Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The new LogicStudio is here!

EricG

Yes, Bobby, I can confirm it.

What I found is academic pricing for Logic was always $449 if you purchased online (from any of several online academic vendors) - this was true for Logic 8, and no surprise also true for Logic 9.

However, on-campus college bookstores that physically carry Apple product are/were $149 for Logic 8 (true of both California State University San Diego, as well as California State University East Bay). My $149 box of Logic Studio 8 was purchased at San Diego State's bookstore.

Yesterday, walked into bookstore at Cal State East Bay and the desk verified $149, 3-5 days shipping (as the product is so new, academic inventory hasn't hit their shelves yet.)

Hope that helps some.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's freaking great news Tim, thanks a million. I would be purchasing my copy at UCSD probably, where I went and where my brother still goes.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Moog Man is correct, academic cannot be upgraded. But if every release of Logic can be had for $149, isn't that effectively cheaper than upgrading?

I tell you, the first time I saw that whole friggin' box for that price, I felt like I was stealing...

Moog Man is correct, academic cannot be upgraded. But if every release of Logic can be had for $149, isn't that effectively cheaper than upgrading?

I tell you, the first time I saw that whole friggin' box for that price, I felt like I was stealing...

Exactly my sentiment when I bought Logic 8 15 Months ago.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

Yes but not if you ain't a student anymore... but where theres a will theres a way right?

Well, as a grad student I won't argue with you.

post doc now ;-)

I think Apple should still offer the upgrade path... they are losing out... I'll just get a student friend to buy it for me... but I'm in no rush just yet... I barely know Logic 8

Three months ago I upgraded to Logic 8 Studio from Express. Ah, well.
Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

I just bought The Logic 8 Studio upgrade for $92 from AudioModo.com. I'm trying to get another year out of my G5, am budgeting for a new studio computer next year, and it seems like Logic 8 is the last version that will run on pre-Intel macs. So I'm happy with my purchase.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

I'll just get a student friend to buy it for me...

:rolleyes:

Why go the shady (suspect, questionable, dubious, doubtful, disreputable, untrustworthy, dishonest, devious, dishonorable, underhanded, unscrupulous, irregular, unethical) route?

For $499 you get value worth 5-10 times that plus you're legitimately eligible for the $199 upgrade on the next one.

Let's just say that for once, since we're not talking about basketball, ;) I agree with steadyb 100%.

Buy the full retail version now and you'll be eligible for all the upgrades for all future versions. $499 is a ridiculous bargain, and if you wait or search around, you may find it for a little cheaper, around $450 from some sources.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Why go the shady (suspect, questionable, dubious, doubtful, disreputable, untrustworthy, dishonest, devious, dishonorable, underhanded, unscrupulous, irregular, unethical) route?

Because I can... stick that up your jumper self righteous Mr Holier than thou... :)

Let's just say that for once, since we're not talking about basketball, ;) I agree with steadyb 100%.

Buy the full retail version now and you'll be eligible for all the upgrades for all future versions. $499 is a ridiculous bargain, and if you wait or search around, you may find it for a little cheaper, around $450 from some sources.

But I already bought it as a student... I'm than willing to pay the upgrade price... but not $450...

But I already bought it as a student... I'm than willing to pay the upgrade price... but not $450...

You knew it wasn't upgradable when you bought the student version (as a student). Just because you don't like the policy doesn't justify trying to cheat the system now. Logic Studio offers more value than any other music software program out there.

Do you also park in handicap spots just cause you feel like it? Just because you were once a kid doesn't mean you should still play in the balls at Chuck E. Cheese...

For $499 you get value worth 5-10 times that plus you're legitimately eligible for the $199 upgrade on the next one.

Wow. Well there are myriad reasons that I would legally pay $149 for something instead of $449. Primarily it has to do with saving $300 and it being perfectly legal. My brother will probably use it as well, although not as much as I do.

But also it has to do with the fact that I need that $300 very desperately, so I can line Steve Jobs pockets with it when I buy a $3300 8 core Mac Pro. For someone in his late 20s busting his ass with every second of free time trying to make it in the world of music and living in expensive L.A., I need to save every penny I can. I don't use pirated software even though I have access to it, I consider myself to be ethical and full of integrity, and I have no problem having my brother who is a student purchase software for a discount because he legally can. If it was hurting apple, they wouldn't offer it at that price. They sure don't give academic discounts on their computers after all.

I could care less what other people do, but I'll just say that I'm a student and bought the $450 version. One reason was that I needed it quickly for a session and couldn't wait to go to a bookstore. I also like the fact that I can upgrade it easily without having to reinstall a new one every time. I also feel $450 is the right price to pay for such awesome software. At that price I feel like it is already a bargain compared to the hardware I was using before.

BTW, I did get an academic discount on my Mac and also got a free printer and ipod touch. All money well spent IMO.

You knew it wasn't upgradable when you bought the student version (as a student). Just because you don't like the policy doesn't justify trying to cheat the system now. Logic Studio offers more value than any other music software program out there.

Do you also park in handicap spots just cause you feel like it? Just because you were once a kid doesn't mean you should still play in the balls at Chuck E. Cheese...

Again, very self righteous and more an insight into your character than mine... :(

I don't want to get into any arguments... and I'm not angry or anything, but just to say, I am more than willing to pay for an upgrade like I can do with *every* other piece of software I own academic or not (yep I don't use warez or anything).

What I am thinking about is pretty much what 9/10 people think... but just don't admit... Lets face it, if a guy saw a car for sale but needed someone else to buy it in order to get it at a 3rd of the price, and it was legal, they'd do it...

They sure don't give academic discounts on their computers after all.

Yes they do.

I was not speaking literally. What I meant was they give a pretty marginal and insignificant academic discount for computers as compared to the discounts they give on Logic. Trust me, as an immoral scumbag, I've checked that with my brother as well.

Lets face it, if a guy saw a car for sale but needed someone else to buy it in order to get it at a 3rd of the price, and it was legal, they'd do it...

Ethics aside, there is also the issue you've raised about the legality of this action.

If this is illegal, and I suspect it is, do you want to expose yourself and your academic partner to the risk of prosecution?

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

AFAIK Geoff, its not illegal... I wonder how could they enforce such a law? Like I have said I just think it would have been better for an upgrade path for ex-academics...

I can do this with my other software. It seems that by not doing this they just allow people to use another route... and to be honest I don't even need to use another person.. I'm still an academic even though I'm a post doc as I work in the uni environment (which is all you need)... so the point is moot anyhow...

Will I upgrade atm? probably not (got too many pieces of software/hardware that I never get a chance to use).. so its not really an issue.. but I'm just putting forward a point... seems Apple could make some money by offering the upgrade path to academic licenses...

It's not a law. When you "buy" software, you actually buy the physical media and a license to use the software, but the intellectual property remains that of the developer.

From Section 1 of the license agreement that comes with Logic Studio (the first version; I assume the Logic Studio 2009 is similar or identical)

The Apple software (including any content), documentation and any fonts accompanying this License whether on disk, in read only memory, on any other media or in any other form (collectively the "Apple Software") are licensed, not sold, to you by Apple Inc. ("Apple") for use only under the terms of this License, and Apple reserves all rights not expressly granted to you. The rights granted herein are limited to Apple's and its licensors' intellectual property rights in the Apple Software and do not include any other patents or intellectual property rights. You own the media on which the Apple Software is recorded but Apple and/or Apple's licensor(s) retain ownership of the Apple Software itself. The terms of this License will govern any software upgrades provided by Apple that replace and/or supplement the original Apple Software product, unless such upgrade is accompanied by a separate license in which case the terms of that license will govern.

As far as who can use various "non-full" versions (NFR, Academic),

NFR (Not for Resale) Copies: Notwithstanding other sections of this License, Apple Software labeled or otherwise provided to you on a promotional basis may only be used for demonstration, testing and evaluation purposes and may not be resold or transferred.

Academic Copies: If the Apple Software retail package is labeled "Academic Single User", you must be an Eligible Educational End User to use the Apple Software. "Eligible Educational End Users" means students, faculty, staff and administration attending and/or working at an educational institutional facility (i.e., college campus, public or private K-12 schools).

[snip]

This License is effective until terminated. Your License will terminate automatically without notice from Apple if you fail to comply with any term(s) of this License. Upon the termination of this License, you shall cease all use of the Apple Software and destroy all copies, full or partial, of the Apple Software.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Not impossible, but difficult.

And just because something is hard to enforce, doesn't mean it should be or is okay to be violated. ;)

I'm just pointing out the facts here. Since you are still academically affiliated, I think that's your answer. But I do agree with you that software companies should encourage people to upgrade their academic licenses to full licenses by giving them an option besides starting over. Usually, once someone starts using a piece of software, they'll stick with it instead of change. Make them feel good about sticking with it by giving them a legal method to continue to do so.

Looks like you lose quite a bit in the upgrade.... :)

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p4/marzzzA6/IMG_2196.jpg

Yeah, I was surprised too when I heard that Logic 9 does not come with printed manuals. It does not come with PDF files either.

Regarding the Intel requirement, I've heard of G5 Mac users installing and using Logic 9. The story I'm hearing is Apple won't stop you from installing it on a non-Intel Mac, but they're not going to support issues on non-Intel Macs either.

I think the concept is that the manuals come in the Help or on Apple's web site, and are thus always current. Why the heck Apple's Help Viewer is never fast, I'll never understand. I mean, I do, but they should make it better so you don't sit there waiting for it to load.

Archived