Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

S90ES Editing FX

Tonysounds

Anybody have a link to a Power Users Guide, or have the knowhow to explain how to edit FX in voice mode? I dont seem to be able to edit the (for lack of a better term) OVERALL effects in voice mode; I can get into the insert mode and tweak/retool those effects, but for something like changing reverb to delay over the entire voice patch, I cant seem to access the level that lets me change the type of effect. I know, the software editor is the way to go, Im working on getting a computer into my little studio but until then

Thanks in advance for any help!

T

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Tony,

I think you are talking about changing instead of tweaking the insert effects in voice mode, correct? It's done on the routing schematic which is a bit counter-intuitive.

In voice made hit edit to get to the global edit screen. Then F6 will take you to the Effects screen. You'll see a signal path drawn out with the routing from the two insert effects on the left hand side through the global effect (master effects are covered elsewhere) on the right hand side. Cursor over the box (or line) you want to change. Hope this helps,

Jerry

PS: If I misunderstood and you want to addresse the master effects ... these are done by clicking the utility menu .... then selecting the voice submenu.

Tony:

Here's the Link to the ES Knowledge Base FX file:

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/Documents/MotifES_-_Effects_.pdf

I usually work in Song Mode, but in Voice mode you can select EDIT, then use the Function Key to select "Effects". When you get to that screen, you select "Connect" (all the way on the left) You can use the arrow key to get over to the Chorus or Reverb for any of the Elements you are using for that voice. You can make separate selections for each element. If you want to change the Reverb, once the Reverb is highlighted, you should see HALL as the default setting for the first element in the voice. With the Reverb selection highlighted, you can turn the large data dial to the right of the screen clockwise to move from one kind of reverb to the next, or shut if off if you wish. Once you select the kind of reverb you want, you arrow down to the small "knobs" below the main Reverb box and dial in the amount of "Reverb Return". Same thing applies to the Chorus section. Be sure to select "Store" then Enter. so save the changes. If its a Preset, it will ask for for a User location you want to save it too. If this usit is new, be sure to SAVE an ALL File with before you make any changes. Also, after editing and saving any number of voices you have edited, be sure to SAVE an ALL VOICE file, and give it a name with the date, for example ALLV7309. For All Voices 7/30/09.

I'm doing this off the top of my head without the Motif ES in front of me, but that should be all you have to do. I'm going to check which function keys you press to get to the screen that is illustrated on the attached link page one, and be sure I have everything in the right order when I get home tonight. IF there are any corrections, I will post it tomorrow.

Later,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

There is also a Master button on Motifs. I think it's also on the "S" series. Maybe not.

You can do effects changes well beyond just tweaking from the front panel without the computer editor. It just takes a little time but it's not hard. I edit all the time without the computer.

Bill:

AFAIK, Master Mode is just a pointer to a Voice, Performance, or Song that is in any of those modes. I believe the best way to edit anything is in the native mode of what you are trying to edit. For example, the number of changes you can make to a voice when in Song Mode is not as much that is available in Voice mode. Probably because you are creating a Song, not a voice, in Song mode.

Mike

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

If I misunderstood and you want to addresse the master effects ... these are done by clicking the utility menu .... then selecting the voice submenu.

Jerry, yes I want to address MASTER effects. Thank you and Mike for your help. I'll try this when I get home.

Yamaha ha ha ha ha....they don't make it easy!

If I misunderstood and you want to addresse the master effects ... these are done by clicking the utility menu .... then selecting the voice submenu.

Jerry, yes I want to address MASTER effects. Thank you and Mike for your help. I'll try this when I get home.

Yamaha ha ha ha ha....they don't make it easy!

Yeah T but you gotta love this f'n place. No shortage of help around here. :wave::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

My apologies gentlemen. If you press and hold the Master Effect button (under the Effects section of the front panel) it's settings pop right up on the screen.

I assume too much around here. Master mode is of course a different button. Under the Mode section of the front panel.

Uh......duh......

Just to add a note about the editing and librarian software for voices, performances, masters, librarians, etc that are for the Yamaha line of Motifs & S90's.......I use the John Melas editors as they are far and way better than other editors....IMHO

Cool Editors :thu:

Tony, why is it that you feel you need to change the MASTER effects? Just curious. I'm pretty sure what I do with my MOTIF ES8 is different than working on an S90ES, I use Song Mode 99% of the time and work within that structure because I create, edit, steal, or borrow, Midi files to play backing tracks along with my playing and singing. So I edit everything in Voice Mode, and do more editing of the Song Effects within the Song Mode. In addition to the FX that you have on a Voice or Performance, there are two "Master" effects in Song Mode too, that can be used with any of the voices or performances I put in a song. So I edit beyond the Voice level with the Master FX within Song Mode.

But you are not using a sequencer, so what you are going to do will be different. Phew! That was a long explanation!

Anyway, what's the reason for changing the master FX?

Mike T.

I was working on a Rhodes=type patch that I want to set the mod wheel for wah, and then be able to apply some DELAY to as needed. Well, I don't necessarily love reverb and chorus on everything, so since I needed the inserts for other fx, I wanted to change the Master FX on this Voice from CHORUS to DELAY, and then assign a slider for depth of Delay.

So in this case, it's a question of semantics: MASTER FX is probably not the correct term, but it's the FX applied to all 4 elements of the Voice that I wanted to change.

Tony, I was wondering about that. I checked the Utility Mode last night and as far as I can see, you can only turn the FX on or off in utility mode. I haven't checked into Utility in ages, I had setup my MIDI configuration, saved it, and saved it off along with all my Voice, Performance, and Master Mode programs into an "ALL" File, which I encourage you to do once you get acclimated to the board. As you make changes to Voices and other sounds, be sure to save them in an ALLVOICE file, as I suggested above. That way if your S90ES memory ever gets wiped for any reason, you can quickly restore everything.

I checked into editing the Effects last night, and you select F6 (as Tusker pointed out)for Effects then SF1 to get to the main "Connect" screen that give you all 4 Elements on the left side of the screen that you can select and then edit the FX by using the Arrow keys to move across the screen to get to Chorus and Reverb.

You can use the Control Set to setup which hardware controllers you want to control different FX with in a voice. So if you want to apply Delay by increasing the MOD WHEEL, you just have to get into the Control Set, and by using the arrow keys to select what controller you want to work on, then page through the different FX to use as the "Source" by turning the large data wheel clockwise until you get to the controller you want to use. Ber sure to save and store the voice when you are finished editing.

There are 3 Sets in the Control Set that you can select on at a time to assign different functions to different controller. Typically, I use an FC7 pedal to control changes I want to make to a Voice so I can play with both hands on Organ and Rhodes sounds. Keep in mind that because you have 3 sets to work with, that gives you a lot of flexibility in how many different FX you can use, and the ability to use more than one controller (say a second pedal AND the Mod Wheel) in the same Voice, and to what degree. I also increase the amount of reverb return on my organ sounds when I use the pedal to go to the FAST speed, this helps with the illusion of a Leslie starting to spin up. You can also configure the different effects you use in either Parallel or Series for better control of WHEN an FX kicks in.

You will need to spend some time with this board to get to where you want to go with it, it is a very DEEP board. But very flexible and a great sound set.

The nemesis of the ES series is the small screen, which forced Yamaha to use a lot of appreviations on the screen so that they would fit. I hope you got the manuals with it, there is a second manual that gives you a list of all the voices and abbreviations. It pays to look through it.

Mike T.

Yep, I discovered all this last nite thanks to everyone's clues yesterday. All is well and good, and I had already assigned the mod wheel to control the wah, so the slider/delay depth was perfect for me.

Yamaha's schemes for doing things are pretty screwy, but suffering through them allows you to really personalize the instrument, which I like. I've discovered some things that may allow me to retire my A90. I like having the ability to be spontaneous and make a left turn with either a sound or musical idea while playing when the mood strikes, and having a CONTROLLER as the core of the rig makes that difficult some times as you just can't plan for everything; but having the ability to take that controller out of that mode and revert back to a self-contained instrument is a great capability, and something I'm willing to trade a couple of midi zones for.

That's great Tony. I guess the A90 has what, 8 midi zones? With all the great sounds in the ES series, you can skate by with less external hardware and less time configuring it. Master Mode is a nice feature on the ES series, you have to set it up, but once your finished, save the configuration and then RELAX. :thu:

Mike T.

The S Series KBs are decent MIDI controllers. Believe half the zones were chopped off due to the onboard synth engine, better samples, increased polyphony, etc.

While it was over a decade ago, it seems like just yesterday that I had an A90EX and KB modules. Those multiple zones were delicious. :laugh:

Tony, you will be able to retire the A90 at some point. It is a 12 step program. :)

Regarding effects, I usually bypass them. End result of the program is being reduced to playing EP almost exclusively. :D:cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

By Prof D:

Regarding effects, I usually bypass them. End result of the program is being reduced to playing EP almost exclusively.

The Rhodes sounds in the ES series are very good. I use Rhodes and Wurly sounds more than AP sounds in my songs. By editing the FX on the factory EP sounds on the ES, you can easily use a Stereo PAN vibrato controlled by an FC7 pedal to sweep the sound Left To Right while you play. This is something you can do on a Suitcase Rhodes. You can also vary the amount of Chorus on the Rhodes in the same way. You will get a lot closer to the way a Suitcase Rhodes sounds if you use the tools on board your Motif ES8. The great stock sounds can make us lazy!

Cheers,

Mike T.

I like having the ability to be spontaneous and make a left turn with either a sound or musical idea while playing when the mood strikes, and having a CONTROLLER as the core of the rig makes that difficult some times as you just can't plan for everything; but having the ability to take that controller out of that mode and revert back to a self-contained instrument is a great capability, and something I'm willing to trade a couple of midi zones for.

This is exactly how I use the master effect also. I don't want it on all the time, but I have it turned off and pointed to a control delay. If I am in patch mode and want to do something spacey ... I go to the utility mode and turn this on. With something like a rhodes patch, you can get pretty close to Steve Howe's echoplexed pedal steel in a couple of key presses. And you get four usable sliders to play with right away. To do this inside the patch, you have to dedicate all sorts of resources.

Jerry

Tusker, that's pretty interesting. I don't use Voice or Master Mode very much, or the sliders for controllers. I use Song Mode almost exclusively and use the sliders to control the track volume on my Sequences.

Your post just goes to show how flexible the Motif and S90 series are. Thanks for jumping in with another perspective!

Mike T.

You will get a lot closer to the way a Suitcase Rhodes sounds if you use the tools on board your Motif ES8. The great stock sounds can make us lazy!

Of course, editing and tweaking go a long way. It is great for effect.

Often times, I get tired of hearing chorus, panning, wah, etc., and actually prefer a dry sound. :cool:

PD

Yep, I have shut off the Stereo Chorus and Vibrata on my Suitcase Rhodes too. That's a good way to test the piano to get a feel for the general health of the TINES and the way the piano is set up, as well as how good its in tune. A good sounding instrument doesn't need FX to sound good. My Old Oberheims sounded great coming through a small practice amp.

OTOH, if you have a PA system and are playing to a crowd, I like to use the on-board tools my Motif has to incorporate some variety in the sound as I go through a song. Sterio Panning is a cool effect on a Real Rhodes. You don't have to smother something in Chorus or Reverb in order to introduce some variety.

Mike T.

Archived