Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

a death to consider

I thought that this particular sadness had a little more relevancy than some of the more recent posts of similar subject.

http://www.etaiwannews.com/etn/news_content.php?id=987001&lang=eng_news

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Worked for me (maybe bill edited it ?)...

"Pushing Too Hard" was a great song, with content that went beyond most early-mid 1960s pop/rock.

Kinda similar to the Standells & some of their material.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C3WVzPy4cw

Plus he didn't just lean on his glory days but kept working.search_query=sometimes+good+guys+don%27t+wear+white&search_type=&aq=f

Plus Saxon didn't just lean on his glory days but kept working.

That's more than we can say for many.

d=halfnote

This is going to sound terrible, but I have never heard of him, or his band.

Were they strictly a US band?

The Seeds were a short lived phenomenon in the mid-60's. They weren't huge but had 1 big radio hit (Pushing Too Hard) & 1 lesser hit (The Farmer), then disappeared after less than a year in the limelight. Some people consider them an important proto-punk band. Mainly they were a marginally talented primitive band which happened along before punk got started, but I doubt anybody really considered them an influence.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

The first solo that Eddie Van Halen learned was Sky Saxon's in "Pushin' Too Hard" by The Seeds...

Does that count as being an influence, a little?

I've read and heard their name (The Seeds) dropped a few times as an influence or favorite old garage/proto-punk band...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

The first solo that Eddie Van Halen learned was Sky Saxon's in "Pushin' Too Hard" by The Seeds...

That was an odd little descant obligato part. Whether it was an influence might be judged by how much Van Halen sounds like the Seeds.

I've read and heard their name (The Seeds) dropped a few times as an influence or favorite old garage/proto-punk band...

You know, I do think the Seeds' bass player was a big influence on how low Keith Richards' straps his guitar on. The bass player had his bass down around mid-thigh.

And Sky Saxon used to play a Mustang, which just maybe kinda possibly sort of a little bit might have influenced Adrian Belew to do so later in the 80's.

I actually rather liked the Seeds' primitivism at the time, though they were pretty much overshadowed by the context of a lot of incredibly great music going on around them at that time. IIRC they came out around 1966, just before the second British invasion which would sweep everything else off the map.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

You know, I do think the Seeds' bass player was a big influence on how low Keith Richards' straps his guitar on. The bass player had his bass down around mid-thigh.

And Sky Saxon used to play a Mustang, which just maybe kinda possibly sort of a little bit might have influenced Adrian Belew to do so later in the 80's.

I just checked some YouTubes & see that it was Saxon playing bass (a Vox teardrop, like Bill Wyman,) & it was the guitarist who had the Mustang down around his knees. So my memory was kinda correct, after 43 years.

There's a very distinct possibility the Ramones were influenced in their haircuts by Sky Saxon. Take a look.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

Pushin' too Hard and Can't Seem to Make You Mine.... those are great songs. I've heard them before but I don't have much recollection of The Seeds... Granted I was just a few years old when they were out but that's no excuse...

[video:youtube]ifQK_86Nk-A

"Spend all day doing nothing

But we sure do it well" - Huck Johns from 'Oh Yeah'

Click to Listen to Oh yeah

I'd say we're influenced by almost anything we hear, even if we forget it.

I think I've just been influenced by Sky Saxon to end the use of a tanbourine onstage by just dropping it & letting the jangle when it hits the floor be emphasis (check the vid above, about 40 swconds in).

It's also possible to be influenced by what we don't like, as in "I'll never do anything like that!"

d=halfnote

Archived