Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

blew my Eon G2s, need advice

hardbop200

Hey everyone,

For the past year I've been using a pair of Eon G2 (10" version) powered speakers for my jazz/lounge gigs, and this has worked out great. However, I've been playing with a soul/R&B outfit for the past couple of months, and the Eons just aren't cutting it. The 10" speakers can't handle the low-end of my organ patches without "farting out" constantly, and last weekend I finally blew one of the tweeters (the other one is not too far behind it, I'm afraid). Finally, the front of the speaker enclosures are getting really HOT, which also makes me think I'm pushing them way to hard. Long story short, I need something louder and beefier.

(FYI, we play in bars, with little-to-no PA support. So all of my sound reinforcement must come from the stage; given the size of the rooms we play, this is just fine.)

I've been searching the forums and have seen all of the recommendations. For my budget, the Accugroves are out, and it seems that I'll be buying a combo amp. Stereo is a must, which gets me to the Traynor K4 or the Motion Sound KP series of amps. I'm a little worried, however - the woofer on that K4 is really small, and I'm afraid that it won't be much improvement over the Eons I've been using. I have absolutely no experience with the Motion Sound amps. Does anyone have any advice or comments on this? I would *love* to have a pair of the QSC K2s, but I'm afraid that I just can't make that happen. However, a K4 + a sub would probably be just as much, so maybe I'm just screwed. :)

Anyway, I'm open to any ideas or thoughts you might have! Thank you!

Josh

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I'd stay stereo and also stay away from dedicated keyboard amps.

It sounds like budget is the main constraint here. Isn't it with most of us though?

Anyway the most bang for your buck would be to go passive instead of active, and scour your local Craigslist daily for your speakers.

My current cabs for high SPL gigs are a pair of Yorkville EF-508 passives that I scored off CL for $525. And believe me these babies will keep up with anything a band throws at me with cleanliness and low end authority. And then some.

Or...

Hire a guy to bring his PA and run sound for the band. Give him a cut of the revenue for every gig. Run you keys through the PA and use in-ear monitors.

Novel? Perhaps. But by having a sound guy to control the overall volume, balance, etc., the band is going to sound a lot better. Plus, you won't have to spend money on a crappy keyboard amp.

Ask BluesKeys about this. It's how he gigs with one of his bands.

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

You should try a pair of the G2 EON 15's....much more power than the 10's. I use two for my gigs, either my solo act or with a band, and always have plenty of power. If the 15's can't cut thru for club gigs you and/or your band is playing way too loud. The EON G2 15's are affordable...check out Craigs List and Ebay for prices.

Archived