Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Racquetball

raddtunes

We have football and basketball threads here, why not?

Yesterday I attended a clinic by Bret Harnett, one of the greats of the game - and fortunately, a resident of my city and a member of my club!!! Awesome clinic, and it's absolutely the equivalent of a tennis clinic by Andre Agaasi.

Every year in Dec. Bret does a "play the pro" promotion - you bring in a toy for charity, and he'll play you a game. The first year I actually got a point. This past December, I got two points. That's a 100% increase in the quality of my game . . . uh, right?

Any of you guys play?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could never get the hang of it. I'm a tennis and golf guy, everytime I've played I've roached my neck.

The last time I was on a racquetball court, I was in a boxing match against a 250lb. beast at 6AM. I'm 160lb. It's a long, odd story that would hijack your thread. Suffice to say I don't walk onto racquetball courts much anymore.

I used to play a ton when courts were free to me in college. Even then, I couldn't play during cross country season or indoor track or outdoor track, so it was just a few short windows in there when I could play, but when I could I did.

The weird thing about racquetball is the very best players just kill it (ball hits wall right by the floor and rolls off) pretty much all the time, so it isn't really any exercise for them. It's GREAT exercise if you're not that good, but good enough to keep the point alive for a while against a similarly skilled player.

I love racquetball. I should probably find a way to start playing again, but then again, I have so many other things I want to do too.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

I used to play twice a week in college, about 25 years ago. I took a class back then, it was taught by a pro named Bob Gura; I would get a point, or two, in games with him. Since then, I played off and on in the Chicago area. Since moving to Colorado, I've started to play it more often; go figure. Racquetball is a bit of a different game at 5000 ft. though. I feel the elevation, but have been adjusting OK. Still a great workout, as always.

Allan

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I have played, years back. My face would turn purple and I would be in serious danger of my heart exploding.

These days, I would drop dead of overexertion within 5 minutes.

Geez,

That cracked me up. It's good that you know your limitations!

I used to play a lot of raquetball, but when I bought a house I found running to be a cheaper form of exercise. The pros are amazing. Funny how they'll jump to let the competitor's shot from behind them go under them. Played doubles with my Dad when I was a teen, I was back ready to hit the ball forward and instead he blasted one backward right into my face. Doubles is a little risky. Cut-throat is pretty cool if you have three. I would love to play again but can't justify the expense when the track and trails are free.

Regards,

Joe

My grandfather was a national handball champion, so when i was young, we played lots of handball (same basic court, smaller solid ball, no paddles - just padded gloves). I actually really liked the game, and kinda miss playing it occasionally.

I tried doing it with the racquet when it got big in the 70's, but could never get used to it after having spent so many years playing without the paddle. I actually tried playing with my gloves on using a paddleball against guys with paddles - that was interesting....

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Archived