Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

American Idol Update

stepay

I wonder if anyone else here saw American Idol last night. There are some pretty good singers in this bunch, but one interesting thing in particular happened last night. The first singer, Danny Gokey, sang Stand By Me, with a funky arrangement that had jazzy chord substitutions that would sound at home in a modern black gospel choir - I love that stuff. It was a very nice arrangement, and Danny is an excellent singer.So, anyway, all the judges except Paula Abdul (!) made disparaging remarks about the arrangement, including Randy Jackson, which surprised me.

I agree with the judges: I like hearing new arrangements, but Gokey took it so far out it was totally unrecognizable. It was different, but that didn't make it good. YMMV of course.

The redheaded girl and Adam are the clear stars in this competition.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, Adam was great. Good song choice, great execution. H always gets a good light treamtent too.

The redheaded girl chose a great song, but I'm not that big a fan of hers. She has a good voice, but tends to sing from the back of the throat a lot, a la Christina Aguilera. Not a fan of that style.

Adam is better off in the glam rock/broadway style of singing. I could not take him singin R&B or soul.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

There were a lot of angry people around here because the show ran long. We tend to use the DVR, then watch it later, so we can skim pqast the really bad performances, like Lil's.

Unfortunately, the show ran so long that we didn't see Adam's performance.

An Orlando radio station that has a long running morning show will do a recap of Idol on Wednesday morning. They complained of the same thing.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Archived