Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Chick Corea "Five Peace Band" keyboards used?

Jazz+

As far as pitch bending goes, that award, IMHO goes to Jan Hammer. Before Hammer every one was bending to extremes because the Minimoog pitch wheel bends something like +/- seven semitones. Hammer studied and mimicked guitar pitch bending. Subtle pitch bending is more challenging on the original Mini. Hammer is the reason all modern synths default to +/- two semitones PB.

Busch.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As far as pitch bending goes, that award, IMHO goes to Jan Hammer. Before Hammer every one was bending to extremes because the Minimoog pitch wheel bends something like +/- seven semitones. Hammer studied and mimicked guitar pitch bending. Subtle pitch bending is more challenging on the original Mini. Hammer is the reason all modern synths default to +/- two semitones PB.

Busch.

Yep, Hammer. I used a MiniMoog in the late 70's mostly as a guitar - I rarely bent the pitches more than one whole step or half step. It took some getting used to, with the MM wheel sensitivity, but a pitch bent too far didn't sound musically natural.

Beauty is in the ear of the observer when it comes to pitch bending on synths. I have no problem with any of the three examples posted - does nothing for me as far as "proving" which between Chick, Jan, and Joe were "the best".

Bending with good intonation, though, is indeed something worth practicing seriously if one intends to use pitch bends. There are numerous examples of pitch bends with bad intonation, played on guitars on Youtube.

Jan Hammer studied and mimicked guitar pitch bending.

Bad mofo on a KB but therein lies my problem with him. Not only did his playing revolution KB pitch bending, it also brought about the keytar. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Hey, let's not leave Roland out of the party. If Chick plays a Fantom, is he making a turd look shiny? :D Which Big Three keyboard sounds least poopy in his hands?

Hmmm - does everyone feel this way about Roland? Thinking of getting a new board by one of the big three and was considering the Fantom.

Hey, let's not leave Roland out of the party. If Chick plays a Fantom, is he making a turd look shiny? :D Which Big Three keyboard sounds least poopy in his hands?

Hmmm - does everyone feel this way about Roland? Thinking of getting a new board by one of the big three and was considering the Fantom.

Actually, I was jokingly playing off the somewhat negative implication of Chick using a Yamaha Motif - the implication being the Motif is a piece of trash but Chick makes it sound sooo goooooddd ;).

All Big 3 workstations sound fine to me. It's all about what specific features unique to each that appeals to you. And there are non-Big-3 products worthy of consideration as well (eg. Kurzweill).

Actually, I was jokingly playing off the somewhat negative implication of Chick using a Yamaha Motif - the implication being the Motif is a piece of trash but Chick makes it sound sooo goooooddd ;).

All Big 3 workstations sound fine to me. It's all about what specific features unique to each that appeals to you. And there are non-Big-3 products worthy of consideration as well (eg. Kurzweill).

Now you've got me salivating :love: I've been making due with an Alesis QS8 for years - sounds are a little dated but it got the job done.

Archived