Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Computer interface/standalone digital mixer for live app.

humannoyed

Has anyone researched which interfaces function well as standalone mixers to use in a live application? What did you decide on and why?

If someone wants to use a laptop live then rock solid performance and very low latency (if one is playing soft instruments) are the most important considerations when choosing an app, laptop and interface.

But if you decide to leave the computer at home, or don't want to be sonically crippled if the laptop glitches, you may want independent mixer capabilities. It would therefore make sense to get an interface that also works well as a standalone mixer. I like the fact that these are usually one rack space (or smaller).

There are a ton of interfaces out there, and it is hard to discern which have any, let alone the best standalone mixer features.

I think some, like the Motu are completely programmable digital mixers with dsp and.... scene/program recall through midi program change? If yes, does that function operate independently of the computer?

TIA

Day

"It is a danger to create something and risk rejection. It is a greater danger to create nothing and allow mediocrity to rule."

"You owe it to us all to get on with what you're good at." W.H. Auden

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use a MOTU UltraLite, which does indeed have full mixer capabilities. They function apart from the laptop being connected. It has DSP effects as well. The CueMix software works really well, functions as advertised, and the UI is very intuitive - and those MOTU guys have a ubiquitous ad on the back of every issue of KB that greets me from my...uh...reading throne each morning.

Here's my complaints - the ultralite is so small (1/2 rack space) and everything is controlled of a handful of little tiny knobs. The form factor makes on-the-fly changes a real bear. The few times I've used the UL as a standalone mixer (single kb jazz gig) it took me a long time to figure out how to access the correct menu functions apart from the CueMix software on the laptop (because I use it so infrequently).

The one that's getting a lotta air time over at Gearslutz is Allen & Heath ZED R16. It's a LONG thread.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-product-alert/205583-h-zed-r16-firewire-mixer.html

It's a bit overkill with the 16 channels for my purposes. I asked the rep if they ever planned on an 8 channel version and he said maybe....I wouldn't hold your breath though.

I've heard some recordings and the converters and pres sounded very good. It's meant to be a live mixer too. I was very seriously considering it but ended up getting a barely used Crane Song Spider at a great price instead.

This might be too large for your application, it's a small desk console type mixer.

I use an RME Hammerfall box w/PCMCIA interface into my laptop. It speaks Mackie, so you can have complete control over the mixing facilities if you'd prefer a control surface to the mouse. In the 3 years or so that I've had the system, it's never had a hiccup. It sounds fantastic, and just plain works.

A Fireface or Multiface and SAC. It is not going to glitch or crash,and it will run on a netbook.

I modified the post. A RayDAT won't work.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

A RayDAT and SAC. It is not going to glitch or crash,and it will run on a netbook.

...I don't know what that is?

I think the form factor of one rack space is good if one also plans to have a rack synth or two to haul with or without the laptop. Again - good backup plan if the lappy glitches.

"It is a danger to create something and risk rejection. It is a greater danger to create nothing and allow mediocrity to rule."

I use the Edirol M-16DX in my home studio. It's a two piece unit with a 1 RU module where all the connections are made and a mixer control surface with an umbilical cord between the two. It has worked very well for me as I don't have a lot a space and like to keep the connections neatly in the rack but have easy access to the control surface. It is USB 2.0 compatible. It functions 100% as a standalone digital mixer with all the knobs (level, pan, send, EQ, etc) available. You don't need to have it plugged in to the computer at all. There is also the M-10DX which is a single self contained unit.

About the only downside to the unit is that the control surface is housed in a plastic case. It has never been an issue for me but it doesn't have that rugged feel you'd find in a Mackie, for example.

It comes with a 2 meter cord, but a longer one is available. The M-16DX is now $399 street, which is about half what they sold for originally.

http://www.sweetwater.com/images/closeup/750-M16DX_angle.jpg

Note in the above photo there are two of the rack mount modules shown. You're seeing front and back. The package comes with rack ears (not shown).

Busch.

Thanks guys, I know it has probably been asked a thousand times but, is usb 2 going to be as low latency as firewire for playing soft instruments live?

Day

As I understand it, the problem with USB2 vs Firewire is not the latency, but the ability to maintain a high throughput of data. This is why FW disks are better bet for housing big piano samples that stream off the disk, such as Ivory and Akoustik Piano.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Though now out of production, I'd recommend checking out the original Digidesign "Digi002" if you can find one used. A multi-channel interface and control surface for ProTools with motorized, touch-sensitive faders. When you unplug it from the computer, it becomes an 8-channel digital mixer with effects. Reverb and delay aux FX, two external aux sends per channel, 3-band EQ per channel, a compressor on each mic channel (4 channels), and snapshot automation (i.e. can recall "scenes" of fader and other settings).

Product Sheet

C.

I use the Edirol M-16DX in my home studio. It's a two piece unit with a 1 RU module where all the connections are made and a mixer control surface with an umbilical cord between the two. It has worked very well for me as I don't have a lot a space and like to keep the connections neatly in the rack but have easy access to the control surface. It is USB 2.0 compatible. It functions 100% as a standalone digital mixer with all the knobs (level, pan, send, EQ, etc) available. You don't need to have it plugged in to the computer at all. There is also the M-10DX which is a single self contained unit.

About the only downside to the unit is that the control surface is housed in a plastic case. It has never been an issue for me but it doesn't have that rugged feel you'd find in a Mackie, for example.

It comes with a 2 meter cord, but a longer one is available. The M-16DX is now $399 street, which is about half what they sold for originally.

http://www.sweetwater.com/images/closeup/750-M16DX_angle.jpg

Note in the above photo there are two of the rack mount modules shown. You're seeing front and back. The package comes with rack ears (not shown).

Busch.

Thanks for posting this. This looked interesting enough for me to research and I ended up buying one from Nova Musik which has them sigificantly discounted right now - almost 70% off. I wanted something that was one rack space or smaller, and although this is in 2 pieces the remote should tuck in the rack behind something shallow.

I have since found out that there was a firmware upgrade to that unit last year and hope I am getting the 2.0 version. Here are some of the improvements:

EDIROL is proud to announce new v2.0 firmware for the popular M-16DX digital mixer. The Version 2.0 update offers dynamic DAW control functionality, doubles the amount of scene memory locations, and offers users an updated Scene Edit mode. In addition, with additional Cakewalk Production Plus Pack CD-ROM, which include the popular DAW software SONAR LE, the M-16DX box becomes the complete package for mixing, computer recording and mastering in DeskTop Media Production (DTMP).

EDIROL by Roland Product Marketing Manager Michael Barrett relates, "This new update allows the M-16DX digital mixer to become a true all-in-one recording solution for our customers. Users will find easier to edit and save Scenes, and the added ability to control popular DAW software applications and plug-ins from the M-16DX mixer surface. With several knobs and buttons at their fingertips rather than just a single mouse, users will enjoy a smooth and productive workflow with greater control in their favorite Mac or Windows recording software."

The M-16DX operates not only as a powerful 16 channel digital mixer with unique, two mixer+module concept and an Hi-Speed USB (USB 2.0) audio interface that allows 18 channel simultaneous recording for Mac & PC, but with a single push of a button, it can quickly change to control surface mode offering 52 physical knobs and 41 physical switches to control functions in most popular digital audio workstations, such as Cakewalk SONAR Series, Apple Logic Pro, Ableton Live, and other software. In case of Cakewalk SONAR LE, for instance, fader automation writing and reading can comfortably be operated on the M-16DX Mix Controller without mouse and ASCII keyboard at the end of music composition. At that time, users can check the fader automation envelops seen on track window visually.

A new Alternative Mode setting allows users to operate the M-16DX mixer and a DAW software at the same time while the Exclusive Mode allows nearly every knob and button on the M-16DX to send controller information to the DAW software with a quick button switch. To utilize its one-by-one controls intuitively, four kinds of template sheets are packed in the box.

Has anyone used one of these as a control surface too?

Day

Archived