Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New granular hardware synth

danimuschi

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this looks pretty cool...

quick question... what exactly IS a granular synth... how does granular synthesis work? I've heard of them... but never really looked into it, but this thing sounds really cool, and deserves me learning about it.

I can't click on YouTube links, so have no idea what device you are referring to, but I think this might be the first time granular synthesis is put into a hardware device vs. a soft synth.

As the "Clonk here" underline might be a dangerous link as well, I can't "clonk here" -- better if it instead described what it is linking to. :-) I'm hoping it's a helpful description of what granular synthesis is. Maybe I'll check later tonight, and add my own description if that isn't what it points to (I'm too lazy otherwise).

I haven't really found a use for granular synthesis in my music or soundtrack work yet, but have an upcoming project where it might be worth trying. I've been so happy with FM and Additive Synthesis all these years, when doing creative soundscaping.

Granular Synthesis has always struck me as something you'd probably use in conjunction with other synthesis techniques, but it's also somewhat akin to some of the more advanced sample manipulation that E-Mu has done that most others don't do.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

As the "Clonk here" underline might be a dangerous link as well

C'mon, Mark... I know you don't know me, but do you think I'd actually link to anything dangerous? :freak:

It's a link to the Wikipedia entry for Granular Synthesis. :thu:

Sven, it's dangerous if it goes to a website that is banned in the workplace -- this could be cause for dismissal.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

OK, so I clicked on the Wiki link and read it, and it's an interesting summary of the synthesis technique, quite different from any that I've read before, but in many ways easier to understand.

Up until now, the best description I had read was in the 12-part article on synthesis techniques published by Sound-On-Sound a few years back. Those articles informed most of my eBay buys a few years back, when I was learning synthesis via buying/selling vintage gear (I've obviously moved on since then).

Sven, it's dangerous if it goes to a website that is banned in the workplace -- this could be cause for dismissal.

I understood the implication, Mark; my day gig is in I.T., and I'm involved with the enforcement of company policy. If you're here on the KC forum during the workday, you're fine with Wikipedia. :thu:

In the event that I ever link to anything even questionable, I ensure that I include a "not work safe" disclaimer.

Of course, simply hovering over the link shows the URL in most browsers, so you could see it's a Wikipedia entry using that method. :cool:

In the end, I'm glad you found it useful. :D

Surprisingly, the YouTube video played without hiccupping, stalling, or crashing/freezing either my browser or my computer. :-)

This synth isn't really my cup of tea, but the later sounds towards the end seem more promising as ones that would actually sit well in a mix. I can see the resynthesis possibilities with vocal input and using this technique to emulate a Talk Box, for instance.

I just finished all the presets yesterday and i've gotta say this is one funky little machine. 1 oscilator with sweepable waveform from LFO and ENV. 4 filters modded by 2 LFOs and 1 ENV, Granular fx, nasty distortion (if you are into that) and a little sequencer...

Soundwise I think it's quite cool. I could do anything from crazy distorted leads, bases and FX to very special sounding pads with all the filters panned and modulated and what not... It's got a lot of personallity and doesn't sound like anything I've ever heard. And you can get a version with external input for running external stuf through the filter, distortions and granular effects. Cheack: http://www.gotharman.dk/demoon.htm for full specs... The audio samples on the site is not mine ;-)

More audio examples on its way...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

That sounds very cool. So it's a midi-controlled module? It may be too early for this, but do you have any idea on when it hits the market and what the price tag will be?

I've messed around with Reason's Malstrom synthesizer (also granular) a little bit, although I must say I don't entirely know how it works.

I wonder... after all the fuss about the Tokai thread - does this thread stand up to the forum policies?

It was started by someone on behalf of the company\brand that makes this synth. He's heavily promoting the product, and not just answering questions.

Like i said, this forum chooses which thread to shut down and which thread not to... :snax:

Vermona Perfourmer mkii, Nord Stage 3 76

Why is this such a cause for you?

Well, for starters, because i can read:

1. If you work for a music products manufacturer, and someone asks a question about your products or directly requests information from you or your company (for example, a post that begins "If anyone from Kormahaland is listening..."), your response is entirely welcome, as one mission of this forum is certainly to foster information exchange between manufacturers and users. However, please do not start topics about your company or products.

I don't have anything against the company that makes "DeMoon". I just don't like the fact that different brands are treated differently by this thread's moderators. If the Tokai thread was removed because it was started by a company representative - than so should this thread. Period.

And of course, since this guy didn't sign as an employee of the manufacturer, than this is also relevant:

We also ask that if you are posting in your capacity as employee of a manufacturer or other M.I. company, that your signature or the body of your post contain your real name, position, and company name. You do not need to do this if you happen to work for such a company and are posting as a private citizen.

The ending is relevant for cases in which a company representative\employee posts about "regular" topics, and not about the product of the company he works for.

Yeah, but you compared the Tokai thread to the Korg SV-1 thread at the time.

Do you seriously think the mods see Tokai differently than whoever makes the synth being discussed in this thread? I'll bet you a beer or lunch that this thread was simply overlooked. The Tokai thread was for a bit until it was reported. That's what the Notify button is for. At least Daniel here is somewhat of an established member, who posts about other subjects. The Tokai poster was here only to promote the product. Still, Daniel is probably wrong in starting this thread.

P.S. Guess who started the Korg SV-1 thread? :wave:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I've spoken with Daniel, who informs me that although he is writing programs for the synth, he is not an employee of the company (I've done that myself here and there), and has not been paid for any of his programming efforts to date.

Since he really doesn't seem to have any vested interest in selling product and just seems to me to be a normal forum member who is definitely known to me and who has posted here for more than a few years on lots of topics, I really don't see any harm in leaving this topic open... :cool:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Cool. Thanks for checking things out, dB. :cool:

I'm glad to see Daniel's work can be seen and this synth can be discussed since otherwise it wasn't brought up. There seems to be interest in it.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Archived