Invented by a kid who admired Edison. I can get behind a company like that. :)

that is truely an amazing story..thanks for that...although casio has been oft laughed at for keyboards, I knew when its early pro stuff was offered that they one day would be a force to be reckoned with...their early synths were certainly showing potential, and when they introduced a very good sling on,ie.. "keytar" AZ1..I knew that there would be things to come...slower than I expected though...their next step that got me was the introduction of the WK1500 keyboard..76 keys, slim lightweight design, i bought one for parties and busking duties..I believe it was this instrument that heralded the Privia line, it certainly was the start of the WK line, but its slim, long keyboard with many functions and GM sounds was to me the beginning of what was to become Privias. And people are certainly accepting Privias as good usable gear.

• 1 month later...
And finally, here's a repost of a demo I did with the PX-320. This is a SMF/GM sequence I created of the song "Soulful Strut" which is being played in real time using the PX-320 sequencer with live playing on the piano over it. Enjoy.

Nice. :thu: I enjoyed that.

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

• 2 weeks later...

hi B3 er,

if anyone cant get a hardcase and you are not using roadies or truck [although by your previous posts B3er I know you will probably require a hard case, but this may be informative to others] , the original casio softcase is very strong,

I am using it for self lugging, but i woud not use it if its to be loaded into trucks or lugged by roadies , it still means being careful when not in your control,,,

but it is amazingly stong, and unlike what you'd expect from a once home orientated company...definately the version I have is very good, it is not sponge supported but if you needed this i believe it could even be accomodated within its confines, case fits all privias, and has extra room for pedal and power pac, also music stand can be accomodated, eliminate these and i reckon you could add sponge if wanted. and yet it is still extremely streamlined,

But cant beat a case for roady or truck work.

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know if the PX-320's registration selects can be controlled via external MIDI commands? I've got a footswitch that I want to use to change registrations, but the PX-320 MIDI implimentation manual says nothing about it. The footswitch has registration presets, but I was hoping I could select the ones from the keyboard.

Thanks!

Jason

While I'm asking questions about MIDI implementation on the PX-320...

I am unable to simply plug an external controller into the MIDI IN port of the keyboard and expect it to change the patches/expression that I send to it externally. It seems that the way the internal sound module interfaces with the physical keyboard is that the keyboard has its own set of controller messages internally and ignores how you set them from an external source. However...

If I turn local control off, merge the external controller messages with the MIDI OUT from the keyboard, and feed that back into the MIDI IN on the keyboard, it works just like the controllers were integrated into the PX-320. I've got Volume and Expression pedals that control the keyboard nicely, and I can change patches from my external controller.

So now, I want to add another device into the mix and use the same external controller for THAT along with the setup I just described. The problem is that the PX-320 appears to be stuck in an OMNI ON mode, so that note messages from the external controller intended for the second device still get interpreted by the PX-320 as percussion notes because they are sent on channel 10. The MIDI implementation guide shows that there is a OMNI OFF command (controller change 124), but it doesn't appear to do anything. It would also be nice to be able to shut off individual MIDI channels for muting different voices during MIDI file playback.

Has anyone else tried to do something like this and found solutions to these problems, or am I just trying to get the PX-320 to do something beyond its capability?

Archived