Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Another example of how good the XK3 can sound..

Jim Alfredson

Last night was the first practice with the XK-3c. Overall the sound was great. Very organic and lush. Really filled up the room. However, I was having a bit of trouble cutting through. Previously I used the NE2 and the nord's organ tone has a bit more (and with the higher notes a LOT more) of an edge or shrillness to it that really cuts, even if it's not as pleasant a tone (to my ear).

So, like any new gear, it's just gonna take some time to get things dialed in.

I should probably start with getting the drummer to play quieter. ha ha ha. as if.

What are you playing it through? What preamp settings are you using? Try having the lows go through the AX and the highs through the AU. Find old 50's/60's era tubes to replace the EH tubes it came with. The old tubes have a more full tone (IMO-YMMV yada yada yada). Also, try a 12AY7 in place of the AU7. The tone control adjustment is similar to that in a B3 in that it curves the frequencies above 1kHz down - the higher the freq. the more it is pulled down. If you want shrill, it can be used in the opposite direction as well on the '3c so that the higher the freq. the more it is boosted unlike the treble EQ adjustment that raises all freq. in its range pretty much equally. Maybe it will just take you a little while to get used to what a real Hammond sounds like. ;):thu:

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the old organs you did not want to hear anything above 5 kHz. That is why leslies used cheap crappy horn drivers. For more power handling we would used an Atlas horn driver that was designed for those outdoor metal public address horns. It was probably only good up to 4 kHz or less.

A good high frequency driver would sound awlful because to would let you hear things that were never meant to be heard. :D

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I've played there a few times, but not real recently. I live just down the road in Louisville, so every so often I get called for a gig up there. I think the last time I was there was almost a year ago now, with a sax player from my neck of the woods named Tim Whalen. I guess it didn't cross my mind, but I'll let you know the next time I'm up there.

I've played there a few times, but not real recently. I live just down the road in Louisville, so every so often I get called for a gig up there. I think the last time I was there was almost a year ago now, with a sax player from my neck of the woods named Tim Whalen. I guess it didn't cross my mind, but I'll let you know the next time I'm up there.
Get down. For some reason I had it in my mind you were out east, maybe Boston. Definitely let me know if you're coming up...
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Archived