Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Release Date for S-90 XS

Outkaster

Not that you might care but I got a tentative release date for S-90 XS for Sept 9th. In my experience it will be later than sooner with the way these manufactuers run.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Firstly, Outkaster, I fervently hope that by the time that date rolls around, you will be in a position to indulge your GAS.

I've more or less decided to go with the 90 myself, though I'll wait to see and try them both in the flesh. I'm guessing that may be well past September though.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Aidan:

It sounds like you're working on a lot of duplication in your keyboards. Just sayin'

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I think I will be able to. I got more dates and between unemployment, severance and getting rid of gear I can do it. I will be selling a Roland SP-20, PDS-10 and a road case. Plus I have a Mint Korg T-3 with original box and manual I might get rid of. I have enough gear that I can cover what I am doing now.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Aidan:

It sounds like you're working on a lot of duplication in your keyboards. Just sayin'

Mike T.

Mike, I realise that and basically it falls either one of two ways for me - both involve the XS7 going:

1) I decide I can live with the S70XS's smaller compass (and lighter weight etc) for gigging. In which case, the Stage goes as well as the XS7, and the RD stays in the studio. This had been my original plan.

2) I decide I need to go back to an 88-note keyboard for most gigs, in which case the S90XS gets the nod and I keep the Stage for small "in-out" stuff and rehearsals. I then have two weighted 88s - in which case, reluctantly, I think the RD would have to go.

I feel as though I'd be unable to make a decision on this until I've seen both the newcomers in the flesh and sampled the actions. So there the dilemma rests for now. I should be selling the XS7 pretty soon, though, to raise part of the capital.

1) I decide I can live with the S70XS's smaller compass (and lighter weight etc) for gigging. In which case, the Stage goes as well as the XS7, and the RD stays in the studio. This had been my original plan.

2) I decide I need to go back to an 88-note keyboard for most gigs, in which case the S90XS gets the nod and I keep the Stage for small "in-out" stuff and rehearsals. I then have two weighted 88s - in which case, reluctantly, I think the RD would have to go.

As the champion of one 88-note KB, I foresee the S90XS replacing the whole kit and kaboodle. :)

However, I'm thinking the S70XS and RD700GX would make the perfect combo. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Aidan you might find the action on the S-90 XS to be a lot better than the Roland.

I think it would have to be VERY special for me to draw that conclusion, Outkaster. The Roland is the closest I've come to a real piano in a DP, action-wise at least.

But yes, ProfD, I get the feeling that I'm inevitably headed toward the direction of a single board again. I'm essentially a lazy git and part of me fears that if I keep the Stage, I'll continue using it because it's so small and convenient, even though the action and AP sounds don't inspire me.

Apart from getting the Motif soundset in a more luggable package than the XS8, though, the main draws for me are the ability to bring in backing tracks when needed and to lose the mixer for piano-vocal gigs.

by Aidan:

Apart from getting the Motif soundset in a more lugable package than the XS8, though, the main draws for me are the ability to bring in backing tracks when needed and to lose the mixer for piano-vocal gigs.

I'm wondering how comprehensive the implementation of the MIC input will be, and how easy it will be to control in a LIVE context. I hope you're right about being able to "lose the mixer". I know I could never do without my mixer setup, I have to many things plugged into it, 2 boards, an FX and EQ in my rack, and my Digitech Vocalist. Right now I'm using 6 channels on an 8 channel stereo mixer. My mixer also has XLR outs, which keeps things nice and quiet. My new Digitech Vocalist also has XLR outs, a noise gate, and is a line level device. All this adds up to a very quiet PA system, until I start to PLAY.

Aidan, you own a number of KBs. I will be interested to hear your review on the new S90XS. Outkaster, I guess you will be the first kid on your block to have one, so fill us in!

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Yep, Mike, I agree that may be the rub - although there is direct access to mic gain and reverb send, I can't see anywhere in the manuals at the moment that you can EQ the mic input separately, for example. But it may just be good enough for myself, depending on the mic. I currently use an EV ND767a, which has great top clarity but I invariably end up rolling a lot off the bottom. Outkaster, look forward to your thoughts.

Not sure if I would be using it for that application. I think some of the big box stores are only ordering a few at time at first. I bet the date gets pushed back for the release. I will let you know. I am pshcyed to get it though.

noblevibes.com

Yep, I rang a UK supplier yesterday as his web site was listing the 70 (at a significantly lower price than a few of the big operations) but not the 90. He told me that at the Yamaha launch, presumably the river trip in the Bert video, dealers had been invited to put in pre-orders to give Yamaha an idea of how many they need to build up front. He only decided to order up one 70 for stock, as in his eyes the 76-note board made it more of a "unique" proposition and so, presumably, more likely to sell.

Also the profit margins for this keyboard are slim from what I was told. They could not haggle on the price too much. From what I am seeing prices are from $2150.00 to $2300.00. They days of getting really good deals seem to be over or you know someone.

noblevibes.com

I had gotten some prices on the Motif XS series when I was checking them out. A lot of US dealers don't follow MAP prices too closely because of Internet competition, so I was surprised how far my local dealer was willing to go down on a XS7. But ultimately, it comes down to no real return on investment for the dealer or me. The dealer would stand to make a couple hundred bucks on the unit, and I'd have to live pretty long to make up the investment in any new KB based on how little I gig anymore. I also have considered that the XS is a slight upgrade over a Motif ES, but not enough to make me get GAS. A good unit for someone that doesn't have a workstation.

The S90XS seems to be a great piece for a player that does a lot of LIVE work and doesn't need a workstation. I think Yamaha is going to have a winner with this new board. :thu:

Mike T.

Because of the questions Mike's comments raised in my head about how flexible the mixing options were with the mic, I posted a PM to Athan from Yamaha, asking him whether the input could be EQ'd etc. I hope he won't mind me reposting his response here...

Yes, you can do this because you can assign two Insert effects to the Audio Input. So you could have a three band Eq and a compressor on the mic input. These input settings are storable per Performance and Multi so each song or performance can have it's own settings for the mic input with different effects, panning, and level.

While it might not address the challenges Mike has with his rather more complex mixing needs, it certainly addresses my own needs. Thanks to Athan as always for being prompt and helpful.

Aidan:

That sounds pretty flexible dude! I'm impressed. It just "could" be that Yamaha was thinking about this too!

Cheers,

Mike T.

Well, I pulled the trigger on a 90, after coming across a price significantly lower (about 500UKP) than the big UK advertisers, from a known and established source. The guy there told me they are expecting delivery last week in Sept, though realistically could be beginning of Oct. Things will be eBayed soon...!

Aidan:

You might want to list it on the For Sale Forum on this site before you put the gear on Evil Bay. I have an idea that your keys are in close to mint condition. Anyone in Euroland would be getting a great KB for a fair price.

Congrats on taking the plunge on the S90XS!

Mike T.

Well, I pulled the trigger on a 90...

If I'm not mistaken, you will be down to one KB. Here is your advanced welcome. :wave:

Of course, GAS could flare up at any time causing you to add another piece or three. :laugh:

Main thing is being comfortable in knowing that one ax will chop down any gig. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Yup, that's now the plan, although I might hold on to the Stage for a little while. I'm obviously not going to really miss the XS7 (all my recording is done in Logic). As for the RD, I will be sad to say goodbye to that but for all of its wonderful action, the sounds have rarely worked well for me in live situations. Even on solo gigs, I seemed to spend so much time EQing it and hopping from sample to sample. Maybe it's just my ears but I never had that problem with my last Yamaha DP, the CP33.

The only other downside is I'll have to get a new case for my 88, as the S90XS is half an inch bigger than my current Gator. Very few options in soft at this size, so it'll probably be back to the big Gigskinz. I did have zip issues with the previous case of that brand, but I'm hoping it was just a one-off production sample problem...

I'm aware Kaces do a suitable wheeled bag too, but they're impossible to get hold of in the UK.

If someone could produce a CASE STRETCHER, they'd be rich.

Mike T.

Also the profit margins for this keyboard are slim from what I was told. They could not haggle on the price too much. From what I am seeing prices are from $2150.00 to $2300.00. They days of getting really good deals seem to be over or you know someone.

These prices are pretty reasonable, so these boards now fall within my radar threshold.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

Sorry to bump this but the Yamaha said it will be the end of Sept now before it is released.

Yup, that chimes with what I've been told via my UK dealer...

Yeah I figured it would be pushed back. It is ok. I have a lot going on anyway so a few weeks won't make too much of a difference.

noblevibes.com

Same here, Outkaster. August is packed and September isn't much better, so not a great time to have a new toy land :) Besides, I got an XS7 to sell in the meantime. Anyone that's interested, it's on the Garage Sale thread now.

After a few days which have seen relatively tight spaces and awkward load-ins, I've rung my supplier and changed my order for the 90 to a 70. This will let me keep the RD too.

Archived