Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Release Date for S-90 XS

Outkaster

I have an S90ES and have been planning on an S90XS mostly because of the 8 elements versus 4, BUT can anyone answer this basic question (though I'm not a rookie on S90's by any means, have had them all): Are the extra 4 voice elements used for making the voice sound "better*"? Or are they mainly used for Expanded Articulation stuff, which I don't really care about, key-offs and resonance, which might be nice but not a game-changer, I'd think. *My definition of "Better" in this context means in terms of realism/thickness/clarity/accuracy. So for example a violin would sound that much more like a violin? A Moog would be that much fatter? Almost like doubling the samples or layers in a sampling environment? Or not? And if not, is it just that the voices will have more Articulation effects/key offs/resonance only? Thanks much.

Neil

myspace.com/AlteredDominant www.Prymary.com

NordElectro3/S90XS/SteinwayS(midi'd)/KX88/Apple MBP, iMac/MainStage2/Scrbee/NI Komplete/ApogeeDuet/QSCplx1804/JBLmrx512/SpcStnSRX/LogicPro9/DP/ProTools

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always been a bit fuzzy on this "elements" thing in the XS, so don't really know the answer to your question.

However, I'm a little confused by what you're seeking. Some of the attributes you mention, like clarity and accuracy, are usually not dependent on how many "elements" are present but on the quality of the original sample and its delivery through the keyboard, where things like articulation, key-off samples and resonance play a major part.

Having said that, a lot of ES owners have already commented that the difference in voices probably isn't enough for them to want to upgrade and I can certainly understand that view. Have you played a Motif XS and did you like it? Until the new S series is widely available, that's the best way of answering your own question.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

By the way, the more observant among you will have noticed that I changed my order back to a 90. Have decided I can't happily live with 76-note keyboards.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

I have an S90ES and have been planning on an S90XS mostly because of the 8 elements versus 4, BUT can anyone answer this basic question (though I'm not a rookie on S90's by any means, have had them all): Are the extra 4 voice elements used for making the voice sound "better*"?

I asked this question also. A run through the Motif XS banks showed me that the fundamental strategy is to add realism and playability as opposed to "basic sound quality." This review at SOS discusses the additional AWM resources in the section titled expanded articulation.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct07/articles/yamahamotifxs7.htm

In my view it adds some complexity to the rompler programmer's task ... but also yields some nice potential tricks. e.g. waveform switching to liven up an analog lead. Sure, you could use lfo crossfades in the old system, but this saves your lfo architecture for something else.

Cheers,

Jerry

Archived