Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best Vocals Sung Out of Tune

Autotune is changing our ears - making us think a "perfect" vocal pitch-wise is an absolute necessity. It's like airbrushing the photo so the girl looks like she's totally perfect - I prefer the real thing along with the flaws. So here's my vote for a great vocal that's really out of tune in places, but it really don't matter: Don Henley's "End of the Innocence" List some more to help make this important point.... M Peasley

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To clarify, I'd make a distinction between vocalists who purposefully sing all over the place just as part of their style - like Dylan and Neil Young and Waits - vs. vocalists who really have some pipes like Henley and Plant and Morrison. In other words, to make the point that truly good vocals even from a real singer's point of view doesn't have to be antiseptically and artificially in perfect tune. M Peasley

Anthony Kiedis (sic?), the guy in the Chili Peppers, is ALWAYS out of tune. I'm not really a huge fan of theirs but I'm just amazed by how they manage to somehow make the overall mix still sound professional or at least "okay." When I sing one note a little out, it's really noticeable and unprofessional sounding. The engineers on the Chili Peppers stuff are doing something to make it still sound like a record, I just can't figure out what the hell it is...
None more black.

I personally don't think Anthony Keidis should have EVER tried to sing. He is a punk-rapper, not a singer. Even Autotune couldn't help that voice. The reason it sounds even remotely acceptible is because his backing band is so damn good. I think we're straying off course here a bit. The topic is the "BEST vocals sung out of tune," not the most popular. I'll nominate Robert Smith and Morrissey.

Most of the stuff from my [url=http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/7/meat_distributors.html]Meat Distributors[/url] days is... well... not perfect. I did of it myself in the basement into a 414 onto ADAT with no assistance so the results are varied. I don't really care if someone sings in key. I prefer it if the music as feeling. Particularly in electronic music because lets face it this stuff can be a little sterile. :) - DJDM

Anything by Lou Reed... On the other hand, it's [i]so[/i] off key, maybe it's not even really meant to be considered singing.
Signatures can appear at the bottom of your posts. This option may be disabled by the message board administrators at any time, however. You may use UBB Code in your signature, but not HTML. UBB Code Images are permitted.

[quote]Originally posted by M Peasley: [b]To clarify, I'd make a distinction between vocalists who purposefully sing all over the place just as part of their style - like Dylan and Neil Young and Waits - vs. vocalists who really have some pipes like Henley and Plant and Morrison. M Peasley[/b][/quote]Don henley has pipes???!!! and dylan and tom waits don't? the only pipes don henley has are crack pipes. man...the stuff that passes for taste in here.

Nahhh - you don't understand what I mean. By "pipes" I mean people who have highly trained and developed voices who sing with volume, clarity, control, plus a big chunk of physical gifting. Their voices resonate fully in their chests and head. The opera singers have the most "pipes" - that's what they're into. Pop and rock singers with pipes are people like McCartney, Stevie Wonder, a whole bunch of female divas in the Whitney Houston legacy, etc. "Pipes" don't equate necessarily to "good", and not having pipes doesn't equate necessarily to "bad". But almost every singer would like to have a bigger voice, ie more pipes. I love to hear Waits and Dylan and Neil Young and Randy Newman and Mark Knopfler and all those guys....I'm not talking about taste - this is a more technical issue of intonation. Some people don't bother with it and somehow pull it off - don't need it. But they are the exception. M Peasley

Well, Indie rock is full of "character" singers whose pitch is barely adequate enough to state the melodies clearly. Stephen Malkmus and Jeff Tweedy come to mind. Both are pretty cool singers. I think every singer, or some cases entire bands, have a way of defining "in tune" for themselves. It's when everything is locked in and ONE note from the singer is badly out, that's pain.
Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Jeff Buckley Big Bird :) TBH I think that autotune is a damn curse. I just heard the current Dutch top40 Number1 artist "Lumidee" (some bimbo from spanish harlem, new york) sing live. She can't sing one single fucking note straight and I laughed so hard it brought tears to my eyes. Personally I'd advise the bitch to get a carreer as a cleaning lady or as a waitress but somehow some bastard managed to autotune the crap out of her and made her a star. Fuck autotuning. Edit: On the same stage Stacy Orrico (or whatever u spell that like) did sing pitch perfect so it wasn't the monitoring.
Stirring shit up since 1968

Just about anything by Astrud Gilberto is a bit out of tune. But imho, her voice is total *schwing!*. ;) Whoops! Lakeside beat me to it, and i didn't even notice!

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Archived