Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Another example of how good the XK3 can sound..

Jim Alfredson

The rig: XK3 / XK System, Leslie 3300, Yamaha Motif ES, Moog Voyager (not used in this clip) Yorkville Pulse powered sub, & Yorkville NX55P (for the Motif & Voyager).

Not the best sound quality (just a camera mic), but you get the idea. The club had an A100 sitting in the corner. I opted to use my rig instead. :)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just posted in another thread - I was in to the local Long & MacQuade & a XK-3c was next to a new Nord Electro 3. There was no comparision, the XK-3c was way better.

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

I just posted in another thread - I was in to the local Long & MacQuade & a XK-3c was next to a new Nord Electro 3. There was no comparision, the XK-3c was way better.

How was the Wurlie, clav and Rhodes sounds on the XK?

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Through my pair of Polytone amps, the XK-3c's extra voices sound pretty good. IMO-YMMV Yada Yada Yada.

How are the Wurli, Clav, and Rhodes sounds on a B3? ;)

But seriously, that's what the Motif rack is for. Yes, it's another piece of gear but then you have piano, strings, pads, horns, analog-esque leads, etc.

Jim, you guys sound sweet. You gotta come all the way into New England next time. Are you running any B3 into that sub, or is that all 3300?

Yes, I run the sub output of the 3300 into the Yorkville powered sub. That's what I haul it around for. Since the cabinet is smaller, the 3300 lacks a bit in the bass department. Then again, it actually depends on the room, much like any other Leslie. In some rooms I barely need the sub and only for the very lowest notes of the pedals. In other rooms, the bass totally disappears so the sub is mandatory.

The current sub I have is total overkill. I want to try one of the LS200P Yorkvilles. 200 watts with a single 10" speaker. That would probably be plenty and a lot smaller / lighter.

When it comes to Leslies, bass is a tough beast to tame. My dream Hammond bass sound is the one from the Jimmy Smith record "The Further Adventures of Jimmy and Wes". On vinyl! :) You listen to that record and the bass pedals are so defined and beautiful sounding. I've never been able to get that sound on a consistent basis with a regular 122. With the 3300 and a sub, its there every night. The pedals sound HUGE! :)

I was only interested in the Hammond sound. Compared to the XK-3c the Nord sounded like Hammond light.

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

+1 I think it's a mistake to expect anything but a primo hammond sound from the XK3/XK3c. Nobody buys those instruments because of some add on ep's; at least I didn't. I was/am only interested in the Hammond sound myself.
"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

Jim forgot to add that he's never even tried the A-105 in the corner....

I will add that as much as I love my XK-3c, that particular A-105 sounds very special to me. It has a vibe that is just plain missing from the clones. I can't say that about most tonewheel Hammonds, but every now and then one just has that sound that resonates with you. No, it's not my Hammond either...

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

True I haven't tried it. But after going back to my tube 122 for a few gigs about two weeks ago, I'm pretty sure I would not be satisfied. The clarity, definition, and headroom from the XK3 / 3300 combo is a thing of true beauty (and power!)

I'm sure the A105 sounds great and if I was playing with a more straight-ahead organ trio thing, I'd be more than happy. But for organissimo I need my solid, clean, defined bass and the MIDI capabilities so I can layer in parts (like the EP from the Motif you hear at the end of that clip).

I should mention I played a nice A105 in Detroit the other week for a "jam session" gig. I delivered the organ myself to the club a few months ago; it's a great sounding organ, but I still missed the XK. I'm telling you... the headroom alone from the XK / 3300 is something to be experienced.

I was running the rig at about half volume in that clip. :)

I was only interested in the Hammond sound. Compared to the XK-3c the Nord sounded like Hammond light.

I was making a joke but honestly, you can't make an apples to apples compare of either board. Yes, the Hammond might make a more realistic console sound, but it can't do the other things the E3 can do. Some people are willing to trade off and have "Hammond lite" to get the other sounds.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Yeah, I have contracted the GAS too, man. In fact I'm going to be calling my guy at Sweetwater later today to see what he can do on a XK-3c and the expression pedal. My skills aren't worthy of such a rig, of course, but I figure they can use all the help they can get! Next year maybe I can afford the 3300. :)

I'll be one of the guys with a Electro and a XK-3c...best of all worlds!

So, what is an adequate case for this beauty? I'll be doing all the handling, so it doesn't need to be airline safe.

I'm one of those guys with the best of both worlds. I do my own equipment handling too. For the Electro I found that just a good zippered bag works well. I have one for a Yamaha S09 that fits perfectly. For the Hammond I use a Unitec case. For a while, Goff Professional used to provide these free with the XK3. Since Unitec is manufacured near here they are fairly easy to get so I just got the organ at BB Organ for a better price and got the case locally. I've had it for about 5 years now and no complaints. It's not ATA but it doesn't need to be. Good luck with your new rig. I think you'll like it.

Got the XK-3C yesterday. Went with Sweetwater. The thing is a monster! It just roars. My NE2 is afraid of it :) And wow, I was unprepared for how beautiful it is aesthetically.

The only bummer is that there's a dent in the metal base of it, right under the manual keys, a bout an octave above where the presets end....doesn't affect anything but looks. Not sure what to do about it other than email my sweetwater dude and see what he says.

Got the Hammond expression pedal (need to figure out a way to stabilize it for using the leslie trigger) and an skb hard case.

Can't wait for band practice tonight!

Cheers!

.....Got the Hammond expression pedal (need to figure out a way to stabilize it for using the leslie trigger) and an skb hard case.

Just keep playing with it. I think EXP-100F should be heavy enough. You will get a feel for how to use the kick switch .... or at least I did. I think what happens is my foot slides up maintaining heel pressure closer to the fulcrum point on the pedal as the side of my foot touches the kick switch. I am not sure though, I just do stuff.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Last night was the first practice with the XK-3c. Overall the sound was great. Very organic and lush. Really filled up the room. However, I was having a bit of trouble cutting through. Previously I used the NE2 and the nord's organ tone has a bit more (and with the higher notes a LOT more) of an edge or shrillness to it that really cuts, even if it's not as pleasant a tone (to my ear).

So, like any new gear, it's just gonna take some time to get things dialed in.

I should probably start with getting the drummer to play quieter. ha ha ha. as if.

All this talk about organs/pianos...I gotta post Rob. Everyone knows him out here, but maybe some of the east coast guys haven't heard him.

http://www.myspace.com/robwhitlock

WOW - thanks for sharing!

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

You might consider this excellent amp/eq from Speakeasy Vintage Music. The ama122 with the preamp will solve any "edge" or "cutting through" problems with an XK3. It's a little expensive, but you only need one and it really works. You should also consider a Motion Sound Pro3x, Pro145, Hammond-Suz 2100 set, or the 3300. Any way you cut it the XK3/XK3c is going to sound better than the Nord. I have them both and that's just my view.

speakeasy vintage music

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

So, like any new gear, it's just gonna take some time to get things dialed in.

I should probably start with getting the drummer to play quieter. ha ha ha. as if.

A drummer storms into the public library and tells the librarian: "I would like to order a hamburger, French fries, and a small root beer."

The librarian asks, "SIR! :mad:Don't you know where you are? This is a public library!"

The drummer blushes :blush: and whispers, "Sorry.... Ummmm, I would like to order a hamburger, French fries, and a small root beer."

:rimshot:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Archived