Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Ice skating music

Synthoid

My wife is a big fan of ice skating competitions on TV. Over the years I end up sitting through it once in awhile....sometimes with interest. Anyway, why is the music almost always classical during the skating?

Seems it would be far more interesting with some contemporary tunes or even tasteful electronic music, say, JMJ?

Anyone know what the rules are regarding "music to skate by" during competitions?

:snax:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not an expert, but from what I gather it's not about violating written rules, but more about violating unspoken traditions from the stuffy keepers (judges?) of said tradition.

I have seen contemporary music used in skating, but always in exhibition, never in Olympic or national championship competitions.

Moe

---

All I know is in those old roller rinks they used to have a lot of Hammonds. My buddy had pictures of them painted white sometimes with neon lights.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

My daughter has been an ice skater for about 7 years and the part "They probably want something that's timeless so that they can do the same routine for the rest of their careers." is probably a good explanation with it really not being so much the judges but the skating commission. Those who over see the skating rules and regulations. My daughter was learning a pairs dance and it was all based around the Old Organ waltzes. It was brutal just standing in there trying Not to listen and be a good dad with out walking over and ripping out the speaker wire. They could use a update to the music without a doubt.

Rod

Wow....no innovation? Nothing fresh?

Not sure what you're getting at. ???

When I read:

"They probably want something that's timeless so that they can do the same routine for the rest of their careers."

I was surprised. I didn't think a professional skater would want to do the same routine with the same music for the "rest of their career." It seems stale and lacking imagination. :(

A lot of classical music was written to tell a story. It can be very dynamic and it is easy to choreograph. It is hard to think of any pop music that can compare. BTs Flaming June might work but if someone follows with a routine skating to Waltz of the Flowers. However, I was sure there were skaters doing routines to modern music during the last Olympics.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

This seems pretty creative to me ...

[video:youtube]4bvu1df4r8A

... perhaps "too creative" a piece of music will distract from the skating, in some people's minds. Perhaps it's time for a cirque du soleil type synthesis of disciplines....

My wife used to compete internationally, so I asked her.

There are no rules about what music can be used, except for duration. The restriction on vocals in music was removed in 1990.

Figure skating is a product that is designed to appeal to the audience. If the audience cannot connect with the music, they will not connect with the performance... therefore, the music ends up more towards the middle of the road.

The acoustics in large venues also suck pretty bad, and sound systems in the practice venues vary in quality. This also puts some constraints on the type of music that can be used effectively.

Dance (as opposed to Free Skate) is judged partly on how the skaters sync with the beat of the music. Free Skate is judged on how the skater(s) interprets the mood of the music (but not how they sync up with the actual beat). You are more likely to hear 'new' types of music in dance, as the skaters reinforce the musical rhythms to help sell challenging music selections.

Finally, trends in the skating world are set by the top skaters who may be rewarded for pushing the envelope... risks taken by up & comers are more likely to be punished by the judges.

Finally, trends in the skating world are set by the top skaters who may be rewarded for pushing the envelope... risks taken by up & comers are more likely to be punished by the judges.

Hmmmm.....the "good old boys" attitudes. How sad.

:P

Archived