Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

QSC K12 - Review

Yeah. But... but... You could always purchase a cable with 1/4" phone plug on one end and a XLR plug on the other. :idea:

(I would've said you could purchase TWO, but since you have a reputation of running in MONO, well...) :cool:

Tom

PS The chef at the BBQ place is asking where you've been hiding. :)

I would have to get two - the HPR's only have one XLR in....

(damn you Tom, now I need to go get some Q....)

You probably noticed and checked, but the Kseries does have a mic/line input switch.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
Floyd The U15ps' are the top boxes. Their subs are offered in a folded horn design. Those puppies rumble for their size. I think the models I used were LS*** , or something like that. When combined with those tops they rocked the house. AND I've read the link for the Yorkville's a few times in the past. What stuck out after reading it again was "invented by loudspeaker designer Tom Danley." That little statement explains quite a bit. He designed and sells a small sub called the "mini" which is nothing less than spectacular. He also gives no "BS" specs on his products. So now I know why those oddball horns work so well! Thanks.
SR guy thats finally decided to put his collection of toys to personal use (extremely G.A.S.'y) LOL

• 7 months later...
The K10's are proving to be very, very pleasing. Love the size too. Almost went with the 8's but I really wanted the wedge position choice.

I wonder about why they didn't design the 8 to be able to be used that way. Maybe it was a limitation imposed by a desire to make the cabinet as small as possible. Though also, it has a very wide dispersion (105 degrees in both directions, compared to 90 on the 10s), which actually might make it problematic as a vocal stage monitor, the most common use for wedges. Wider dispersion might tend to make it more feedback prone.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Last week I gigged w/a K10 and a gx..this week I gigged w/a K12 and another brand dp....the single K10 was actually fine, I simply wanted a touch more headroom at the bottom..variety of situations, solo ( I couldnt hear myself?) was fine, more bottom than I needed actually, jazz duo kiken bass, the bass was boomin and I actually had to run it very low...outdoor blues thing, very loud..I have to agree that 1000 watts today may not be 1000 watts yesteryear, it covered ok, I had to drive it a bit and thought that it should be louder than it was..have to eq the DP (of course)but all the other sounds I used actually came across very well...compare..Ive tried live or owned a Yam msr400, K is better, RCFs, no comparison, Rolands of diff sizes, nono comarison,,EV, I liked the EV, but the built in dsp kept cutting my piano sustain short and I couldnt overide it..then theres my loB1...the loB def sounds better than anything Ive used or owned, granted, Im talking for DP or Ivory, rhodes too..all in all Im pretty happy w/the K12, but I was also happy w/the K10...nice little boxes.

• 1 year later...

Would anyone consider using some K12s as studio monitors as well as for gigging? I'm just setting myself up after moving country and considering killing 2 birds with one stone; I don't do very serious studio stuff, mostly for practicing (digital) piano and for making tunes for fun... I do however need a loud, lightweight monitor with bass extension and these seem to be what all you guys are using, should I do it?

We are all slave's to our brain chemistry!

I have a pair of EV SXA100+ (12") that I use for monitors in the shop/studio. Replaced them with K10's for gigging - easier to carry and lighter, but they do sound very good on the output of my DAW. I don't have to run them at but a fraction of their potential power, but they are nice and clean sounding.

As others mentioned, not ideal for precision mixing, but they are adequate for my purpose, I would imagine that the K12's would do well.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Archived