Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Inauguration Gig...pay guesses?

stepay

On Monday I mixed a gig at the MLK library with Herbie Hancock and Josh Groban. It was for "Feeding America". How either of them could play piano at the below freezing temperature is beyond me. I tried to play a bit when checking the Yamaha grand out during line check. OUCH!

I don't believe the artists got paid except for Josh's MD who played guitar.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ITGITC,

years ago I was at your stompin grounds, playing in Cary with the NC Symphony backin up a fella named Mike Cross. In the concert, the orchestra got up MIDSONG and left. :laugh: I kid you not, midsong. It wasnt that we were such pricks, the management insisted since staying onstage would have pushed us into overtime pay. He finished the gig alone.

Wow.

Yes. I am very familiar with Mike Cross. I own one of his LPs (on vinyl) and have heard him in concert many times. But I had not heard this story. Wow. It's hard to believe that the orchestra left the stage in midsong. That's a shame.

Thanks for your input and perspective. I went back to listen to the You Tube video. It all sounded great to me. I'll admit that I have an untrained ear when it comes to hearing the things you pointed out.

Like many, I was pretty blown away by the whole day. :thu:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Just heard on NPR that the piece performed by Yo Yo Ma and others was pre-recorded. They even interviewed Ma and he confirmed it.

:freak:

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/muppet/images/7/70/Arte1.jpg

Interesting... Vewy in ter est ing.

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090123/ap_en_mu/music_inauguration_quartet

Carole Florman hits the nail on the head -

But Carole Florman, a spokeswoman for the Joint Congressional Committee on Inaugural Ceremonies, says she doesn't understand what the fuss is all about.

"I think this is a whole lot of nothin'," she said on Friday. "These are world-class performers who are playing in 19 degree weather and the technical requirements of their instruments made it impossible for them to have their music amplified and know that it would be in tune. So they made, what I think, was probably a difficult decision to play to tape."

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Good find, Kevin.

Here's another great quote:

Don Mischer of Don Mischer Productions, which produced the pre-Inauguration "We Are One" concert, the last few Super Bowl halftime performances as well as two Olympics, says some kind of recorded music is often used at major events, especially when there are poor weather conditions.

"The main thing is that you want the music to sound good, and there are some conditions in which the music will not sound good," he said.

When I saw the performance I wondered if it was live. What gave it away for me was that I heard a close-miked violin, but didn't see a microphone close enough to record the sound that I was hearing.

Also, I know that the instruments are worth millions of dollars. You don't want to subject those instruments to sub-freezing temperatures. Yo Yo Mah was going to play a carbon fiber cello. LINK

http://www.luisandclark.com/images/YoYo-Ma.81106.101.jpg

He must've changed his mind.

I can't say that I blame the performers for taking the precautions that they did.

Can't blame 'em at all.

:snax:

They decoupled the piano keys from the hammers, thus a silent piano. YoYo Ma used a soap greased bow instead of resined bow.

http://www.npr.org/templates/player/mediaPlayer.html?action=1&t=1&islist=false&id=99816993&m=99816976

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Archived